This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Bathroom fan off based on occupancy and humidity

k1sk1s Member
edited June 2018 in Apps
I have a wall switch (outside the bathroom) to send turn on the fan, connected to a Fibaro double-switch 2 relay.  My kids leave it running all the time long after they finished having a shower, and I'd like to tun it off after they left - if the humidity (from the Aeotec multi-sensor) is below 60%.

EDIT:

I can't see a way in normal flows to have 2 triggers (movement alarm off + humidity low), so wondered if the State Control App could be used but I didn't properly understand the the concepts and steps.

JPe and @cbh I'm trying this:

...which I think will turn off the fan 5 minutes after the PIR detects no further movement if the humidity is less than 60% and the fan is turned on, triggered by a change in humidity.  @cbh pointed out that any change in humidity is will trigger the flow regardless of direction of change or magnitude. 

Looking that the sensor settings:

...it seems we can set the threshold for the change in humidity that causes the sensor to report back to homey.  I don't know if this is the relative humidity measured value or the percentage change in the measured value so I'll try to run some tests.

In the meantime, I still wonder whether using the SergeR 's State Control app might be more efficient, since if I understand correctly, the above flow will be triggered/run very often irrespective of occupancy whereas by setting a States appropriately, flows could be designed that only run when the fan has been switched on and left on after somebody exited the room.

Comments

• JPeJPe Member
    @k1s ; maybe this is a solution?

Translation:  Moisture is changed                       smaller than and no-movement        then turn off
  • k1sk1s Member
    JPe said:
    @k1s ; maybe this is a solution?
    Translation:  Moisture is changed                       smaller than and no-movement        then turn off
    Thanks - that's what I tried, but it turns out that it tries to turn off the fan even after it's off - i.e. every time the humidity changes below the threshold.  It seems inefficient to keep running the flow over and over each time the humidity changes.  Ideally it would be the other way round, so that the trigger is the motion alarm off, but that point you can't say AND if the humidity is less than x.  That's why I thought State Control might be of use, e.g. so a State can be set that the fan is on, and another state that the humidity is above/below a threshold, but I can't really get my head round how it works. 

I saw an alternative here that is using a variable, but I don't understand how/why, or whether it has the same problem (keeps running the flow even after the fan is off)
  • JPeJPe Member
    You could add an extra "If ON" card, so it only is switched OFF when it is ON

• k1sk1s Member
    edited June 2018
    @JPe - Thanks. I think that's the solution I'll go with for now although it still leaves the question of efficiency (see edited first post)
  • You can also disable the flow (flow card in then column). Enable flow again using another trigger. 
  • k1sk1s Member
    JPe said:
    You could add an extra "If ON" card, so it only is switched OFF when it is ON
    Out of curiosity: In your Dutch version your card seems to translate to 'Is on' which implies a state, whereas in English it says 'Is turned on' which is an event (not a state).  Do you know if the card means 'Is on' or 'is turned on'?
  • My guess is it’s the same.
  • JPeJPe Member
    @k1s ;   My card has only 1 side when used in the "AND" column, and there, as far as I know, it can only be a State, Events can be used to Trigger a flow in the "IF" column.
  • My dimmer2 says "Is aan"  in Chrome, "Is turned on" in mobile app. So same card, different translations.
  • k1sk1s Member
    edited June 2018
    My guess is it’s the same.
    My dimmer2 says "Is aan"  in Chrome, "Is turned on" in mobile app. So same card, different translations. 

Yes, semantics, I know but "...is turned on" and "...is on..." are not the same in English.  I English "...is turned on" can mean 'is [currently being] turned on [at this moment]'.

JPe said:
    @k1s ;   My card has only 1 side when used in the "AND" column, and there, as far as I know, it can only be a State, Events can be used to Trigger a flow in the "IF" column.
    Thanks.  I wasn't aware the AND column was for states only (it's not entirely clear in the user guide "the 'and' column can contain multiple cards that must be true , before the flow continues'). 
  • Hi i made it like this, its only based on humidity , because thats the main reason the ventilation is running, to high is to high when there is someone or not:
    I build in a timer for when the set low humidity cannot be reached.
    I have a extra flow to stop the ventilation when im taking a bath, thats why the "ventilatie is aan" is there.
    To start the ventilation:

To Stop ventilation:

I dont know if this is of any help?

Kind regards
  • k1sk1s Member
    Herman2604 said: ...its only based on humidity , because thats the main reason the ventilation is running, 

I dont know if this is of any help?

Kind regards
    Thanks but not really - I'm trying to base it upon both occupancy and humidity because in my case ventilation is needed for getting rid of steam and odours(!)