This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Control Homey IR devices via Amazon Alexa?

I have a Homey and a Amazon echo dot which I use as my main voice assistant, via Alexa I can control all my light switches and read all my temp sensors I have added as devices to my Homey.

Yesterday I tried to add my Logitech Z-5500 PC speakers to Homey via IR, this works perfectly if I use either the Homey desktop app or the Homey iOS app and I can control On/Off and Volume Up/Down directly from Homey via IR.

But when I try to scan for new devices in the Alexa iOS app (or via the web) Alexa does not discover any new devices even though this device have been added to Homey and is controllable.

What I would like to do is for instance say "Alexa, turn on office speakers" or "Alexa, office speaker volume up", etc.

Have anyone tried something similar and managed to get it to work?

Many thanks! 

Comments

• Alexa does not support other devices then switches, lights, thermostats by default, you should enable homey skill on alexa and create virtual devices as a switch, then create a flow incl. Vd to turn off or on actual device. In alexa you can now discover the virtual device 
  • jeroen_s said:
    Alexa does not support other devices then switches, lights, thermostats by default, you should enable homey skill on alexa and create virtual devices as a switch, then create a flow incl. Vd to turn off or on actual device. In alexa you can now discover the virtual device 

Ok, I managed to create a virtual device for a amplifier with on/off and volume up/down but Alexa still does not discover the virtual device.
  • Only on / off vd device is possible 
  • jeroen_s said:
    Only on / off vd device is possible 
    I really appreciate your help!

Still no luck though, which app for Virtual Devices should I use?
    The one called "Virtual Devices" or the one called "Device Groups"?

To clarify, I can add the virtual device as a switch and control the speakers via IR from the Homey iOS app and/or the desktop app. But when I try to add a new device to the Alexa app on my iOS device, no new device is found.
  • Finally managed to get it working, thanks for the help!
  •  :)