This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

Official Homey Android App discussion topic

Comments

• No prob, no Homey to set up here yet... Glad I decided to report it anyway... :)
  • Lol, I also noticed the app crashed and though to report the bug, but that no longer seems to be needed.

Guess I'm not the only one who sometimes opens the app just to look at it while waiting for my Homey :) #anticipation. 
  • JaapPelt said:

Guess I'm not the only one who sometimes opens the app just to look at it while waiting for my Homey :) #anticipation. 
    According to the Play Store the app has 100+ downloads while only 13 customers and some Athom employees have an actual Homey ... :blush: 
  • DSWDSW Member
    dido
  • Phuturist said:
    JaapPelt said:

According to the Play Store the app has 100+ downloads while only 13 customers and some Athom employees have an actual Homey ... :blush: 
    Around 400 active installations actually :) I'm surprised so many people have installed the app already!
  • superice said:
    Phuturist said:
    JaapPelt said:

Around 400 active installations actually :) I'm surprised so many people have installed the app already!
    So we can find any (start-up) bugs that may prevent us from playing with our much anticipated Homey once it arrives? ;)

• To night the app got a update and it work again :love: 
  • supericesuperice Member
    edited January 2016
    MarcoF said:
    To night the app got a update and it work again love 
    Happy to hear that :)
  • Some apps have a beta program. Would it be an idea for Homey to adopt a similar strategy? I'd use the beta app by default and temporarily fall back to the stable version when something is broken. 
  • JaapPelt said:
    Some apps have a beta program. Would it be an idea for Homey to adopt a similar strategy? I'd use the beta app by default and temporarily fall back to the stable version when something is broken. 
    Great idea. Actually, we use that already, but nobody has the link. When I start adding the next round of features (widgets for example) I'll make sure I'll make those available in beta testing first ;)
  • Are you guys going to share the Beta version with us or can we participate in the program?
  • Is there already some basic Android Wear support ?
  • Just released a new version of the app, version 1.1.2 ,which should be coming to you this very night :) This fixes the last issues with Android 4.4 and lower; the 1.1.2 release should now be mostly bug-free, and entirely crash-free.

I'm working on some infrared stuff in the main Homey software, once that's done, I'll look into the widgets to trigger flows. To prevent crashes and bugs in the future, I'm going to use the Google Play beta testing, which you can sign up for! Disclaimer: if you sign up for the beta, you'll most likely encounter bugs and even app crashes sometimes, especially if you're on Android 4.4 or lower!
  • Great :heart: 

Bring me the beta (and my Homey :naughty: )!
  • MarcoWijkMarcoWijk Member
    edited January 2016
    superice said:
    Just released a new version of the app, version 1.1.2 ,which should be coming to you this very night This fixes the last issues with Android 4.4 and lower; the 1.1.2 release should now be mostly bug-free, and entirely crash-free.

I'm working on some infrared stuff in the main Homey software, once that's done, I'll look into the widgets to trigger flows. To prevent crashes and bugs in the future, I'm going to use the Google Play beta testing, which you can sign up for! Disclaimer: if you sign up for the beta, you'll most likely encounter bugs and even app crashes sometimes, especially if you're on Android 4.4 or lower!
    @suprice Eh..a surprise... just getting "kan kaartjes niet laden". Voice is working-ish, and app crashes after a minute or so... was working fine before. Or i get the 'floorplan' without any of my devices, while Homey's working fine, Please fix or revert...
  • supericesuperice Member
    edited January 2016
    MarcoWijk said:
    superice said:
    Just released a new version of the app, version 1.1.2 ,which should be coming to you this very night This fixes the last issues with Android 4.4 and lower; the 1.1.2 release should now be mostly bug-free, and entirely crash-free.

@suprice Eh..a surprise... just getting "kan kaartjes niet laden". Voice is working-ish, and app crashes after a minute or so... was working fine before. Or i get the 'floorplan' without any of my devices, while Homey's working fine, Please fix or revert...
    You're absolutely sure the update of tonight introduced this? I could imagine this happening with 1.1 or 1.1.1, but 1.1.2 has barely any changes, except for a few tiny bugfixes. If 1.1 and/or 1.1.1 worked fine, then 1.1.2 should break anything. When it crashes, could you please submit those as a bug report? What do you mean exactly by 'floorplan'? 
  • @suprice It's the 1.1.2 I've checked. By 'Floorplan' i mean the plans like 'Groundfloor', 'Hallway' etc. It now doesn't crash (yet) but keeps loading for a while... then nothing.

• MarcoWijk said:
    @suprice It's the 1.1.2 I've checked. By 'Floorplan' i mean the plans like 'Groundfloor', 'Hallway' etc. It now doesn't crash (yet) but keeps loading for a while... then nothing.
    Hmm... I'll see if I can find anything. Very odd...
  • @superice Perhaps this snapshot will help?

• Is there a way to determine if the beta is installed? 
    Yesterday around 8:30 signed up for the Beta, late in the evening (19:00 ?!) I got a update, but no idea which version (bugfix for "kan kaartjes niet laden?)
  • MarcoF said:
    Is there a way to determine if the beta is installed? 
    Yesterday around 8:30 signed up for the Beta, late in the evening (19:00 ?!) I got a update, but no idea which version (bugfix for "kan kaartjes niet laden?)
    Hmm, not sure. I think you'd be able to see it in the Play Store when you navigate to the Homey app page. For this specific case: I haven't posted any new versions in the beta channel yet, so it'll be the 1.1.2 update. When I do submit a new version to either beta or stable I'll make sure I tell you guys about it here.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Maybe its an idea to mark the background in some way so users can see which version (Beta or Official) the are running and in case of the Beta which release it is.

The Beta page says: "Het kan een paar uur duren voordat je de update krijgt."
    The only update i received was 12 hours later, so is it the Beta that was push at that time or the new official release.

Android>settings>apps>Homey>app-info says: version 1.1.2
    Installed the App "System Info for Android", displays the following info:
    • Package-name: com.athom.homey
    • Version-name: 1.1.2 Version-code:28
    • UID: 10109
    • Install-date 27-jan-2016 9:45:38 p.m.
    • - A lot of (required) permissions/features/services/flags.
    • - A couple of certificates (on Rick's name).

So its very unclear which version i'm running now.
  • MarcoF said:
    Maybe its an idea to mark the background in some way so users can see which version (Beta or Official) the are running and in case of the Beta which release it is.

The Beta page says: "Het kan een paar uur duren voordat je de update krijgt."
    The only update i received was 12 hours later, so is it the Beta that was push at that time or the new official release.

So its very unclear which version i'm running now.
    Yes, I see your point. However, because of technical reasons this is hard to do: when a beta-build is deemed stable, I can just push the same version to stable. When I apply a background, this is much harder; I'd have to remove it, and recompile the app before I can release a stable version.

I have a solution though: in the left hand menu I'll add a version and build number in small print, so you can always identify your version easily. Because of the reason I mentioned before it's hard to add a beta-label, but you can always see your current version :)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Great!!

Edited my previous post with some extra info, is that enough info to say if its Beta of Stable?

(Looks like the left hand menu is not accessible if there's no homey configured (just saying and not a real problem for now :smile: ))
  • MarcoF said:
    Great!!

Edited my previous post with some extra info, is that enough info to say if its Beta of Stable?

(Looks like the left hand menu is not accessible if there's no homey configured (not a real problem for now, just saying :smile: ))
    Right, that's true. The app version, 1.1.2 combined with the version code (= build number) is enough to say if it's beta or stable. Currently you're running stable. 

The versioning scheme is pretty simple. Using format x.y.z, x signifies major changes, for example an entire rewrite of the app. Y signifies new features, or major changes. Z are bugfixes mostly.

My plan is to run betatesting on every y change; so currently 1.1.x means you're in stable, 1.2.x would be beta. As soon as I deem 1.2.x stable enough, I'll push it to stable, and we'll shift to 1.2.x for stable and 1.3.x for beta and so on. I'm going to announce stable releases (and probably beta as well) here in this topic, so if you're not sure, you can always check here :)
  • OK! :heart: 

Next question;
    I signed up for the beta 26 hours ago, why I'm still running Stable?
  • MarcoF said:
    OK! :heart: 

Next question;
    I signed up for the beta 26 hours ago, why I'm still running Stable?
    Because I haven't made any beta releases: version 1.2.x doesn't exist yet. There's only 24 hours in a day sadly :(
  • ah ok, so its pushed after the first Beta release and because in the mean time there was no Beta release users won't receive a beta.

The signup page suggested that I could expect a Beta push within a few hours.

My fault and excuses! :heart: 

Happy coding!
  • MarcoF said:
    ah ok, so its pushed after the first Beta release and because in the mean time there was no Beta release users won't receive a beta.

The signup page suggested that I could expect a Beta push within a few hours.

My fault and excuses! :heart: 

Happy coding!
    Sorry, the signup page is a default page from Google Play, which I can't customize