This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Smartphone App (Preview)

Comments

• I haven't gone through all the posts here, but if there there was a way to implement geofencing to the App itself, that would save us an App for this purpose (ie Owntracks). Just a thought...
  • That is part of the purpose of the App. The original App has this built in, I receive notifications from the second App, too, when entering home. Unfortunately it is not reliable with my android phone. On two iPhones it seems quite stable and reliable using the 'old' App, not this preview.

It is quiet ....
  • Eternity said:
    That is part of the purpose of the App. The original App has this built in, I receive notifications from the second App, too, when entering home. Unfortunately it is not reliable with my android phone. On two iPhones it seems quite stable and reliable using the 'old' App, not this preview.

It is quiet ....

Ahh... Thanks for clearifying that. I too have an Android phone (Samsung S8) and can't seem to get this to work properly. It's a shame, because it should be one of the main components that should work - for multiple reasons.

I was just hoping that I didn't needed to install the Owntracks App on my phone (not very fond of having heaps of Apps), but seems that I need to to be able to get things to work, reliability wise.
  • BramBram Member
    The Preview app does not support geofencing yet, only the "current" app has this build in. However, the new mobile app will work a lot more stable and will resolve a lot of issues with geofencing
  • @Bram
    Yes, we were told that it will work in the future...
  • @Bram, is it possible to test a beta version of the mobile app?
    Did you read the very first post of this topic ? :)
  • k1sk1s Member
    @Bram, is it possible to test a beta version of the mobile app?
    Be fair. Sometimes you all refer to beta, other times 'preview'. It's confusing
  • Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    its both :p
    is this a joke @lubbertkramer ? i am talking about the beta version. not a version who has been updated 6 months ago. 13 december 2017 to be exactly.
  • Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    edited June 2018
    @Bram, is it possible to test a beta version of the mobile app?
    is this a joke @lubbertkramer ? i am talking about the beta version. not a version who has been updated 6 months ago. 13 december 2017 to be exactly.
    No joke, its athom style B)
    No joke indeed, lot's of promises have been made indeed for a new update with ETA's but in the latest blog they now said it's 2.0 dependent so maybe the blog of today will give more answers about when a new update is coming. For now the beta that you get from signing up from the startpost is the most recent version that is public for everyone. But for more secure information you need to contact Athom 
  • k1sk1s Member

lubbertkramer said: For now the beta that you get from signing up from the startpost is the most recent version that is public for everyone...

Wait, so there is a "beta" that is available by "signing up" (whatever that means) that is different from the "preview" that is downloadable from the Google play store?

• k1s said:

lubbertkramer said: For now the beta that you get from signing up from the startpost is the most recent version that is public for everyone...

Wait, so there is a "beta" that is available by "signing up" (whatever that means) that is different from the "preview" that is downloadable from the Google play store?

No the android beta is free.
    for iphone you need to sign up.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2018
    k1s said:

Preview is how athom called it at first, but preview/beta is the same. When you download the Android from the startpost (but indeed as mentioned above not updated for months) or signup for the iOS version (recently updated twice but not with new functions only version bumb because Apple beta works that way that after 90 days no update the app will stop working as beta) then you have indeed the latest beta that will replace the current stable Athom mobile app which also has not been updated for a year

Android play store (as you can see they call the new beta app preview)

• So still no news about the new app? A couple months ago all they had left to do was fixing a couple minor bugs right?
  • The only thing they say in the blog is to keep your head cool. This is ridicalous. Homey is gonna fail this way.
  • As stated before: plz keep this posts on topic, off topic posts will be deleted.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited June 2018
    On topic.... How long can a beta/preview exist in www land? A week? Month? 
  • Eternity said:
    On topic.... How long can a beta/preview exist in www land? A week? Month? 
    I guess just  as long as you as supplier want, 
    fe see the more than  5 years Google kept Gmail in beta
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Gmail

And their service  was quite successful...
  • Ik ben wel benieuwd hoe het ervoor staat met de nieuwe app.
    iedere laatste vrijdag van de maand zou er een blog komen toch?
    Is er een communitymanager die hier een beetje licht op kan werpen misschien?
  • Plz keep it in English!
  • k1sk1s Member
    I am curious how it is with the new app.
    every last Friday of the month there would be a blog right?
    Is there a community manager who might shed some light on this?
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited July 2018

Modbreak: Comment has been removed due to being off-topic

• BramBram Member
    edited August 2018
    @Louis28 Correct, every last friday of the month there is a blog which sheds light on the progress we made in that month. 
    We are still working hard on the new app! However, as stated in the blog we cannot give an exact date on when the new app will be released. As soon as I have more news I will share it in this discussion. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me via pm or via Slack:)

Mobreak (made by Bram): My mistake, I misinformed you guys about when the behind the magic is scheduled. It is NOT the last friday of the month, but the the first friday. Sorry for the mix-up! (Please dont shoot me..)

• ZperX said:

Modbreak: Comment has been removed due to being off-topic

??? off-topic?
  • @moderators @Bram Removing a post from a user for being off-topic while it clearly was not will only alienate more users from the community. @ZperX posted his view on the subject, may be true, maybe not, only time will tell. Removing it because you want to ignore the negative sentiment that is developing is pure censorship!

This is really going in the wrong direction!
  • Well said @DaneeDeKruyff !

<Sarcasm_mode>
    I am working hard on a similar post. Can't give an ETA, you can expect it soon and will see it when it's available. 
    </Sarcasm_mode>

Looking forward to the v2 Homey Smartphone App (Preview)....making this post is on topic ;-)
  • BramBram Member
    @DaneeDeKruyff the post was off-topic and did not answer the question asked by @Louis28. Thats why I removed it and answered it myself. It was not my intention to upset people by removing this post, but I just wanted to keep the post on topic. I do truly understand that people are waiting for a really long time for an update on the preview app, and the team is also aware of this. We are working really really hard on updating the app asap, but as mentioned in a previous blogpost it is all taking a bit longer then we anticipated. Nonetheless I think you all are really going to love the new app. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions:)