This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New shipment date for Homey?

Comments

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    There expectations was to hit 500 units a week. But the didn't tell us when smile 

December 2015 I thought my homey would be shipped early January and now with all the issues I'm not expecting it before the end of February.

When the produce 250 a week, the can ship all pledges within 1 month.
  • Maybe Athom can just ship a small part of the 2nd batch? Devide it in smaller batches of 25 Homey's. That will help to find more issues, but they will not be overwelmed with issues from 400 'Geeks' at once. 
  • Maybe Athom can just ship a small part of the 2nd batch? Devide it in smaller batches of 25 Homey's. That will help to find more issues, but they will not be overwelmed with issues from 400 'Geeks' at once. 
    Great idea! 
  • @honey Some people are reporting issues with KAKU devices: Can not add more then 2 devices. So bad luck if you use a lot off KAKU? Also point 6 is off concern at this moment. They can not reach the desired speed for flashing the homey's (posted 2:32 on slack)
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    Marco, surely these issues will be fixed before your homey would be `due`.
    The 500pcs/week production is one of the wildest guess, estimated before the production has started. All `predictions` were well off the reality why does it bother anyone to get facts? So everyone can have a clear picture. If someone is not interested in that fair enough but that does not apply to everyone.

• honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    @kasteleman We are talking about two different thing. The guys have good experience in programming. Those will be fixed relatively quickly.
    Part delivery would be absolutely sensible.
  • Update via Slack:

ziglar [2:30 PM] @weejewel: will these be on time?   Geek Backers €239,- (430 pcs)
    Estimated shipment: January 22 2016
    weejewel [2:30 PM] Don't count on it :simple_smile:
    It's an estimation after all
    ziglar [2:31 PM] to much setbacks ?
    weejewel [2:31 PM] Production isn't going as fast as I'd hoped
    We have a few bugs still
    ziglar [2:31 PM] or is production slower as expected ?
    lol sorry :stuck_out_tongue:
    minor bugs ?
    i’m at the factory as we speak
    picture time jeroen ? :smile:
    we have some issues when we scale the flashing line to bigger simultaneous batches
    ziglar [2:34 PM] whats the maximum at the same time ?
    jeroenvollenbrock [2:34 PM] therefore we can’t reach our desired speed, the factory line itself is working perfectly though in smaller batches
    ziglar [2:34 PM] whats smaller ? :stuck_out_tongue:
    jeroenvollenbrock [2:35 PM] that’s a little hard to say, as the homeys do not start their process at the same time
    I’d guess about 30/hour
    ziglar [2:36 PM] wow. thats actually pretty good(i think)
    jeroenvollenbrock [2:37 PM] depends, it’s too slow if you want a few thousand per month :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• ;) ;) MarcoF said:
    Maybe Athom can just ship a small part of the 2nd batch? Devide it in smaller batches of 25 Homey's. That will help to find more issues, but they will not be overwelmed with issues from 400 'Geeks' at once. 
    Great idea! 

This can be a good idea if they select some Geek backers that are very active on the forum and can dedicate time to thouroughly test and describe their tests so homey gets 'clear' cases to test/fix. I understand Geek backers want to start building apps and other stuff, but that can lead to overwelming requests for support so that can backfire...

I just hope @emile will do what he promissed, better and more frequent communications to his backers, followers and fans ;)

I don't care if he has to tell us there is a delay because of x, y and z and what actions are/will be taken to correct it. I do care if there is a delay and we are not informed!

• @honey Some people are reporting issues with KAKU devices: Can not add more then 2 devices. So bad luck if you use a lot off KAKU? Also point 6 is off concern at this moment. They can not reach the desired speed for flashing the homey's (posted 2:32 on slack)
    That is not true.
    Here all 20 device where 1 is waiting to add in de KaKu app.
  • MarcoF said:
    My reaction was on @DieterKoblenz about the "deadline" :wink: 

Lets say 80% of the "Geeks" are "real" GEEKS, then 20%(almost 100 Homey's) of the so called "Geeks" are not so Geek and Athom has a big problem. But i don't believe 80% of the geeks are real geeks and have also that amount of patience a geek could/should have.

I don't believe Athom will ship the product with such issues. 

1. IR problems, 
    2. no bluetooth audio
    3. no bluetooth low energy, 
    4. 433/HUE light/socket issues,
    5. "hotfix" for the crash issue, 
    6. updater issues (1:11 reported this, Geek badge 430 homeys can result in >40 homeys having troubles updating),
    7. etc.
    I'm also a bit disappointed in the speed issues are solved.

Issues is created by Firstbadge backer, Athom has a question and in most of the cases it takes days before the issue owner responses to that question. 
    The issues that are found, have nothing to do with being a Geek or not. That's the beauty and strenght of Homey. It's even for a "not Geek" easy to use. Yes there are some minor issues, but 80% my guess related to software and not the user. Yes new apps are few, but tho se we do have, are more then sufficient for operating Homey. :wink: 
    That is not true.
    Here all 20 device where 1 is waiting to add in de KaKu app.
    @TheoDeKoning thx for clearing that one!

In general i wanted to say: don't rush it, if there are some bigger issues remaining. That wouldn't do this very potential product any good.
  • Software issues in combination with geeks that are not so geek will let to more issues for athom. 

Sure 100% of the geeks can plug and play there homey. But 100 people ran into a bug, it's a big thingky for athom and the user experience. 

If 80 people ran into the "not able to update" bug and need to go into recovery.... Holy crappie.... 

The need to experienced the user base in the way @DaneeDeKruyff described. 
  • So there are no major software issues apart of the expected ones. The 30 pcs/h flashing wont cause production issue at this stage if they work 8 hours a day, 5 days a weak. Otherwise it is a resource issue. So can we get back to the topic:
    • Did Global Electronics allocated sufficient resources, manpower to achieve 300-400 pcs/week?
    • How many Homeys has been fully assembled so far?
    • Do they have all the component needed?
    • Are there any major issues they did not have when manufactured the first 13 pieces? (The speed of the flashing is not new and the 30 pcs/h would allow 1000+ pcs/week)
    • +1 Will there be part delivery?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    LoL

30*8*5=1200 a day.... 

Succes with the topic! 

Communication isn't going to change.... 

Op zijn hollands:
    Het is roeien tegen de bierkaai...
  • MarcoF said:
    LoL

30*8*5=1200 a day.... 

30*8*5=1200 à week aye?
  • edited January 2016
    Just a quick reminder: You're now making calculations with numbers that i have guessed in a conversation on slack. You shouldn't trust any conclusions based upon those numbers.

The number of Homeys that can be flashed in an hour varies greatly. When scaling up to bigger batches, a simple reboot of the production line could cause a huge delay because the entire batch has to be flashed again. Without taking startup-time and the number of simultaneous Homeys into account and without having more information about available man-power, you can't really say anything yet. I cannot give you a better estimate yet, due to the instability that even the most simple bugs can cause. Sometimes we indeed reach 30 Homeys/hour, but when for instance an error occurs or the some test results are negative, it could also mean we won't be able to flash more than 10 Homeys/hour for a couple of hours. This effect also makes it very hard to scale up the man-power at this moment, as you can very easily end up with a shortage or huge over-capacity.

We'll be able to give you more details once the number of produced Homeys per hour becomes more stable and predictable. (which ultimately will happen once we squash all bugs in the production line.) 
  • How many has been manufactured? Will you do part delivery?
  • kastelemankasteleman Member
    edited January 2016
    Just a quick reminder: You're now making calculations with numbers that i have guessed in a conversation on slack. You shouldn't trust any conclusions based upon those numbers.

The number of Homey's that can be flashed in an hour varies greatly. When scaling up to bigger batches, a simple reboot of the production line could cause a huge delay because the entire batch has to be flashed again. Without taking startup-time and the number of simultaneous homeys into account and without having more information about available man-power, you can't really say anything yet. I cannot give you a better estimate yet, due to the instability that even the most simple bugs can cause. Sometimes we indeed reach 30 homey's/hour, but when for instance an error occurs or the some test results are negative, it could also mean we won't be able to flash more than 10 homey's/hour for a couple of hours. This effect also makes it very hard to scale up the man-power at this moment, as you can very easily end up with a shortage or huge over-capacity.

We'll be able to give you more details once the number of produced homey's per hour becomes more stable and predictable. (which ultimately will happen once we squash all bugs in the production line.) 
    @JeroenVollenbrock So if i understand you correct, this only involves an issue for the productionline and has no influence on already deliverd Homey's that request a softwareupdate after you released a update?
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited January 2016
    In Holland and Belgium we say: geduld is een schone Zaak!
    Take ur time guys to deliver this high-end product when it's ready.

• I'll take a little risk - normally I try (but fail) to never give advice that isn't asked for :)

I would strongly recommend Athom to - before the first estimated shipping dates are hit - take a time window that is at least 2 or 3 times as big as the current 'reasonable' window, and indicate that to the community/backers (whilst having an internal target of much earlier). I think part of the community is asking insight and complaining about things that they might be entitled to (there have been some delays after all), but unmet expectations hurt this project much more, especially if things end up in a rushed delivery with lower-than-expected quality or bugs.

I, as a backer, pick up on the feelings - as well as on the disappointment of reading a copy/paste from slack where people offhandedly say that we shouldn't count on delivery in the estimated timeframe. Please tell us you need a month - or two, or more - and ship earlier than that. We, the backers, should be your first batch of advocates - and we deal less graciously with delays than you do, as we're interested in the product and getting our grubby hands on it.

We all know the cycle. We think of something great, promise all of it or more, and start building. In the process we lose small things, make some mistakes, and can't make all of those promises reality. Features drop and timescales slide. That's OK, but when you're with your nose in the product, you start to miss the scale and scope of all of that combined.

As many of the people here, I have a lot of experience in product development and bringing new things to the market. Managing the expectations of that first, very important, group of customers and backers, is more important. Lose some time, postpone some more, but take part of that additional time to be realistic and open. Communicate to the backers, think about how and what you communicate, and start taking the impact of lots of tiny disappointments more seriously. It will bring value to your product and your company, and (even more) motivation to you as a team.

Just my $0.02.

• @kasteleman: You are correct. These are two different systems. We have a build system that gets triggered each time an update is released. This build system generates incremental updates for the latest versions in each update channel, as well as a full update image and a recovery bundle. The recovery bundle is manually marked as the bundle that should be use at the production line and copied there. When the Homey is then shipped and installed, it connects to the firmware update service and asks for any incremental updates since the currently installed version. The incremental updates are then applied to reach the newest released software version.

The bugs we're currently trying to solve (whenever i'm not writing a response here, that is ;P), involve the bootstrapping and the self-test phase of the production line. This is the phase where the HUP (Homey Under Programming) has absolutely no on-board software. The productionline software then directly writes processor instructions to the processor that enable the HUP to load and boot a minimal OS of a few MBs. Once that is completed, the minimal OS is used to load the actual firmware on the internal storage of the HUP. Then, the HUP receives a reboot and initializes a self-test. After the self-test all read-only memory is programmed, verified, and sealed before they get packaged and shipped.
  • In Holland we say: geduld is een schone Zaak!

Huh In Holland? Belgium you mean? :wink: 

Sorry for the sidekick.....
  • @JeroenVollenbrock Thx for taking the time to write and respond. Sorry for snoping another minut of you're time :wink: 
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited January 2016

In Holland we say: geduld is een schone Zaak!

Huh In Holland? Belgium you mean? wink 

Sorry for the sidekick.....
    Post edited, sorry for that.
  • Clear communication!!! 
    I wrote this issue several weeks ago, and after some notes, everybody seems to be back in the old behaviour!!! Early and 'normal' buyers we got some rights!!
    it's very strange that several people have a Homey at home, and when you looked at there remarks before that monent and the present on the site according to there present and input NOW, I can say:
    :INCREDIBLE STRANGE!! 
    We only got about 3 photographs, funny talk about the cat and Homey, and more "move around the bush "talk!  Where are thise people? Suddenly the have NO TIme!!???  Strange!!

We need some real clearance, that means communication we all understand. And if you want it I am willing/can help you a about that, because it's quitte different from designing a Big project like Homey.

More clearance about:
    * how manny Homey's has beem shipped?
    * what are the results so far?
    *  if there is a delay,.....what is the exact schedule for the shipment in the next weeks: so who get's when?
    * is there an APP for windows? Yes/ NO. 
    * what is the name for this app?
    * Is there an App for Apple? When will this be readdy?
    * what equipment is probably working in 2 weeks?
    * What bugs are current?
    * who is responsable for what- so this site could talk directly to somebody
    And:
    1. so I suggest a excell sheet where everybody can clearly see the status of the actual situation and what  'thing' is allready working or not!
    2. Make a video about 
    _ working of Homey
    - connecting wifi
    _ connecting Hue , klik aan klik uit ( for example)

this is absolutly NO negative vieuw about the situation, but a positive!
    several menbers has done a contribution to this product and are enthousiastic about the possibilities! Let's keep them in that emotion, don't lose them!!
    be open en clear in the actual and future situation. 

So stop with short crazy, nice looking short video's, take a professional approache! Other wise everybody remember the guy who want's to sit on a couch and....
    Homey is worth much more!!
    so pack your team together and bri g yourself to the NEXT LEVEL!!

turn your buyers into your greatest FAN'S

• The number of Homeys that can be flashed in an hour varies greatly. When scaling up to bigger batches, a simple reboot of the production line could cause a huge delay because the entire batch has to be flashed again. 
    Sounds like you got Will Smith as agent in Men in Black standing in front of the table of Homeys with his shades on and his neuralizer ready and saying "Now, I want you all to pay close attention..."
  • I would like a down vote button. Can you make a -1 also?
  • I really don’t understand this ongoing nonsense by some backers: `Take your time. Make a better quality product`. Hello! It is not an art work. This is about a hardware production. The industrial robots won`t make a better quality PCB just because they do it slowly.

Common! even with 10 pieces per hour they should have already around 1000 pieces of homey by now. Do they have? Just laying low and when they do communicate it is misty.

Really annoyed by the lullabies about deliveries and so on. Still have to go through the forum and dig for small pieces or info. How long the informative website is being promised? The documentation for developers is still not ready. iOS app. So on.

Since beginning of November the factory could not find out what resources they need? Or since the first batch has been made. Really? Also the lack of management at Athom is clearly visible here.

Shall I hope that I will get something in the next two months just because some people got it. Zano has also delivered couple of products before they went bankrupted. I don`t say that is the case with Homey but the point is some delivered product is not a warranty for anything.

Last January the Pre-order was promised for summer. I was calculating with couple of months delay. What has happened when they promised October, than December than February.  And still there is no evidence that it will be shipped by summer 2016. On the top of that the family is nagging me all the time where is the promised completion date of the unfinished wirings, etc.

Can I cancel a pre-order?

• Better to wait for Emile to answer and not speculate .... (yes i know NEXT LEVEL 2)

Have a nice evening all  
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
This discussion has been closed.