This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey help, what are my options

Now that delivery is coming closer and closer my family also has some demands;

Is there or will there be some help functions with voicecontrol;
OK Homey, help
... i will help you.... where do you want help with.....
heating, temperatuur,
..... you can ask, ok homey, what is the temp in room xyz or add x degree in room xyz

lights,
..... you can ask to put lights on or off in area or room xyz
..... you can ask to dim or brigthen lights

etc. etc. etc.

is this possible or on the roadmap?

Comments

• sounds like a rtfm.

:heart:
  • Sounds like something that should be possible, in the flow editor... but you will most likely have to set it up yourself. So don't expect this to work straight out of the box when your Homey arrives.

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited February 2016
    To me sounds like something possible in a few years to be satisfactory, not earlier. (Satisfactory for me would be AI.)  Asking a fixed question "in between" though might be possible in a matter of months, one year. But I'm not Athom. Dunno if it should have priority. Don't think so, but would be awesome!
  • Sounds possible if there is a Homey-wiki. ;) Homey can already give information from wikipedia.org, so why not from an other wiki.. 
  • Speech to Homey is very natural.... 
    At home if you ask someone to do something for you, you use certain keywords so the other person knows what to do.
    Mostly its something like this;
    "Honey, would you please "turn on(action)" the "lights(devicetype)" in the "kitchen(area)"?"
    "Honey, would you please "turn on(action)" the "kitchenlights(device name)"?"
    "Honey, would you please "turn on(action)" the "backyardlights(device name)"?"

So:
    1. devices belong to a certain area (In Building/Room/garden)
    2. devices have a name
    3. devices are a certain type
    4. devices can do something(action) on/off/dimmed/turned up/down / 

Combining those four points makes almost everything possible and that in a natural way.
    • OK Homey, open(action) garagedoor(devicename)
    • OK Homey, open(action) the door(devicetype) in the garage(area)
    • OK Homey, lights(devicetype) on(action) in the livingroom(area)
    • OK Homey, hallway(area) lights(devicetype) on(action)

I to logical for and I have no idea why this should be right down in a Wiki, Manual (:wink:), etc.

• I to logical for and I have no idea why this should be right down in a Wiki, Manual (:wink:), etc.
    Agree for all time users but my parents and babysitters gets instructions in seconds and we're off so that is why a help is feeling save and can help the end user which is not always the homey owner.

I really think like in more stuff the help me where i'm now feature is nice to have.
  • tunf said:

I to logical for and I have no idea why this should be right down in a Wiki, Manual (:wink:), etc.
    Agree for all time users but my parents and babysitters gets instructions in seconds and we're off so that is why a help is feeling save and can help the end user which is not always the homey owner.

I really think like in more stuff the help me where i'm now feature is nice to have.
    The problem is that a general help feature would be way too extensive.
    A general help feature should include all the possibilities of Homey, including stuff you don't even have (a help file should contain information about how to turn hue lights blue, but maybe you don't have hue lights).

Making a help file based on your devices will be complicated, because you only give your devices names once, which I plan to give quite 'handy' names, such as 'livingroomlight1' and 'kitchenoutletright', so I know what I'm selecting in Flows. If Homey were to call on these names in help files, you can understand that shit will hit the fan (I love that expression :D)
  • This is a pretty good idea I think. It will help general adoption of the Homey, also by the less techie people in da house :-)

I can imagine that you could just write a 'help' app for this. Depending on permissions within Homey, I would think it might be possible for this help app to find out which voice agents are registered (i.e. which apps are installed and what the main triggers for those apps are). I can imagine though that the installed apps would also need to use some agreed standard format that the help app has access to.

Just thinking out loud here. 
  • MikeOne said:
    This is a pretty good idea I think. It will help general adoption of the Homey, also by the less techie people in da house :-)

I can imagine that you could just write a 'help' app for this. Depending on permissions within Homey, I would think it might be possible for this help app to find out which voice agents are registered (i.e. which apps are installed and what the main triggers for those apps are). I can imagine though that the installed apps would also need to use some agreed standard format that the help app has access to.

Just thinking out loud here. 
    Could be possible for the apps indeed, just a sort of FAQ included with each app that Homey will speak out loud when asked.

Not sure how Flows can be incorporated in this.
  •  

Could be possible for the apps indeed, just a sort of FAQ included with each app that Homey will speak out loud when asked.

Not sure how Flows can be incorporated in this.

What perhaps is possible is to create a help flow,

help.... ask category,.... lights, list apps lights installed, ask help for which app, name the app read the basic help for that app.

It is almost about what i would like and also sounds more friendly then nothing. Still think that a general help, basic list of help/ commando's would be the best and to all homey's

Ok homey ehlp.

How can i help u, you can choose lights, heating, crutens (max 5?)

....... lights

You can use oke homey, lights on/ off / dim and then call the rooms

......on

Which area/ room? u can choose, livingroom, kitchen (list the area's where there is a light option)

This is the most natural way i think.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    OK Homey, could you help me what to say if I want to turn on my kitchen lights?!

Homeys answer; I turned on the kitchen lights :smile: 

OK Homey, could you help me to close my livingroom curtains?

Homeys answer; I closed the livingroom curtains :smile: 

:neutral: 

The idea of helping out the nanny is good, but with user permissions this could also be a pain in the ... 

Then you need to configure the Nanny user permissions... The same for neighbors when the feed our cat etc. 

A light switch is a very good, easy and trustful tool. 

This discussion has been closed.