This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Fibaro RGBW dimming 2 White Only LED strips with 2 Momentary switches

k1sk1s Member
Hello,

I have a Fibaro RGBW Z-Wave modules are wired to 2 gang momentary switches.  Each switch dims a separate LED strip like this:
Single press: turn on. 
Push and hold: increase brightness
Push and hold again: decrease brightness
Push when on: turn off
Double click: max brightness

In my old Fibaro Controller, the module is recognised as a 'Master' with 6 'Slaves' allowing me to have controls for each switch/LED strip independently.  When I removed it and added it to Homey, I only see one device,

Can somebody tell me how to get Homey to recognise and control each strip independently. 

Thanks

Comments

• k1sk1s Member
    Hi,  

@RalfVanDooren @caseda @TedTolboom and @Priknr1

do you have any ideas or knowledge about this?
  • cjvscjvs Member
    Not sure how your wiring is setup... However, have you tried to set to set parameter 14 to 4369? More info in the fibaro manual https://manuals.fibaro.com/rgbw/#post-1062

Seems like you want to use "NORMAL MODE" and control one output with one switch. The led strip would then have to be connected to the Neutral and the RGB & W to one of the channels corresponding with the channel you have the switch hooked up to.
  • k1s said:
    Hi,  

@RalfVanDooren @caseda @TedTolboom and @Priknr1

do you have any ideas or knowledge about this?
    I don't know/have this module.
    But I figure you want to have a few seperate buttons/sliders instead of the 1 color circle in the card where you control the module.

This is not how the device is built in homey, so I figure the only way you can achieve this, is to take the fibaro app sourcecode, and change the card of this device yourself.

Which also means, that everythime the fibaro app gets updated, you might need to take the newest code, and past your card in it again, and sideload your version each time.

• I am looking for this solution as well. In Fibaro system if you set parameter 14 to "Output/input" then you get 1 master device and 4 dimmers for each output. I would need to do this too.
  • k1sk1s Member
    edited April 2018
    cjvs said:
    Not sure how your wiring is setup... However, have you tried to set to set parameter 14 to 4369? More info in the fibaro manual https://manuals.fibaro.com/rgbw/#post-1062.
    Thanks for the link.  According the drop-downs in the page, setting the 4 switches  "Out, Momentary, Normal", means the value for parameter 14 should be 39321 (not 4369)?  I'm not sure how to set that in Homey, under 'Raw Configuration Parameters'.  What does 'Length' mean?  I tried 14,1,39321, but it Homey said 'value out of bounds'.  I don;t know which value it's talking about.

Priknr1 said:

...I figure you want to have a few seperate buttons/sliders instead of the 1 color circle in the card where you control the module.

This is not how the device is built in homey, so I figure the only way you can achieve this, is to take the fibaro app sourcecode, and change the card of this device yourself.
    Wouldn't an alternative be if it displayed as separate devices?

Priknr1 said:
    ... I figure the only way you can achieve this, is to take the fibaro app sourcecode, and change the card of this device yourself....
    As a user, not programmer, I'm not capable of this.  I just want to be able to make my purchased modules work with Homey as they have been installed and work with Fibaro HC2, so that I can be confident to use Homey and ditch the HC2.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2018
    Just for added information about the rgbw controller. 

You can adjust the outputs separately with the flow card.
    No matter in what mode it is in.

They do not show up in the mobile card because this is just not user friendly possible in the current GUI of homey (this might be possible with the new mobile app).
    Imagine having 5 dim sliders in the current GUI card... And don't forget the hue/saturation/temperature circle

There are no 6 endpoints, only 4, so not sure how they did that(?) or you give the color and global brightness sliders as separate instances.

Each endpoint(output) does not have its own device to keep it more user friendly for the people that only use it for rgb(w) control itself, which is most of the people.
    Homey is pretty limited GUI wise, especially dynamically, you can not add to or change the device(s) based on the settings.
    Everything needs to be done during pairing, which is also limited (for zwave devices) in homey.

Current implementation is just a middle ground for the 100's of possibilities the rgbw controller has, but still offer all options there are now,and still keep it user friendly in a way.

If you want to have them as separate devices, you can always create a virtual device for it, and couple that in flows to the corresponding output.
  • k1sk1s Member
    caseda said:

You can adjust the outputs separately with the flow card.
    No matter in what mode it is in.
    Thanks for your input.  It seems in the 'then' column, we can set the specific brightness of a channel/output, but in the 'When..' column we can only refer to a specific voltage.  Would that mean to create some dimming control we would have to have a separate flow for each specific voltage value?

caseda said:
    ...They do not show up in the mobile card because this is just not user friendly...Imagine having 5 dim sliders in the current GUI card...

I can't imagine anyone using cards to dim even one device anyway because the UI is so non-user friendly/requires too many clicks.  Maybe one day when there is a proper dashboard.

caseda said:
    If you want to have them as separate devices, you can always create a virtual device for it, and couple that in flows to the corresponding output.
    I'm not sure what you mean. How would that work?
    (I just want one dimmer per light - just like the switches on the wall)

• cjvscjvs Member
    k1s said:

What does 'Length' mean?  I tried 14,1,39321, but it Homey said 'value out of bounds'.  I don;t know which value it's talking about.

Length is the parameter size, which is 2 for parameter 14. --> 14,2,39321

• k1sk1s Member
    cjvs said:
    Length is the parameter size, which is 2 for parameter 14. --> 
    Thanks for clarifying.  Here's what I get with those values:

I think value must be correct because the linked manual shows this:

So I guess it must be a problem with the driver/app?

• casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2018
    Expert parameter is outside the control of the app, and is zwave core based.

Bytes is the amount of bytes of hexadecimal needed,
    0xff = 1 byte (255 in decimal) ,
    0xffff = 2 bytes (65535 in decimal),
    0xffffffff =  4 bytes (4294967295 in decimal)

Parameter size is specified in the manual.
    As the value now is above the "middle" (32767) of size 2 (so out of range if value is signed) you will need to convert the value into hexadecimal (enough tools for that on the internet).
    Your value would be 

Then it is also called an Unsigned value (range 65535 - 0).
    By default zwave is signed (range 32767  -  -32768), so your value is out of range if it signed.

(there is a reason it is called expert parameters :tongue:)

So your expert value would become
    14,2,0x9999
  • k1sk1s Member
    caseda.  Thanks. Not sure how any normal user would be expected to know/understand all that, <span>:wink:</span> but thanks.  I typed in 14,2,0x9999, and it accepted the inputs, but as far as I can tell, nothing is any different.  I don't see any different cards in the flows or the mobile app, was that to be expected?  Just one slider for dimming.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2018
    as i said before, a developer/app/homey/user can not change anything in the device after pairing, only during pairing except for parameters/settings.
    but even for zwave devices it is pretty limited to what can be done during pairing

please read back my big messages..

and also why i said, they are called Expert Parameters for a reason, unless you call all normal users Experts.

the GUI now is just very limiting, you need to learn to life with that until it is removed an fully rewritten to take full advantage of the new mobile only app.
  • k1sk1s Member
    caseda said:
    as i said before, a developer/app/homey/user can not change anything in the device after pairing, only during pairing except for parameters/settings.
    OK, so how would I ensure it is set appropriately during pairing? 

(I fully admit I'm not an expert, but I don't understand why you refer to these things as expert parameters.  There isn't any expertise required to get it working this way in the Fibaro ecosystem - you just follow the instructions. )
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2018
    yeah, cause fibaro home center and homey are the same right? oh wait, no they are not.

it is not like fibaro created the rgbw controller and can specifically tailor the GUI to the rgbw contoller, or is it? :scream:, where is athom is limiting the GUI to keep it uniform with every device you include, not just z-wave.

i will tell it again:
    you will get 1 device in homey, nothing more, nothing less (unless you create your own version of the app).
    This will not change, or rather can't change with changing the settings, this includes "expert parameters", that is not how homey works in the current GUI.

and with this current GUI still being available nothing will change for this device, as it is just Not Possible, to keep everyone happy with the 100's of possibilities the rgbw controller can do, your case is just 1 of them which is still doable in homey, just not like you are used to in home center. (the flow card part, which doesn't need ANY settings changed during, or after, pairing, or even changing the expert parameters).
    Especially if that person still has the mindset of an other controller trying to make it exactly the same as then.

if you want to control the outputs separately then it can only be done (directly) via the flow (THEN column) card.
    you don't need to change anything under expert parameters, as everything is being done for you by the selections you make in the device's settings.
    Expert parameters are called expert parameters cause they are not meant for the regular user, but for the user that knows what he is doing, as it will overwrite anything you do in the normal settings.

you can couple Anything to those flow cards, that includes better logic number (slider), virtual devices, normal logic number values, kaku switches, z-wave switches (that are not attached to the rgbw controller already), etc.

and yes parameter 14 is in the normal settings, but spread out over 3 separate settings (maybe even more, as i don't remember), to keep it User friendly, as in, for the people that don't know how to read the manual (who does that anyway), or know how parameters work.
  • k1sk1s Member
    @caseda.  I appreciate your attention to this but would ask you to be more patient with me - a regular user, and avoid sarcasm.  I understand well that Homey isn't made by Fibraro, but Homey/Athom does claim to 'support' Fibaro devices, and this functionality for this device is is not abnormal. 

Your point seems to be that the operating behaviour described is somehow some exotic feature that is expert/non-regular/non-standard.  Fine, that's Homey's point of view.  I understand the position [even though I merely point out that no expert development is necessary to get it working as described in their ecosystem  (nor as I understand it Smart Things, Vera or Homeseer)]. 

What I don't understand is how to get it working as described with Homey using the methods that you referenced about flows.  As I said, I can see that the voltages can be read and channel outputs set, but not what the flow should be to make it a work as described.  It is in this flow/programming respect that I find difficulty and in this that I ask for some more specific guidance or instructions.

• k1sk1s Member
    Could somebody (with patience) help me with a flow to dim 2 LED strips from one RGBW module please. 

The modules are wired like fig 7 in the manual - 2 sets of lights (in my case white LED strips):

caseda  seems to indicate that it can be done
    caseda said:...
    if you want to control the outputs separately then it can only be done (directly) via the flow (THEN column) card. ...you can couple Anything to those flow cards, that includes better logic number (slider), virtual devices, normal logic number values, kaku switches, z-wave switches...
    ...but I can't see how to get from a input value (either from the App card or a virtual device), because the only thing I can see that the 'then' cards let you set is brightness value based on a slider:

What am I missing?