This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Xiaomi devices hacks

bullseye1977bullseye1977 Member
edited August 2018 in Ideas & Suggestions
Pretty new to all the homey possibilities. What i created is a cheap proof of concept zigbee wall switch.
Bought a "puls drukker" at the local Hornbach and soldered the switch to the internal contacts of the Xiaomi Aqara Smart Wireless Switch. Now i can select 4 scenes with this wall switch (on - off - dim 20% - sexy time) of my phillips Hue / Ikea lighting.
Nice thing it fits my current wall switches and i have one uniform look on the wall.

Comments

• Nice work!

Can you share the schematics how you connected the momentary switch to the Aqara wireless switch?
  • the Micro Switch inside the Aqara has four pins. i used a "multimeter" so see what contact are active when the button is pushed. solderd two wires to them and connected these two wires to the two active contacts of the "puls drukker" on the back there is a "L" and an "arrow" pointing up
  • bullseye1977bullseye1977 Member
    edited August 2018
    i will make a schematic and step by step diy this weekend if that would be use full
  • i will make a schematic and step by step diy this weekend if that would be use full
    Great! Looking forward to it.
  • gijsjegijsje Member
    edited August 2018
    i was doing something similar with a door switch from xiaomi to make into a doorbell but when i wanted to install it and control my kaku doorbells they changed the app and the doorbells are not working anymore.
    So i need to wait unitl it is fixed

Also opened they switch that you used but it was to big

• @bullseye1977 I think it would make sense to create a more generic “Xiaomi devices hacks” topic out of this one... where other ideas can be combined / shared / discussed...

that could be a nice complementary topic for the Xiaomi Zigbee app forum topic, purely focusing on the current app / new devices being supported.

You could change this topic for that purpose if you agree to it..
  • Yes i agree.. done
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited August 2018
    This looks really interesting.

Not to handy but I'm looking forward to your step by step diy tutorial.
  • Just a good reference, at this site several Xiaomi hacks are proposed and explained (in French): 
    https://faire-ca-soi-meme.fr/?s=Xiaomi

With support of @robertklep we (he) made the Zigbee sniffer from a Xiaomi door sensor... using it to sniff the communication between Xiaomi devices and their HuB..

Thinking about the original idea of @bullseye1977...with the wireless switches it should work with all variants. They all have the same contacts, but have different options.

@bullseye1977 I guess you used the Aqara wireless switch (WXKG11LM)  with 1x - 4x click options.. 

The (new) Aqara wireless switch with Gyro (WXKG12LM) might also be suitable, with the 1x-2x click and hold & release options.. to enable dim start and dim stop options.

Or the Xiaomi wireless switch (WXKG01LM) with 1x - 4x switch and hold & release options..
  • Just a good reference, at this site several Xiaomi hacks are proposed and explained (in French): 
    https://faire-ca-soi-meme.fr/?s=Xiaomi

With support of @robertklep we (he) made the Zigbee sniffer from a Xiaomi door sensor... using it to sniff the communication between Xiaomi devices and their HuB..

Thinking about the original idea of @bullseye1977...with the wireless switches it should work with all variants. They all have the same contacts, but have different options.

@bullseye1977 I guess you used the Aqara wireless switch (WXKG11LM)  with 1x - 4x click options.. 

The (new) Aqara wireless switch with Gyro (WXKG12LM) might also be suitable, with the 1x-2x click and hold & release options.. to enable dim start and dim stop options.

Or the Xiaomi wireless switch (WXKG01LM) with 1x - 4x switch and hold & release options..
    @bullseye1977 I guess you used the Aqara wireless switch (WXKG11LM)  with 1x - 4x click options.. 

yes i have both but used this 1x-4x version
  • Looking very forward to schematics and instructions. Also curious what you had to do to make it all fit in a socket hole!
  • bullseye1977bullseye1977 Member
    edited August 2018
    Sytze said:
    Looking very forward to schematics and instructions. Also curious what you had to do to make it all fit in a socket hole!
    it is in a 7cm thick "gas beton" wall and i cut some away at the back of the socket
  • Sytze said:
    Looking very forward to schematics and instructions. Also curious what you had to do to make it all fit in a socket hole!
    it is in a 7cm thick "gas beton" wall and i cut some away at the back of the socket
    The Aqara Wireless switch has a height of only 13mm... which is thinner than the Fibaro Dimmer-2 height of 20.3mm..

A typical (Busch Jaeger) momentary switch requires a depth of 25 mm.

An in-wall box of 40mm will be extremely tight (considering required cabling)...
    but an in-wall box of 50mm (used in modern houses) should be able the Aqara wireless switch installed behind a momentary switch ‘easily’ (after some fiddling with cables)...
  • My house is only 2 years old. If I've got some time this weekend, I'll try to see if I can manage to squeeze such an Aqara switch in behind a regular wall switch.

Btw, does this mean the Aqara switch get's a full 230V on it's contacts?
  • Sytze said:
    My house is only 2 years old. If I've got some time this weekend, I'll try to see if I can manage to squeeze such an Aqara switch in behind a regular wall switch.

That should fit...

No, the momentary switch is only connected to the Aqara wireless switch, to mimic the button contact.. no 230V contact..

Real hacking would be to also connect a small 230V AC to 3V DC converter to the Aqara wireless switch... ?
  • Sytze said:
    My house is only 2 years old. If I've got some time this weekend, I'll try to see if I can manage to squeeze such an Aqara switch in behind a regular wall switch.

That should fit...

No, the momentary switch is only connected to the Aqara wireless switch, to mimic the button contact.. no 230V contact..

Real hacking would be to also connect a small 230V AC to 3V DC converter to the Aqara wireless switch... ?
    battery should work for 1-2 years.. so opening and changing the battery is not a big deal at this moment. when you have more then 5 an AC/DC PSU hack would be nice 

• Great topic!
    Thanks for the inspiration and idea's!
  • Would it be somehow possible to use a Xiaomi button as receiver and toggle the momentary switch using Homey?
  • Phuturist said:
    Would it be somehow possible to use a Xiaomi button as receiver and toggle the momentary switch using Homey?
    No i dont think that is possible. The Xiaomi button is only sending out the momentary movement of the switch "pulsdrukker" so it is as like adding an extra switch parallel to the exciting switch inside the aqara unit
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited August 2018
    Great idea @bullseye1977 !
    i will test this as soon you have a tutorial for this! 

• @bullseye1977 could you please give us more detailed Infos how you connect the pulseswitch to the xiaomi switch?