This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Alexa/Google Assistant directly on Homey

I just read the news that Athom will not focus on improving voice recognition as of version 2, and instead integrate with Alexa and Google Assistant.
Wouldn't it be great to have a choice to run one of those assistants directly on the device itself? Alexa has an SDK with guides on how to run it on Linux based devices - which Homey is.

Comments

• MbenzNoMbenzNo Member
    edited March 2018
    I still think that Google Home Mini's and Alexa dots placed around the house is a better option than integrating this in Homey itself. Both Google and Alexa have far better hardware for microphones and speakers than Homey have.
  • rickprickp Member
    Would be great, however i would be going with MbenzNo's solution of putting in multiple dots. However i'm still waiting for the full Dutch intergration with custom hotword. Just found something about google might be making that possible. Since they also anounched support for Dutch Language i think i'm going with google. Think this should feel natural expecially when the "tell homey to" parts also becomes obsolete like with the amazon skill.

• MarcH said:
    I just read the news that Athom will not focus on improving voice recognition as of version 2, and instead integrate with Alexa and Google Assistant.
    Wouldn't it be great to have a choice to run one of those assistants directly on the device itself? Alexa has an SDK with guides on how to run it on Linux based devices - which Homey is.
    No thanks, Homey has enough to do already I need all the CPU power i can get (yes i'm still talking about the limited number of apps that can be installed). 
    As mentioned in another thread I'd rather have an app that would allow Alexa/GHome to be used an an input to Homey 
    replacing the "Something was said" cards  
  • SkorpionSkorpion Member
    edited April 2018
    The problem with the hole Homey speech issue are the microphones in Homey itself. If you use the smartphone app, it does work for example. The processing isn’t the issue. The results is that integrating Alexa or Google assistant into Homey isn’t going to fix anything.