This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Philips Hue Fade in

Hi,

I have a lot of Philips Hue devices hooked up to my Homey (with the Hue bridge) which if working fine. But i would love them to be able to fade in or out slowly, to make the transition's more smooth. Is that possible? The timeout is just postponing the action...

Any tips? :)

Dennis

Comments

•  Which version ur using? There is a card with transition over time?
  • Yes, but wasn’t working for me! Dim to value over time worked, but Dim to 0 (off) didn’t. Don’t use it anymore, ditched the bridge....
  •  Which version ur using? There is a card with transition over time?
    Tried the last stable and the last beta, but i don't have a "Transition over time" card? Can you show a screenshot? Or is it maybe in the Hue Zigbee app?
  • Btw this option isn’t available or working within Zigbee apps
  • I have Hue Ambiance bulbs (so only 'white colors' (warm white to cold white)) and no Hue Bridge, so I use the Hue Zigbee app.  My bulbs change brightness and color based on the current sun-position (Sun Events app). What I did was create a 'target color' and 'target brightness' variable (I use the Better Variables app)

Unfortunately, Homey doesn't provide basic stuff like a 'while loop' or 'case statements', so you have to manually simulate them with a number of flows:

When Triggered - If  "Current brightness is smaller than Bulb brightness" - Then raise Bulb brightness by (e.g.) 0.05 (which is 5%) and trigger the same flow after 10 seconds.
    This way it loops until it has either reached (or slightly passed, maximum of 4%) the current brightness (in practice I don't see the difference of 5%, but maybe you do so maybe you can do it per percent and use a shorter timeout?)

I created four identical looping flows:
    One for raising the brightness
    One for lowering the brightness
    One for raising the color
    One for lowering the color

They are triggered by another flow that checks if the target color or target brightness is changed, and to prevent making a lot of those, I simply execute all four loops above and only the relevant one(s) will actually do something (due to the if-statement).

With the setup above, you'll need to keep in mind that if you DO want to change the brightness quickly (via a button or something) that you cange both the target value and the current value, else it will revert back slowly if something else triggers the target :)

• Yeah, but that is only there for "set brightness", not for turn on..
  • Did u try it?
  • Did u try it?
    Yes. It works, but because of it only being available at the "Set brightness" i then would have to do it for EVERY light, which is like 10 in my living room. Now i just use a "Switch on Scene <bla>", but that does not have the "transition part"?
  • Correct.