This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
presence

Presence not reliable?

canedjecanedje Member
edited April 2018 in Questions & Help
I'm experiencing with presence.
It looks like it is not reliable.
It is not always detecting somebody is coming home or leaving home.
The same with smart presence.
Even if somebody is leaving or entering the home and the system is recognizing that it looks like that Homey is not getting the trigger all the times?

Are more people recognize this?
Is there a good solution for this problem?
I like to have something with Geofencing so Homey can react before somebody realy entering the house.
Tagged:

Comments

• Use Owntracks. There's postings on this forum how to set it up and get it running. It's way better (in my experience) than the default Presence detection.
  • Presence detection was quite unreliable for me in the beginning - but it has been working extremely stable for a long time now (although yesterday my son was angry that it didn't detect him coming home - but we discovered his phone was turned off).

Try deleting the phone and add it again - that worked for me.
  • As mentioned here:
    https://forum.athom.com/post/quote/4296/Comment_63614

I would delete the app at the phone, delete the phone in Homey, reboot, install the app at the phone and login - and then try again :-)
  • Do you have an iPhone or a Android device?
  • Thanks for the advices
    We do have Android devices.

• We are aware of issues regarding location on Android phones. With the release of the new mobile app these problems will be resolved
  • canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm lookig forward to the new release.Especiall the samsung s5 mini is not working.
    I tried the solutions you mentioned severall times. Until now it never worked.

When may we expect the new release?

• glijieglijie Member
    edited December 2017
    Android and Tasker works 100%

1. install Tasker from Android appstore
    2. install HTTP reguest flow cards from the Homey store
    3. make these 2 flows in Homey

and

4. open tasker on your phone
    5. press TAB "TASKS" and then +
    6. write "True Home"  ,V and + to add action
    7. click on "Net" and then "HTTP Get"
    8. enter at server:port the URL"https://Athom Cloud ID.homey.athom.com/api/app/com.internet/patthuis"  and press the arrow to the left 2x in upper left corner to save task

"patthuis" on the end of the URL has to be the same name as you used on step 3 here above, you can choose your own name
      Athom Cloud ID  you can find when you log in "my.athom.com" and you go to "settings" and then "system"

9. Press + and write "False Home", V and + to add an action
    10. click on "Net" and then "HTTP Get"
    11. enter at server:port the URL "https://Athom Cloud ID.homey.athom.com/api/app/com.internet/patweg" and press the arrow to the left 2x in upper left corner to save task

"patweg" on the end of the URL has to be the same name as you used on step 3 here above, you can choose your own name
      Athom Cloud ID  you can find when you log in "my.athom.com" and you go to "settings" and then "system"

12. Press TAB "PROFILES"  and + 
    13. click on "Location" and + for new location
    14. enter your adress by clicking on the 3 dots on upper right corner
    15. make sure "NET" and "GPS"  are selected and set radius on about 600m
    16. press left arrow on upper left corner and write "presence", V to save
    17. a window wil open where you can select the tasks you made earlier.
    18. select "true home"
    19. now click AND HOLD "true home" 
    20. click "Add Exit Task" and select "false home"
    21. click on the V on upper richt corner to save everything

now geofence works with your android phone together with homey.

succes!

• canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017
    wow looks complex.
    I will give it a try in the weekend.
    Thanks for the effort! :)

I did look in the appstore for tasker. It is the one to pay for? (€2,99)

• yep
  •  :) 
  • My phone (LG G5) used to work with presence, but for some reason it stopped working. I've tried many things like exclude Homey app from sleep modes (via Battery menu). Going to experimental release and going back to stable (once released).
    I resorted to using IFTTT and create a "If you enter an area" and then use "Homey - Trigger a Flow".

The Flow in the Homey is set up as a "IFTTT - if IFTTT triggered" and targets "me as a user" specifically. I then change my "presense" to be "at home"

Another IFTTT applet and Homey flow set me as "away"

I'm not 100% sure if IFTTT works without setting it to "ignore battery optimizations" or in "data saver" mode on my android.
  • Thanks for this solution @glijie
    I implemented this solution (Apple detection is working fine, Android not) and see this in Papertrail logging:

The update frequency is very high. Can this be changed to only happen on actual leaving and entering the geo fence?

Thanks!
  • rvowrvow Member
    Presence detection on iPhones has been unreliable for me in different domotica systems. Homey's detection is not better for that matter. Apple switches off the phones to preserve battery power, so wifi, BT or ARP detection, etc. don't work reliably. Apple's geofencing never worked for me as well. Sometimes the phones respond miles or hours later.

However, since I installed the Tado heating system, presence detection on two iPhones works reliably. I don't know what Tado does differently, they seem to combine different pieces of information, it works flawlessly. You have to have the Tado app on the phone, and enable background operation. I see no noticeable impact on phone battery life.
    You can even monitor the distance from base station with Homey.
  • @rvow tado works also perfect for me!! The other presence options (better presence, ping, ifttt etc) didnt work for me.
  • Is that Tado presence detection also usable without having the Tado itself ?
    So just use the software in Homey and on you're phone ?
  • canedjecanedje Member
    edited April 2018
    Is that Tado presence detection also usable without having the Tado itself ?
    Good question.
    Athom prommised to improve their presence at the update of the mobile app (see some comments above here). That was last december 2017. Until now no improvement and I'm still waiting
  • Eternity said:
    Thanks for this solution @glijie
    I implemented this solution (Apple detection is working fine, Android not) and see this in Papertrail logging:

The update frequency is very high. Can this be changed to only happen on actual leaving and entering the geo fence?

Thanks!
    change the radius

• Okidoki!
  • Is that Tado presence detection also usable without having the Tado itself ?
    No not out of the box. You need a tado device to create a account.
  • Bram said:
    We are aware of issues regarding location on Android phones. With the release of the new mobile app these problems will be resolved
    Is it resolved in the Beta yet?
  • No
  • rickprickp Member
    canedje said:
    No

I got precense stable with IFTTT. In short i made 2 IFTTT flows. 1 triggers on wifi connection and 1 on gps location, they both end with marking me home.

For leaving i use IFTTT gps location, wich markes me away.

This works 99/100 for the last 3 weeks! Everything runs just before a get to my front door and again when i leave my home area!
  • rickp said:
    canedje said:
    No

I got precense stable with IFTTT. In short i made 2 IFTTT flows. 1 triggers on wifi connection and 1 on gps location, they both end with marking me home.

For leaving i use IFTTT gps location, wich markes me away.

This works 99/100 for the last 3 weeks! Everything runs just before a get to my front door and again when i leave my home area!
    Can you share the flow that you made for this?