This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Smartphone App (Preview)

Comments

• mbnn said:
    The current iphone app says it will expire in 2 days (beta), any idea what after that? :)
    Will get a version bumb 
  • stil 3 hour and counting  :(
  • A new version has been released, just an extension of the time... 
  • A new version has been released, just an extension of the time... 
    In the latest blog it was announced that the new updated app would be released together with Homey v2 due to dependencies..
  • So the new app won’t be available during some kind of beta period? We will have to use the current app untill 2.0 is released?
  • k1sk1s Member
    edited June 2018
    A new version has been released, just an extension of the time... 
    Is that for iPhone only? Google play store is showing me just 0.8.5 from Dec for Android
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    A new version has been released, just an extension of the time... 
    it's not a new version, its just a extension of the trail period, apple only gives 90 days. So no new functions, just be patient. 
  • Herman2604Herman2604 Member
    edited June 2018
    I was not sure where to post this but I saw a minor fault in the preview app, in have a - 35%  relative brightness setting in a flow. In the new app it says :set relative brightness - 0,35, this should be - 35%,-0,35 is dimlvl, it's just a text error but still..

• I was not sure where to post this but I saw a minor fault in the preview app, in have a - 35%  relative brightness setting in a flow. In the new app it says :set relative brightness - 0,35, this should be - 35%,-0,35 is dimlvl, it's just a text error but still..

Posting feedback on this forum or any channel of Homey won't bring you something. It looks like the crew abandoned the customers. 
  • I was not sure where to post this but I saw a minor fault in the preview app, in have a - 35%  relative brightness setting in a flow. In the new app it says :set relative brightness - 0,35, this should be - 35%,-0,35 is dimlvl, it's just a text error but still..

Posting feedback on this forum or any channel of Homey won't bring you something. It looks like the crew abandoned the customers. 
    Nice Martijn! Instead of tagging @Bram ur making Herman not posting positive feedback ever again. Now why would u do that?
  • martijn1980martijn1980 Member
    edited June 2018
    I was not sure where to post this but I saw a minor fault in the preview app, in have a - 35%  relative brightness setting in a flow. In the new app it says :set relative brightness - 0,35, this should be - 35%,-0,35 is dimlvl, it's just a text error but still..

Nice Martijn! Instead of tagging @Bram ur making Herman not posting positive feedback ever again. Now why would u do that?
    Bram his latest forum post was in March 2018. That doesn't make me feel he is very concerned about his customers, do you?
  • @Bram

Feel free to moderate
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2018
    Post has been removed for being irrelevant to this discussion
    Feel free to contact a moderator if you disagree

No worries i wont run away, im a new owner obviously, but sofar im happy, i have my complaints and i do see that things arent as they supposed to be , , faulty advertising with promises that are already broken (speach for example).
    But i put it in the mail to support and got my feedback about it, so thats a good thing,  i tried Domoticz on a raspberry Pi, Homeseer and now a Homey. Where homey for me comes out as a winner.
    I do understand the feelings of some of the backers, but thats up the the Homey founders to fix that.
    I really hope Homey will make it , and there is no reason why not, (well there are) but they can be fixed. 
    So ill be sticking around :-)

Kind regards, Herman
  • BramBram Member
    edited June 2018
    @martijn1980 I'm still here:) However, this is a community forum, so if you want to get direct help, the best thing is to contact us via support@athom.com As @Rocodamelshe stated you can always tag me in a message and I will do my best to respond asap. @Herman2604 Thanks for the feedback! I will notify the developers about this issue. Issues with the beta version of the mobile app can also be reported via support@athom.com
  • Still waiting for a new update, any news because the latest promise was not reached and at this moment there is more then 6 months delay for only implementing the new design? No ETA's according the latest blog but how can that be an answer after all the promises? 

How can it be that only a design update has impediments on new features? While developing all features need to have the ability to be hold or released and to be not acting as a blocker for the rest of the release. The new design update can work without new features because at this moment the beta app doesn't support insights for example which can be hold back until a stable release while only the design is released. At this moment there has been no progress since the promise this should be released jan 2018..... any more information available at this stage because the current beta is only getting version bumbs the latest updates and dec 2017 it was already looking gorgeous so what is happening at Athom HQ?

Source: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/64825/#Comment_64825

Summary Week 50 & 51 (December 11 - December 22) 

With the holidays around the corner and it freezing outside, our feature freeze is slowly coming to an end. The last two weeks have been full with stability work on Homey v1.5.6, many of our Homey Apps and the new Homey Smartphone App.

Homey v1.5.6 will be published to all Homeys in the stable channel in the new year, because with the holidays now we cannot monitor if everything goes right. And we wouldn't want to risk a Christmas tree not turning on due to a new bug, or Homey not saying 'Happy New Year' at 00:00 January 1st.

We've started work on implementing the design in the Homey Smartphone App as well, and it's starting to look good. Our goal is to have a first release with the new design in the 2nd week of January. Stay tuned!

Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy your holidays!

Summary Week 52 & 1 (December 25 - January 5) 

Happy New Year! On behalf of Athom I hope you all have a wonderful 2018!

As for us, we had a holiday as well, so there weren't exactly many exciting things happening. Nevertheless, we have some news to announce!

The Alexa Smart Home Skill is currently under testing and certification by Amazon and will be released hopefully next week. This will allow you to address your devices through Homey by simply stating 'Alexa, turn on all lights'. Best of both world, we'd say.

The new Homey Smartphone App is looking gorgeous already, and development is going steady. 

We have a lot of fixes ready for Homey v1.5.6, while in the meantime we work hard to make it ready for the stable channel. The update has eventually became a lot larger than we anticipated, so it took somewhat longer to get ready.

We've also released Homeyduino, a library and Homey App to connect your DIY Arduino projects. Read the blog for more information.

And for anyone visiting CES in Las Vegas this year, come visit us! We have a booth to showcase Homey to the world.

And last but not least, this is what the Homey Smartphone App is going to look like, for now.

• Still waiting for a new update, any news because the latest promise was not reached and at this moment there is more then 6 months delay for only implementing the new design? No ETA's according the latest blog but how can that be an answer after all the promises? 

How can it be that only a design update has impediments on new features? While developing all features need to have the ability to be hold or released and to be not acting as a blocker for the rest of the release. The new design update can work without new features because at this moment the beta app doesn't support insights for example which can be hold back until a stable release while only the design is released. At this moment there has been no progress since the promise this should be released jan 2018..... any more information available at this stage because the current beta is only getting version bumbs the latest updates and dec 2017 it was already looking gorgeous so what is happening at Athom HQ?

Source: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/64825/#Comment_64825

Summary Week 50 & 51 (December 11 - December 22) 

With the holidays around the corner and it freezing outside, our feature freeze is slowly coming to an end. The last two weeks have been full with stability work on Homey v1.5.6, many of our Homey Apps and the new Homey Smartphone App.

Homey v1.5.6 will be published to all Homeys in the stable channel in the new year, because with the holidays now we cannot monitor if everything goes right. And we wouldn't want to risk a Christmas tree not turning on due to a new bug, or Homey not saying 'Happy New Year' at 00:00 January 1st.

We've started work on implementing the design in the Homey Smartphone App as well, and it's starting to look good. Our goal is to have a first release with the new design in the 2nd week of January. Stay tuned!

Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy your holidays!

Summary Week 52 & 1 (December 25 - January 5) 

Happy New Year! On behalf of Athom I hope you all have a wonderful 2018!

As for us, we had a holiday as well, so there weren't exactly many exciting things happening. Nevertheless, we have some news to announce!

The Alexa Smart Home Skill is currently under testing and certification by Amazon and will be released hopefully next week. This will allow you to address your devices through Homey by simply stating 'Alexa, turn on all lights'. Best of both world, we'd say.

The new Homey Smartphone App is looking gorgeous already, and development is going steady. 

We have a lot of fixes ready for Homey v1.5.6, while in the meantime we work hard to make it ready for the stable channel. The update has eventually became a lot larger than we anticipated, so it took somewhat longer to get ready.

We've also released Homeyduino, a library and Homey App to connect your DIY Arduino projects. Read the blog for more information.

And for anyone visiting CES in Las Vegas this year, come visit us! We have a booth to showcase Homey to the world.

And last but not least, this is what the Homey Smartphone App is going to look like, for now.

@Bram are you able to respond to this? Thanks 
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    yes , i am very patient but now i would also really know when the so long promised app hit the ground. spome delays are really normal but this is getting frustrating. 

• BramBram Member
    @martijn1980 Of course!

It's true that we aimed to release a new version of the beta app in the beginning of January. However, we misjudged this deadline and the work that needed to be done to implement the new design. So we decided to change our tactics a bit.

Instead of releasing a half finished version of the beta app (only implementing the new design) we are aiming on release a version that is almost completed, so everybody can enjoy this update without running into functions that don't work. This is of course taking a lot of time, implementing the new design + all the functions that are currently available in the stable version of the app (and more). 

We do bump the current version number so that everybody can keep using the current beta app (this has to do with the policy that Apple is upholds).

It is of course not mandatory to use the beta version of the app, you can still use the current stable version.

We do understand that everybody wants to get their hands on the new app and we are working very hard to deliver this to all of you asap. We really want to show all of you our hard work, but we first want to make sure that everything is working as intended, so bear with us:)

More info about our view on deadlines can be found here: https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-may-2018/

edited June 2018
    Bram said:
    @martijn1980 Of course!

It's true that we aimed to release a new version of the beta app in the beginning of January. However, we misjudged this deadline and the work that needed to be done to implement the new design. So we decided to change our tactics a bit.

Instead of releasing a half finished version of the beta app (only implementing the new design) we are aiming on release a version that is almost completed, so everybody can enjoy this update without running into functions that don't work. This is of course taking a lot of time, implementing the new design + all the functions that are currently available in the stable version of the app (and more). 

We do bump the current version number so that everybody can keep using the current beta app (this has to do with the policy that Apple is upholds).

It is of course not mandatory to use the beta version of the app, you can still use the current stable version.

We do understand that everybody wants to get their hands on the new app and we are working very hard to deliver this to all of you asap. We really want to show all of you our hard work, but we first want to make sure that everything is working as intended, so bear with us:)

More info about our view on deadlines can be found here: https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-may-2018/

But releasing all-in-one is always a problem, we all saw that on the 1.5.6/1.5.9 story...(also there a lot of delays and promises, same story over again now with the mobile release).  Didn't Athom break up development in pieces? The current beta is working with the functions released so why not only release it with the new design or 1 new feature instead of everything at once because it will never be bug free and it's beta for a reason so everybody knows it will have bugs. One big release makes it harder + is giving more and more delays because of last minute bugs that will be found just like the last time with the new promise as release in may that on 31-5 the release is again postponed until :soon: without any eta
  • @lubbertkramer ; @bram I would expect that the design and underlying functionality are intertwined. Als from what I hear the new mobile app is being developed to integrate with Homey V2. Why put valuable resources into a cosmetic makeover of something that will become obsolete anyway. An early beta of V2, along with the new app (something akin to Windows Insider) would be a possible way to go. Although I doubt that there are many users with a spare Homey for testing purposes. If the latter is the case, then patience is the only way forward.
  • @lubbertkramer ; @bram I would expect that the design and underlying functionality are intertwined. Als from what I hear the new mobile app is being developed to integrate with Homey V2. Why put valuable resources into a cosmetic makeover of something that will become obsolete anyway. An early beta of V2, along with the new app (something akin to Windows Insider) would be a possible way to go. Although I doubt that there are many users with a spare Homey for testing purposes. If the latter is the case, then patience is the only way forward.
    Enough users with multiple Homey's or users who want to use their core Homey to test but 2.0 is a long way from being ready to be tested by the selected NDA group, this could be read in the latest blog where no ETA can be given (even no Q3/Q4 or 2018/2019 ETA)
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    @lubbertkramer ; @bram I would expect that the design and underlying functionality are intertwined. Als from what I hear the new mobile app is being developed to integrate with Homey V2. Why put valuable resources into a cosmetic makeover of something that will become obsolete anyway. An early beta of V2, along with the new app (something akin to Windows Insider) would be a possible way to go. Although I doubt that there are many users with a spare Homey for testing purposes. If the latter is the case, then patience is the only way forward.
    Enough users with multiple Homey's or users who want to use their core Homey to test but 2.0 is a long way from being ready to be tested by the selected NDA group, this could be read in the latest blog where no ETA can be given (even no Q3/Q4 or 2018/2019 ETA)
    @lubbertkramer , instead of only being negative about athom's new way of communication, that clearly does not suit you. Can you please also give me the numbers about all Homey users that are working with it without any problems??

Because you make it look like that Homey is only troubles!!! Why this crusade against Athom? Because you're not getting you're way?? I think with the resent blog and slack update's they have clearly stated how they are going to work, and instead of releasing half work, they want to make sure to release only when they are sure the user experience is fully functional. And they appologied for the inconvenience for this, so what else do you want?? Maybe you should sell you're homey ;) 
    edited June 2018
    @lubbertkramer ; @bram I would expect that the design and underlying functionality are intertwined. Als from what I hear the new mobile app is being developed to integrate with Homey V2. Why put valuable resources into a cosmetic makeover of something that will become obsolete anyway. An early beta of V2, along with the new app (something akin to Windows Insider) would be a possible way to go. Although I doubt that there are many users with a spare Homey for testing purposes. If the latter is the case, then patience is the only way forward.
    @lubbertkramer , instead of only being negative about athom's new way of communication, that clearly does not suit you. Can you please also give me the numbers about all Homey users that are working with it without any problems??

Because you make it look like that Homey is only troubles!!! Why this crusade against Athom? Because you're not getting you're way?? I think with the resent blog and slack update's they have clearly stated how they are going to work, and instead of releasing half work, they want to make sure to release only when they are sure the user experience is fully functional. And they appologied for the inconvenience for this, so what else do you want?? Maybe you should sell you're homey ;) 
    Or read better before reacting offtopic because I questioned the delay of 6 months for only a design update which has nothing to do with homey itself or anything else afaik so not really reading where you are reacting on what I wrote up here? Can you clarify because I don't read anything I wrote you're talking about because i thought this topic was about the new/beta smartphone app?

The blog doesn't answer it why athom is doing again a full release instead of little pieces... we all saw what happened with a big release like 1.5.6/1.5.8 so maybe you don't need to make it s crusade on a person and let Athom really answer. If you read the forum I'm not the only one with this question  

Edit:
    Ask any other development team and even when Athom is small it's no excuse, you would expect them to make smaller pieces instead of big updates which they can't deliver and as for the new smartphone app already has a more then 6 months delay because of that choice, also i'm already running the update with the new design so why not release it to all, working the same like the beta the rest is running only then with colors so no blocking 2.0 there what they said in the blog? 

It's better to deliver lots of bugfixes/features in a small amount of time instead of new features blocking your release like happened with 1.5.6/1.5.8 story where the security  Fix CVE-2017-5715 was delayed to everyone because they didn't got 1.5.6/1.5.8 working with blockers, in that case you can only release a hotfix just like with the mobile app
  • lubbertkramer said:
    i'm already running the update with the new design so why not release it to all, working the same like the beta the rest is running only then with colors so no blocking 2.0 there what they said in the blog
    Can you tell if it’s worth waiting for?
    Speaking for myself... After al these months of waiting I have some big expectations.
  • Louis28 said:
    lubbertkramer said:
    i'm already running the update with the new design so why not release it to all, working the same like the beta the rest is running only then with colors so no blocking 2.0 there what they said in the blog
    Can you tell if it’s worth waiting for?
    Speaking for myself... After al these months of waiting I have some big expectations.
    It's just colored like in the example above, and you like it or you don't like it, Athom removed my previous post with screenshots when they by accident released it. For now it's just like the beta everyone is running with the design (no new features added) so that's why i don't understand no new update is coming for me and everyone else and i can see what has changed in all the 6 months no new update came out
  • JonJon Member
    Two bugs/issues that I am finding in the (new) mobile app:
    - when changing a flow: deleting a AND trigger, all other AND triggers disappear too. Really frustrating.
    - Sun Events: when entering an offset of > -90 minutes, it can be done (and saved) in the mobile app, but then when loading the same flow in the desktop app, it gives an error because you can (apparently) only enter values up to -60 minutes. (Perhaps @MarcelTimmermans should be aware about this, since he's the creator? Did you know Marcel?)

• AngelinajuliAngelinajuli Member
    edited June 2018
    Hello, I do believe your web site could possibly be having browser compatibility issues. Whenever I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic site! 

<<Modbreak>> Link deleted.

• @Angelinajuli with the Introduction of Microsoft Edge in W10, IE is deprecated with no security or functionality updates for the past wo years. You really should not use IE anymore. It's not secure and not up tto date on web standards.

• @Angelinajuli with the Introduction of Microsoft Edge in W10, IE is deprecated with no security or functionality updates for the past wo years. You really should not use IE anymore. It's not secure and not up tto date on web standards.

That's not true.
    Latest versions of Internet Explorer on a supported operating system are still supported.
    See here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-ie-support