This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

BeNext RFID/NFC Tag Reader

Was looking for a NFC reader and found  this one:
https://shop.benext.eu/product_info.php?products_id=44&language=nl

Manual;
http://www.benext.eu/static/manual/tagreader.pdf

The reader is compatible with the following protocols;
Protocols supported ISO15693, ISO18000-3, Tag-it™, RFID

My question now;
Can Homey talk to this unit and receive RFID/NFC tag/codes from this unit at the same way the builtin reader does?

Comments

• Create your own with an arduino and the Homey > Arduino lib. I was thinking about doing a project like that.
  • Have this unit at home:
    http://www.dx.com/p/rfid-rc522-rf-ic-card-sensor-module-blue-silver-203517

The arduino solution/approach has a very low WAF....
    The BeNext has also a few nice buttons which can be used to trigger different flows and it looks "fancy" (better WAF).

So i'm very curious if this unit can/will work at the same way the "native" NFC reader of Homey works.

• edited January 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Have this unit at home:
    http://www.dx.com/p/rfid-rc522-rf-ic-card-sensor-module-blue-silver-203517

The arduino solution/approach has a very low WAF....
    The BeNext has also a few nice buttons which can be used to trigger different flows and it looks "fancy" (better WAF).

So i'm very curious if this unit can/will work at the same way the "native" NFC reader of Homey works.

Hmm, the BeNext card sensor is a zwave device, but it looks like the device does not actually broadcast the actual tag ID's to the zwave controller. Instead, it stores the tag identification locally and combines the tags with users. Therefore, it may be possible to pair this device with homey, and use it as an alarm system and receive arm and disarm events, but it seems unlikely to me that it will actually be able to function as a real remote NFC scanner for unknown cards though. 

@Taco: Could you confirm whether or not i'm right?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    @JeroenVollenbrock ;
    Thanks for the detailed response!
    I hope @Taco can let his expertise shine over this topic :smile: 

• It seems you cannot relay the tag information. It has nice extended documentation so this an app could be made fairly easy for this device.
  • Thanx guys! I wait for my homey and then maybe going to by this unit.

:heart:
  • Looks like Zipato bought from the same manufactorer: https://www.intellihome.be/nl/z-wave-zipato-mini-keypad-rfid-z-wave.html this one seems a reasonable price. On Amazon and other webshops the prices differ very much!
  • Another one, I think this is the actual manufactorer: http://www.wintop.com/Home/Pagelist/index/id/21

It seems like BeNext is sold without a tag and the Zipato with a tag. A BeNext tag seems to ve around € 10,00. Way to expensive, Banggood sells these for less than a Euro.
  • Found this site today;
    https://www.123nfc.nl/

most of the NFC/RFID stickers/key-chains are < €1,=
  • Its a nice and cheap wireless NFC tag reader, but have anyone found a nicer looking reader? Something like this? Don't have to be Zwave, 433 is ok too.

I want to mount one in the hallway. So Homey knows who's home and how to 'setup' the house. For example, wife comes home, holds her NFC tag for the the reader, TV starts with the 24Cooking channel, lights in the kichen go on, heating goes up a couple degrees. ;)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Who that's a cool looking device!

Did some resource on it and found it uses "DSSS, 2.4 GHz". I have no idea if this can work with Homey.
    Some more info;
    http://www.essence-grp.com/data/upl/Tag_reader_ESUG05065_we_are_at_home_ES800TR_V4.0_DS.pdf

• Its a nice and cheap wireless NFC tag reader, but have anyone found a nicer looking reader? Something like this? Don't have to be Zwave, 433 is ok too.

I want to mount one in the hallway. So Homey knows who's home and how to 'setup' the house. For example, wife comes home, holds her NFC tag for the the reader, TV starts with the 24Cooking channel, lights in the kichen go on, heating goes up a couple degrees. ;)
    Well, the one sounds great! You can also find other RFID reader from Syncotek.com - one manufacturer, i think some kiosk RFID reader can meet your needs.
  • KinnieDharKinnieDhar Member
    edited April 2016
    As per my knowledge the BeNext card sensor is a zwave device, but it looks like the device does not actually broadcast the actual tag ID's to the zwave controller.
    Actually it stores the tag identification locally and combines the tags with users. Therefore, it may be possible to pair this device with homey, and use it as an alarm system and receive arm and disarm events.

hdi pcbs
  • FreeFragsFreeFrags Member
    edited December 2016
    @MarcoF I got some tags from the link you posted, have you got any idea how to get them to work with the benext reader?

The tag benext sent with the device cant be copied by the android apps NFC Tools and NFC Tag cloner

ok seems like the tags are just not compatible the tag sent with the reader is ISO15693 and the ones from the link are ISO14443-3A. I sent an email to ask if they have the other tags as well and am now stuck with 10 for me useless RFID tags :( classic case of RTFM
  • Sorry to bump an old thread but wondering how you guys are getting on with the tag reader? 
    I see there is an app for the BeNext one but not for Zipato (as they differ slightly)

Did you find compatible tags?
    It is suitable for home security? What happens if the battery dies - does it retain information, does the alarm die?
  • vaderag said:
    Sorry to bump an old thread but wondering how you guys are getting on with the tag reader? 
    I see there is an app for the BeNext one but not for Zipato (as they differ slightly)

It is suitable for home security? What happens if the battery dies - does it retain information, does the alarm die?
    I have been using it for two days now.

yes, you can see who is using the tag. You can give the tag a username. 
    no, i did not find any compatible tags (yet). I asked a webshop and they answered with me with a few tags, but I did not order them yet. 
    I don't know what happens if the battery dies. I have a flow warning me if its at 10% and i'll make sure to replace it before its dead. 

And overall, i like it very much and I use it as my alarm system. 
  • quakerix said:
    vaderag said:
    Sorry to bump an old thread but wondering how you guys are getting on with the tag reader? 

no, i did not find any compatible tags (yet). I asked a webshop and they answered with me with a few tags, but I did not order them yet. 
    I don't know what happens if the battery dies. I have a flow warning me if its at 10% and i'll make sure to replace it before its dead. 

Thank you for the response - sounds great - looks like i'll order. The $10 tags seem a bit pricey but should only need a few... would be nice if we could work out how to set up a new on on a $1 nfc tag tho!
  • quakerix said:
    vaderag said:

One additional question - how long is the code allowed to be? I see only 1-4 which doesnt leave many combinations if only 4 digits. And can the code be used instead of the RFID tag? Or is it as well as?
  • vaderag said:
    quakerix said:
    vaderag said:

One additional question - how long is the code allowed to be? I see only 1-4 which doesnt leave many combinations if only 4 digits. And can the code be used instead of the RFID tag? Or is it as well as?
    I did not tested the code functionality. I think you'll be able to find that info in the manual (google it).  I got a reply from a webshop to buy a certain tag. Have not found the time yet to do it yet.

https://www.rfidplaza.nl/collections/keyfobs

so no idea if it works. Let me know :D
  • quakerixquakerix Member
    edited September 2017
    Oh btw. you get 1 tag with the device.  This is the settings page:

• quakerix said:
    Oh btw. you get 1 tag with the device.  This is the settings page:

Thank you. 
    I need to find someone selling this to the UK now, but seems this is what i need :)
  • Bought the Benext Tagreader 500 a week ago including 4 (benext) tags. Successfully added  the Tag reader, but the tags don't work.
    Looked @ "the stuff for geeks" but cannot find the command ALARM_REPORT_V2 in the log. 
    Spotted the text "Received application command for an unknown Command Class".

Has someone got this devce working yet? Is this an app issue or did I miss out of some essential installation steps?
    Thanks in advance
  • Zev said:
    Bought the Benext Tagreader 500 a week ago including 4 (benext) tags. Successfully added  the Tag reader, but the tags don't work.
    Looked @ "the stuff for geeks" but cannot find the command ALARM_REPORT_V2 in the log. 
    Spotted the text "Received application command for an unknown Command Class".

Has someone got this devce working yet? Is this an app issue or did I miss out of some essential installation steps?
    Thanks in advance
    So I don't have this (yet) but I did have a good browse of the instructions a few weeks back. 
    Forgive me if this is wrong or you've already done it, but from memory I think you need to associate the tags on the device itself - it won't work with them as standard. All the recognition of the tags takes place locally on the device
  • With default instalation it works, kind off. You have to add users first. Then put the tag reader in registration mode. Hit Home, present tag, refresh  your benext app settings screen in Homey, assign the new found tag to an user. Start with that and let us know how it went.
  • ingmar said:
    With default instalation it works, kind off. You have to add users first. Then put the tag reader in registration mode. Hit Home, present tag, refresh  your benext app settings screen in Homey, assign the new found tag to an user. Start with that and let us know how it went.
    I cannot find the registration mode. You mean local mode?
    Home button + code + enter button creates an ID. Adding a tag does not work in the same way... A tag is not added

In manual I found:
    class: 0x70 COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION_V1
    7. Operation mode
    Description: The mode that the Tag Reader 500 communicates with the associated gateway.
    Default: 0x00 (command class entry control)
    Size: 1 byte*
    Param1: 0x00: the RFID and Numeric codes are reported in gateway mode 0x01 – 0xFF: the RFID and Numeric codes are reported in local mode
    Param2, 3, 4: Not used

Should I use  @ "the stuff for geeks" ,  "Send Raw Data" textbox the text 10,0x70,0x01 to put tag reader in local mode?
  • The tag reader should be in gateway modus for best use. I did however have some trouble setting the variable of the tag reader to gateway modus. You have to try that quite often/ put batteries in and out etc. Bit trial and error this device. But once installed it's working good :)
  • The tag reader should be in gateway modus for best use. I did however have some trouble setting the variable of the tag reader to gateway modus. You have to try that quite often/ put batteries in and out etc. Bit trial and error this device. But once installed it's working good :)

The tag reader should be in gateway modus for best use. I did however have some trouble setting the variable of the tag reader to gateway modus. You have to try that quite often/ put batteries in and out etc. Bit trial and error this device. But once installed it's working good :)
    The tag reader should be in gateway modus for best use. I did however have some trouble setting the variable of the tag reader to gateway modus. You have to try that quite often/ put batteries in and out etc. Bit trial and error this device. But once installed it's working good :)
    So there is hope :-)

Do you use tags?

In setting page > Benext app I see: current reoprt status: Gateway.
    When using home button + code + ENTER a ID is created. Using the same method using the tags (as descibed in the manual), an ID is not created.
    I want to use the tags, so code only is not an option.

Cheers, Zev