This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Athom is going to kill off the desktop app?!

2»

Comments

• Please keep the web version at least 
  • j0h2nj0h2n Member
    Yes, please...

Most if not all of my devices today are Z-Wave and I use a PC if at home, for most stuff. I do my work at the computer, I manage my file servers from one, and I have a few in my secluded home office. With 3 or so PC's at an arms length I would feel pretty stupid configuring stuff from a cell phone. It will be very hard to convince myself not to switch to Domoticz or something else, running fine with a Z-Wave stick on Linux. 

What is the motivation behind this move? I have friends that configure everything using their phone, and would be fine controlling their smart home from one. Homey is not an alternative for them. It is barely an alternative for me, and I don't mind reading forum post after forum post to get something to work and then have it break on me later. 

But then again, maybe the next app version will be crazy developed and I will be fine using a Android emulator. I sure am looking forward to it, because that app would have to be great. 
  • RexRex Member
    canedje said:
    PetervdK said:
    rickp said:
    I think everyone feels the pc/browser option should at least stay 
    +1
    Eternity said:
    Hey @lubbertkramer

You work your butt off, as a moderator...and that's highly appreciated!

Just saying 

+1
    +1
  • RexRex Member
    Athome please don't kill the desktop app otherwise I will lok for another system. Before my Homey I was using KAKU. One of the reasons i have choose for Homey is the Desktop App...
  • Rex said:
    Athome please don't kill the desktop app otherwise I will lok for another system. Before my Homey I was using KAKU. One of the reasons i have choose for Homey is the Desktop App...
    Agreed. Same. If the desktop apps go's, so will i.
  • i'm gonna miss browser support  :/ most (advanced) flows i make behind my desk @work. I'm not gonna do that with a phone or tablet at work.. so this sucks bigtime!  :|
  • This is so BAD, removing the desktop  >:) :(
  • wow im so done with homey
    the same bugs that are in homey the day i bought it (a year ago) are still in it today. and instead of fixing it they cripple us even more be removing features. how stupid do you have to be to think this is a good idea. removing it does not have any benefit. not removing it does not have any negative effects, so why would they remove it? their app is terrible and their new app that i have tested for 2 months is filled with "game breaking" bugs that make it pretty much unusable. i have pretty much stopped using homey already because most of the smart devices got even smarter then homey in the mean time while homey has been kicking itself in the nuts and actually going backwards instead of improving. i was already thinking about getting a different smart device but this settles it. goodbye homey

• what are you going to get?  Interested as I am thinking about ditching homey too.
  • i am also looking around. I think it depends on how many stuff you have. I'm a big user with domotica stuff, so i'm thinking to get Homeseer back.
  • daesland said:
    what are you going to get?  Interested as I am thinking about ditching homey too.
    probably an amazon echo spot
    in the netherlands the google home will be released "later this year" but that could still take 6 more months so i think i will just go for alexa. i care more about voice command support then domotica support but if you have a lot of domotica idk how well alexa works with that
  • OctoOcto Member
    Perhaps is Homey wiht a smartphone app an idea  :)
  • Looks like, to me, Athom are going to abandon the users that have got them here. The DIYers, the builders. By going app only they do two things:

1/ limit the scope of the tool. Simpler features, focus on quality over quantity for a broader market.
    2/ move to a more gated and proprietary device support.

They are trying to become apple homekit. A limited hardware offering from third parties that play nice with a simple interface. But without machine learning it will be simple for simples sake and not mastering complexity.

IMO
  • Love this thread  B)