This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved WiFi

Homey & Ubiquiti issues

rkokkrkokk Member
edited May 2018 in Questions & Help
Dear Homey users,

In the past month I have some serious issues with my Homey connecting to my WiFi and I cannot get it to work and request some help with it. Somehow Homey is able to connect to my WiFi when I reconfigure it, e.g. change broadcasting from Yes to No, however in the middle of the night it looses connection and is not able to reconnect.

I'm using the Ubiquiti AP for my WiFi and there have indeed been issues with some of its software. However, these issues have been fixed in recent versions and so far only Homey is experiencing issues with reconnecting to WiFi. I'm using a wide range of devices on my WiFi (computers, mobile phones, IoT) and only Homey is currently having issues with it.

I've changed settings on my WiFi, I have reconfigured the WiFi on Homey, using the recovery-mode, but so far nothing works. I've contacted support with this issue more then a month ago but so far no reply. Currently I cannot use part of my IoT devices because Homey does not have WiFi connection and it is really annoying.

So any help in the matter is highly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited May 2018
    rkokk said:
    Dear Homey users,

In the past month I have some serious issues with my Homey connecting to my WiFi and I cannot get it to work and request some help with it. Somehow Homey is able to connect to my WiFi when I reconfigure it, e.g. change broadcasting from Yes to No, however in the middle of the night it looses connection and is not able to reconnect.

I'm using the Ubiquiti AP for my WiFi and there have indeed been issues with some of its software. However, these issues have been fixed in recent versions and so far only Homey is experiencing issues with reconnecting to WiFi. I'm using a wide range of devices on my WiFi (computers, mobile phones, IoT) and only Homey is currently having issues with it.

I've changed settings on my WiFi, I have reconfigured the WiFi on Homey, using the recovery-mode, but so far nothing works. I've contacted support with this issue more then a month ago but so far no reply. Currently I cannot use part of my IoT devices because Homey does not have WiFi connection and it is really annoying.

So any help in the matter is highly appreciated.

Here also only ubiquiti (security gateway as core router with several AP's and a unify controller) in use but no problems here with Homey (have had several Homey's and no problems afaik) so i guess the best way is indeed with Athom support to find out what is going wrong with the logs / information you can provide. because you already tested some options as  you describe above
  • rkokkrkokk Member
    Thanks for the info. I'm using a similar setup security gateway with single AP with multiple VLAN's etc, and it worked perfectly until a month ago. And are you also using the latest Unifi software versions on your devices and using a hidden WiFi network? There were some issues with Homey and connecting to hidden WiFi networks a couple of versions ago. Just trying to pin point the exact problem.
  • rkokk said:
    Thanks for the info. I'm using a similar setup security gateway with single AP with multiple VLAN's etc, and it worked perfectly until a month ago. And are you also using the latest Unifi software versions on your devices and using a hidden WiFi network? There were some issues with Homey and connecting to hidden WiFi networks a couple of versions ago. Just trying to pin point the exact problem.
    I have multiple VLAN's (split my TV/Internet in the security gateway) but no hidden networks here 
  • SpikeySpikey Member
    Hi @rkokk,

I'm having the same (or similar issues). I currently haven't "lost" Homey that often. In my cases it was always a direct consequence of changing wifi configuration (e.g. transmittion power or channels ect.). However the only way to get it reconnected was by doing the Homey "setup" procedure.
    The most interesting thing I noticed was, that when I reboot all AP's at once, Homey is able to reconnect afterwards for about 5 minutes and then it is gone again.

I've just added a similar post in the Q&A, but from this post I don't expect it will give much results. I'll also send an email to support.
  • SpikeySpikey Member
    Hi,

Downgrading the AP's firmware to version 3.9.21.8191 has some promising results for me. It looks like that solved allot of the issues. Now hoping that Uquibity is going to fix this soon in any of it's upcoming updates.

See also the thread I'd created:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/5147/homey-wont-reconnect-to-wifi-on-small-wifi-changes-of-unifi-uquibity-aps
  • rkokkrkokk Member
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try downgrading immediately and will get back to you! Still it is very strange that this type of bugs happen and that the upgrades are not as 'stable' as expected.
  • rkokkrkokk Member
    Unfortunately, after downgrading to 3.9.21.8191 it worked even worse. In version 3.9.27.*, once I made a configuration change Homey reconnected to the WiFi until it lost connection during the night. In 3.9.21.* Homey did not reconnect once I made small configuration changes to the WiFi-network.

I've also tried re-configuring Homey to the WiFi-network using the recovery modus but still the issues persists. The strange this was, however, that Homey still listed the old WiFi-network in the list of visible 'WiFi'-networks even though that WiFi network is not broadcasting its SSID.

So anyone else some advice to get it to work.
  • rkokkrkokk Member
    After reevaluating the configuration of Ubiquiti AP, I found out that one of the WiFi-networks still had the 'fast roaming' option enabled. Although this WiFi-network was not used by Homey, it still influenced it and caused the issues.

By disabling the 'fast roaming' option for all WiFi-networks on the Ubiquiti AP the WiFi reconnecting issues were solved.