This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Very high Homey data usage

Hi guys, just checked my access point and noticed Homey is using A LOT of data. This is slightly concerning, what on earth is it uploading to use nearly 20 gig? Immediately wondered if it has been compromised?

Comments

• jjtbsomhorstjjtbsomhorst Member
    edited April 2018
     It is in a timespan of 2 ~ 3 months.  Which apps do you have? Are there apps that are reading web services a lot ( like de feedreader app or something similar?). Do you use the voice recognition a lot? That could potentially use lots of data (raw sound)
  • henrymcleanhenrymclean Member
    edited April 2018

Very few apps, see image. However I do keep having odd issues with Homey talking, raised here, so it must be listening and uploading as it trys to understnad. I have not disabled the microphone yet but will now. Could that be it?
  • Well Nest, Hue, Ring are for sure apps that use an internet API , so your temp gets updated every x time for example over the internet. Little packages but combined with speech, don't know i guess 2 gb is not that much
  • I didn't do any research on this but my guess is that sending sound from / to your homey could potentially use lots of data. Also Ring uses an api to get status of various devices. But I can't imagine that this could cause such amount of usage. 
  • Well Nest, Hue, Ring are for sure apps that use an internet API , so your temp gets updated every x time for example over the internet. Little packages but combined with speech, don't know i guess 2 gb is not that much

Thanks for replying!

Yep understand they usa an API but 2 gig is A LOT of data when connecting to an API. 

Is there anyway to see on Homey what is using the data?

Going back to my original idea, could the device be compromised? As using Homey as a bot could easily use this data as often used for DDOS. 

• Why do you think that your homey is compromised? Without further analasys of what data is send / received we can't possible know if this would be the case. Also as you can see in your screenshot the up / download is almost in sync. If it would be used for ddossing my guess would be that this shouldn't and part of that Homey should be unresponsive.. I think. 
  • henrymcleanhenrymclean Member
    edited April 2018
    the only reason I have is because I own and run alot of smart home tech, most uses sub 100 a month so to see this and the large spikes is the reason for concern. 

is there a way to see what is using data or best to raise a support ticket?
  • I don't thing it is logged within homey. Best would be to have an external tool monitor it. There is a 'details' tab on your screenshot. What does this show?
  • rickprickp Member
    edited April 2018
    Just pulled my homey data, 789 mb over 31 days. Seems in line with yours.

Specified: