This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Prevent smartplugs from switching by locking them on the software side

With my vera itsn't possible to prevent smartplugs from switching.
Before Vera i had Plugwise and with that system it was possible to lock an plug in on/off mode.

Is it with Homey possible to lock plugs on the software side, so i could prevent switching of the DHW boiler.

Comments

• hope to see this in some sort of release/update.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Were you still able to switch the plug using a different remote? Because it's easy to prevent switching in Homey, but preventing other remotes from switching requires functionality in the plug itself.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2015
    Sorry, but i meant Z-wave smartplugs.

With my Vera i use "ImperiHome Pro" on my Android device's.
    The app has for every "room" an "tab", so i need to slide about 10 "tabs" from "achtertuin" to "zolder".
    It happens very often, that wen i slide an "tab", i accidentally "push" an on/off button of a Smartplug.
    In some cases its not an problem (turning the Coffeemachine off), but in other cases important devices (aquarium/DHW-boiler/CentralVentilation) went off.

I know that you can't prevent switching off plugs with their physical button, but it would be great if Homey's API of lowlevel code makes it possible to "lock" devices from switch through Speech, Apps, WebGUI.

Plugwise had this in there software and in the parameter of the device you could lock an "plug" in its current state. As long as the plug is locked, you could not switch it. So if you want to switch the plug, you first need to unlock it in the "admin" (or so).

"So by adding an "Lock" switch/parameter to an device, prevent switching devices on/off"

Is this something you could add to Homey?
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Alright, I get it. Our mobile app design is already better than swiping through your zones, so the problem won't happen luckily.

Maybe we could add an option to secure devices with a pin code, for example. This is already required for security devices such as locks, so it wouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Ok and you're welcome!

Swiping through the App is just an example.

Locking an device in its current switching state would (for me) be a great feature to prevent important device to switching off.
This discussion has been closed.