This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

How do you know homey were am i?

2»

Comments

• That definitely sounds interesting, but iBeacons at that price aren't anything special (talking about Ali etc). The question is how accurate they are, and if they can even be integrated with Homey. Don't forget that it's not actually about these iBeacons talking to Homey, but about them talking to the app on the device you are wearing (iOS, Android, wearables). Meaning it has to be implemented not in the Homey orb, but in the Homey app. The other thing, as said, is that they're not consistent in reliability. I'm just saying this from first hand experience. I actually really like the idea and if this would end up being implemented I would be one of the first people to make an order for these :D just being a bit skeptical and realistic.
  • @tommyjay ;
    Good points! 
  • I wasn't really meaning precise locations *within* a room. It would be nice if Homey would know in *which* room I am, for instance to switch on lights, or play music there. I still think iBeacons are usable for that...

Oh and @MarcoF I prefer to replace the batteries instead of the whole beacon... That makes it 14 x 2 = 28 euro a year ;).
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    For room location you need also a lot of beacons. 

I also prefer changing batteries, but a lot of devices can swap batteries. So check it before you buy them :heart: :wink: 

I'm not going to use them, it's an very expensive and (I think/believe) not working in "small" houses where high precision and accuracy is needed. 

Have fun with your future Beacons! 

• fuzzybearfuzzybear Member
    edited February 2016
    I think a mixture of all the technoligies available within Homey would provide the best accuracy, as mentioned here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_positioning_system
    There are several methods that can be used and zones could be created with each seperate method of detection from wifi (rssi), ibeacons and bluetooth. Hopefully Athom will look carefully into this and use a mix of the possibilities.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    For good indoor positioning you need multiple measure points. 2 beacons set on 4-6 meter cover most family homes, but make it almost impossible to says if a person is in the living room of in a bedroom on the first floor. 
    Wireless technology creates a bubble that goes through walls and floors. So you need to set the Beacons at such a distance that the stay on one floor and in most homes this means the maximum distance must stay below 1,5m (3 meter radius). 

WiFi creates bubbles of 10-20 meters and is "useless" unless you use multiple WiFi signals. 
  • Maybe this is of some use for the bubbles http://anyplace.cs.ucy.ac.cy/

• This looks interesting...

• Do you need these? Why not consider the use of motion detectors in every room and some appropriate flows?
  • You can use iBeacons / or Beacons with the homey "owntracks"  app this will enable you to make flows with these devices.