This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

z-wave issues

RamonBaasRamonBaas Member
edited February 2016 in Devices
When trying to add a Fibaro wall plug Z-wave device (don't type 'zwave' in the search - it is 'z-wave'), the process gets stuck. I now have a lot of unknown nodes.

When including the device it does see it right away, but when 'interviewing' it, the process gets stuck.

Trying to exclude the node does not work (note the internal server errors BTW).

I also tried to use the process 'Remove Failed Node'. Similar problems.

A Fibaro FGD211 was added right away without a problem.

How do I remove the 'unknown nodes' and add the Wall Plug?

BTW: Using latest FW .17.

Comments

• RamonBaas said:

When adding the dimmer, how many devices did it detect?
    I've been trying for over an hour, can't get it to join :neutral: 
  • Fire69 said:
    When adding the dimmer, how many devices did it detect?
    I've been trying for over an hour, can't get it to join :neutral: 
    Just one.
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Mine is detected as 3 devices...

[edit]
    Ah, mine is a FGD212 (Dimmer 2) so that could explain the difference (power metering?).
    But still can't add it :/
  • RamonBaas said:
    When trying to add a Fibaro wall plug Z-wave device (don't type 'zwave' in the search - it is 'z-wave'), the process gets stuck. I now have a lot of unknown nodes.

When an interview proccess fails the device is added to the network but not to Homey. It shows up as an unknown device. You can remove the device by pressing the Remove Node button and putting the corresponding device in learnmode.

RamonBaas said:

When including the device it does see it right away, but when 'interviewing' it, the process gets stuck.

Sometimes a pair fails. This can have multiple reasons. Maybe a frame has dropped. This can happen once in a while. Or the device reacts different than expected. Please inform me which device can't pair at the moment if it fails multiple times so I can investigate this.

RamonBaas said:
    This is intended behavior. When a Remove Node button is pressed the process is started in the driver. Progress updates are displayed under the button that has been pressed to start the process. If the window is refreshed the process is still running in the driver but progress updates can't be received by the new settings page. When you try to start the process in a new window you get a message the process is already running. To end the process in the driver put a device in learnmode or wait 60 seconds for the process to time out.

RamonBaas said:

I also tried to use the process 'Remove Failed Node'. Similar problems.

This is also intended behavior. The Remove Failed node should only be used if the device is unreachable. Because the device can't be added to Homey yet doesn't make it unreachable. Use the Remove Node process and put your device in learnmode to remove the device from the network.

RamonBaas said:
    Use the Remove Node process to remove the devices. (there is a bug in 0.8.17 where they aren't removed from the dropdown immediately)
    If you preformed a factory reset on a device in the dropdown you won't be able to remove it through the Remove Node process (the node id in the device is erased and can't be match with a node id in Homey.). Now you have to use the Remove Failed Node button. If the device is not on the failed node list (because last time when the pairing failed it was reachable) press the Refresh Node button. After a few seconds the node should be placed on the failed node list because it can't be reached. Now you can remove or replace the failed device.

• Taco: thanks for the extensive reply.

Taco said:
    Please inform me which device can't pair at the moment if it fails multiple times so I can investigate this.
    As stated in the first sentence, a Fibaro Wall Plug. Also reported by other users: Homey won't add my zwave Fibaro Wall Plug.

Taco said:

RamonBaas said:
    This is intended behavior. When a Remove Node button is pressed the process is started in the driver. Progress updates are displayed under the button that has been pressed to start the process. If the window is refreshed the process is still running in the driver but progress updates can't be received by the new settings page. When you try to start the process in a new window you get a message the process is already running. To end the process in the driver put a device in learnmode or wait 60 seconds for the process to time out.
    As as user I did not refresh the window - I just waited. Still the error occurs. In the end the remove node process fails just like the include node process.
  • To add to that: as the exclusion did not work, I did a reset of the wall plug and tried to add it again. As a result it is now in the z-wave network multiple times (node 2, 3, 5, 7)?

• As as user I did not refresh the window - I just waited. Still the error occurs. In the end the remove node process fails just like the include node process.
    That means the callback isn't called. After 60 seconds your browser resends the button press and that call is answered with Process is busy. Looking into it.

Press the Reset Z-Wave Chip to restart the chip and kill the process. If that doesn't work reboot.
    To add to that: as the exclusion did not work, I did a reset of the wall plug and tried to add it again. As a result it is now in the z-wave network multiple times (node 2, 3, 5, 7)?
    You should't reset your device. Remove it using the Remove Node button otherwise you get ghost nodes in your network.
  • Taco said:

Press the Reset Z-Wave Chip to restart the chip and kill the process. If that doesn't work reboot.
    Resetting the Z-Wave chip & reloading the z-wave page showed the last node 7 was removed. That left nodes 2, 3 & 5. Tried to exclude the same wall plug again to see if that would remove another ghost node. The remove process did start, but gave this nice error:

Ok. So that didn't work.
    Taco said:

You should't reset your device. Remove it using the Remove Node button otherwise you get ghost nodes in your network.
    Resetting the device is the only option when the exclude doesn't work. The function is on the wall plug for a reason. It is a valid use-case that should be supported.

Now I had to completely reset the Z-Wave network to get rid of the ghost devices (which is not nice).

BTW: The Wall Plug is FGWPE/F-101. It still won't add to Homey.
  • For the record: I'm interested in getting a Fibaro Wall Plug myself (to let Homey track the electricity usage for the devices I plug in), so I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Here's hoping a solution is within reach!
  • Filed a GitHub issue for a similar issue trying to include Fibaro Dimmer 2. Suggest to file a GitHub issue for this one as well.
  • I was looking for the best place at the forum for my first contribution. I hope this is the right place.

Somewhere mid 2016 my newly built house will be finished. I plan to install then a couple of home automation devices right away to avoid later 'rebuilding' activities.

Related to that a few weeks ago I ordered a Homey. In the coming weeks I have to make a detailed planning for curtains, lightning, alarmthings, etc. My actual idea is going to use Z-wave devices like Fibaro as the basic system.
    Before making final decisions I would like to get answer and/or advices on the following question. Is or will Homey be (actually or in the future more stable next step) basically compatible with Z-wave devices of different brands? And annex to that, is or will there be a difference in compatibilty between the "old" Z-wave and the new Z-wave Plus?

Many thanks for replies on this!
  • I am currently using Domoticz as a Z-wave controller.
    I can see my Z-wave units after a reboot. But then to make them work i need to press Refresh Node for each node.
    I have a few Fibaro FGD212 Dimmer 2 as i use just as On/Off switches.
    But in Homey they work as dimmers. Can i change so they will work only as On/Off?

• You cannot remove the dim capability from a device in Homey. You can switch them on and off by clicking the socket icon.
  • That was sad.
    Then i will wait using Homey for my z-wave units.
    Can i inactivate the z-wave so i can go back to Domoticz?

• I can see my Z-wave units after a reboot. But then to make them work i need to press Refresh Node for each node.

Unfortunately, I'm having this issue also.
    At first it seemed like it was only a one time thing after I added the unit, but it keeps coming back.
  • In 0.8.19 Z-Wave will be more way stable.
  • Can you implement a function to make the z-wave inactive?
  • Because you won't be using it?
    I guess nothing is transmitted if you don't have any devices included?
  • For me, Homey took control over the z-wave network when i pressed the button Request Network Update.
    So now I can't use Domoticz for my z-wave, and i can't remove a node from Homey without removing it from Domoticz as well.

To make it more userfriendly it's better if the user know when a function is active or not.
  • The Request Network Update can't take over the primary role from the primary controller. It checks with the current primary controller if there are changes in the network topology and fetches them. Homey can only become the primary controller if you initiate a Controller Shift on the other controller first.

The buttons are grayed out when they are pressed until the process finishes.

Could you post a screenshot of you Z-Wave Settings page please?
  • Here is how my settings page looks like.

Here is my devices in Domoticz.
    Node 10 is Homey.

• If i press the Controller shift.
    It looks like this.

• JanH said:
    I was looking for the best place at the forum for my first contribution. I hope this is the right place.

Somewhere mid 2016 my newly built house will be finished. I plan to install then a couple of home automation devices right away to avoid later 'rebuilding' activities.

Related to that a few weeks ago I ordered a Homey. In the coming weeks I have to make a detailed planning for curtains, lightning, alarmthings, etc. My actual idea is going to use Z-wave devices like Fibaro as the basic system.
    Before making final decisions I would like to get answer and/or advices on the following question. Is or will Homey be (actually or in the future more stable next step) basically compatible with Z-wave devices of different brands? And annex to that, is or will there be a difference in compatibilty between the "old" Z-wave and the new Z-wave Plus?

Many thanks for replies on this!
    On feb 15 I posted these questions.
    Because of the actual planning according to my new house I would be very happy getting an answer on the question about z-wave and/or z-wave plus.
    Could  anybody on this forum give a hint?

tnx!
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    In theory, Homey should be compatible with almost all modules, no matter what brand they are.
    Homey has a Z-wave Plus chip, which supports better range and higher bitrate and such.
    But Z-wave Plus is backwards compatible, so the non-plus devices should work just as good.
  • @Fire69 tnx for your helpful reply
  • @Taco because refreshing the zwave network, exclusion and removing failed node aint working I'm ending up with ghost devices. I've read that in .19 zwave functionality will be more stable but I need some advice. Should I wait for this version to be released (and then remove the ghost devices) or would it be better to reset the zwave network now (and having to re-add the zwave devices that are working properly).
  • .19 can take several weeks, so a geek would reset his homey :smile: 
  • Yeah, but if you reset it now, you still have the risk of ending up with ghost devices again when adding your devices :)
  • MarcoF said:
    .19 can take several weeks, so a geek would reset his homey :smile: 
    Who said I was a geek ... :wink:  .. but even if so, why would I reset my Homey as most other stuff I have configured is working right now... :tongue:  I was only asking about resetting the zwave network. And as I have most of it working I'm reluctant to do so and could even wait a couple of weeks if that would eventually enable me to remove the ghost devices.
  • If you reset the Z-Wave chip is cleared with all the network data (same as Reset Z-Wave Network button). If you choose to do this you also have to reset all your devices manually before you can include them in another network. This because they contain the network data of the network you've removed by resetting the primary controller. An alternative to resetting all devices is to run a Remove process on any controller. This will also clear the network data in the devices.

I recommend not to reset Homey and wait for 0.8.18 (if problems still exist 0.8.19). Your Z-Wave network data is save on the Z-Wave chip inside Homey. This chip runs standalone even when Homey has crashed. In this case your network is fine but you're just missing your interface through Homey.