This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Touch screen / tablet

To get a real next gen experiance i would like a touch screen in one ore more rooms.
There are so much options that i can't choose.

My first idea is to use an android tablet/ phone (depending on room size).
Then when finally we can set rights/ users i can also setup personal interface that are on room so only available room tech is online. Using tablet/ phones gives the bennefit of mic and speaker and can act like a webcam to (front cam due to wall montage).

All is just an idea, how to go from here?

Comments

• WeatherlightWeatherlight Member
    edited February 2016
    Android or Apple tablet or phone is a good idea, but depending on what you want to do with it, they can be expensive. An other option could maybe a Raspberry Pi with 7" (or smaller) touchscreen. Highly customisable and not that expensive, might take a little more time to setup depending on your needs. By adding a battery and wifi dongle you could get it wireless, just building a simple enclosure yourself and you're done :smile: 

When I get my Homey, this is something i'm definitly gonna try!
  • tunftunf Member
    edited February 2016
    Just an app idea:
    Official homey end node app;
    Based upon user logged in ;
    - controll lights
    - set room defaults
    - control other rooms
    - play multimedia from x to y (in room) or on device controlling
    - (front door) intercom.
    - homey speach command
    - chat / talk to others in the house (skype internal)
    - temp. controll / reading

To setup more settings, use nfc card on homey (2 level authentication)
    Users cannot logoff but need a card to validate (or web access).
  • Android or Apple tablet or phone is a good idea, but depending on what you want to do with it, they can be expensive. An other option could maybe a Raspberry Pi with 7" (or smaller) touchscreen. Highly customisable and not that expensive, might take a little more time to setup depending on your needs. By adding a battery and wifi dongle you could get it wireless, just building a simple enclosure yourself and you're done :smile: 

new, you're right but before it is all nice, small and up and running you're still above 100,- I'm not talking new devices but second hand, it will be on charger for ever so battery life isn't relevant. Only wifi so 3 or 4 g is not an issue.
    Phablets witht 6 inch or so for about 40/50 euro. create an rvs bracket and a great app/ buttons.

If the app is great (assume it can be) then there is the question that after restart how to startup the app directly. Using a good bracket covers the buttons and prevent that from use.
  • tunf said:
    Android or Apple tablet or phone is a good idea, but depending on what you want to do with it, they can be expensive. An other option could maybe a Raspberry Pi with 7" (or smaller) touchscreen. Highly customisable and not that expensive, might take a little more time to setup depending on your needs. By adding a battery and wifi dongle you could get it wireless, just building a simple enclosure yourself and you're done :smile: 

new, you're right but before it is all nice, small and up and running you're still above 100,- I'm not talking new devices but second hand, it will be on charger for ever so battery life isn't relevant. Only wifi so 3 or 4 g is not an issue.
    Phablets witht 6 inch or so for about 40/50 euro. create an rvs bracket and a great app/ buttons.

If the app is great (assume it can be) then there is the question that after restart how to startup the app directly. Using a good bracket covers the buttons and prevent that from use.
    Hmm that's a lot less than i expected, so maybe a second hand phablet isn't such a bad idea. Then again, still gonna try:smile:.

Although, i'm not sure what will happen to the battery when they are on power all the time. I mean, maybe safer to just dump the battery's and work on power only.
    (mind you, i'm not really into battery's and chargers, so maybe this does not matter) 
  • tunf said:

i was thinking,
    a computer can start up from sleepmode.   (wake on lan)
    does somebody know if this is possible whit a tablet?
    perhaps there is also a possebility to auto restart.
  • @Emile can you shine a light if this will be possible (especially the app is the important thing)
    would be super ultra cool and is a life changer as no alternative has such an option!
  • If you only want to use tour tablet for touch make sure you get an Android 6.0 tablet or cyanogen so you can set Android permissions. Otherwise the homey app will always trigger on voice commands.
  • If you only want to use tour tablet for touch make sure you get an Android 6.0 tablet or cyanogen so you can set Android permissions. Otherwise the homey app will always trigger on voice commands.
    thats what i want but only on the user rights (in the near future). so no special need for android 6
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm also very interested on an external display. There are a lot of cheap android tablet for 40-80€

Does someone of you have an idea, that the display automatically wake up if you stand in front of it?
    i think it's kind of unpractical if you always have to remove the look screen. 
    And if the display is always on, it could be very expensive at the end of the year. 
    Is it possible to use something like a motion detector? Or are there any android apps witch use the front camera to wake up the tablet?

update: I've found an android app, witch wake up the tablet by using the front camera. 
    Is there someone of you who can try it? Actually I've only iOS tablets.

. It would be perfect if the tablet open the homey app after detecting motion in front of the tablet.

https://imperihome.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201369913-Alternative-front-camera-wake-up-method
  • that nice,  very nice.
    but, i can not find it in the app store
  • Here another person who build his own frame for his tablets, to control his smart home. 
    Its in my main language German, but there a a lot of good pictures, witch show the process of his project. 

I hope that its ok, that I'll post this link here. 

http://smarthomeprogrammer.com/de/2014/12/10/tabletrahmen-fur-wandeinbau/

• Gah, I've still got an old laptop display somewhere, for which I bought a touch screen from somewhere in China. Combine this with my pi2 that should be a spare in a month or two.. Result is awesomeness!!

So. Many. Projects.