This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Where are all the Arduino developers?

Hi all, When the announcement was made that the Arduino library was available I really thought that that would be the time we would see some examples of own development. I see some projects, but still, it's very limited. Creating simple sensors and actors should not be that hard, right?
Things I'm considering:
  • Creating sensors on my garage door to show the exact positioning of the door and movement (opening/closing)
  • Creating distance parking sensor in my garage and combine this as presence sensor of my car.
  • Creating DIY (wired) movement sensors that give more frequent updates than the Z-wave battery ones.
  • A bedside "control" panel with buttons to arm/disarm the "alarm", put the house in sleep/wake-up mode, etc.
  • I was also considering wall mount switches with some pre-defined dim levels. (Off-25%-50%-100%)
  • Adding a light sensor to my dishwashers status light to detect if it's running or not.
Lot's of ideas, but not enough time. Maybe that's the same issue for others here. But it's also possible that I'm not searching for the right projects in the forum?

Anybody already actively using the library?

Comments

• Michael said:
    Hi all, When the announcement was made that the Arduino library was available I really thought that that would be the time we would see some examples of own development. I see some projects, but still, it's very limited. Creating simple sensors and actors should not be that hard, right?
    Things I'm considering:
    • Creating sensors on my garage door to show the exact positioning of the door and movement (opening/closing)
    • Creating distance parking sensor in my garage and combine this as presence sensor of my car.
    • Creating DIY (wired) movement sensors that give more frequent updates than the Z-wave battery ones.
    • A bedside "control" panel with buttons to arm/disarm the "alarm", put the house in sleep/wake-up mode, etc.
    • I was also considering wall mount switches with some pre-defined dim levels. (Off-25%-50%-100%)
    • Adding a light sensor to my dishwashers status light to detect if it's running or not.
    Lot's of ideas, but not enough time. Maybe that's the same issue for others here. But it's also possible that I'm not searching for the right projects in the forum?

Anybody already actively using the library?
    From what i hear from developers that i know are busy with Arduino is time, just like you say. Those who are busy are mostly talking in the #homeyduino channel on the Athom slack
  • 2mv2mv Member
    I have made a esp8266 switch a relay (low voltage) in order to control a ventilation unit. Used Homeyduino app in homey for this. Works great.
    Only thing is the pairing of the device in the Homeyduino app "does not always work". This is holding me back to do more with this. 
    But I don't consider myself a developer and I'm not on slack, so... holding my breath to see some other projects...
  • swtttswttt Member
    Off-topic: Slack isn't just for developers.

I am not into arduino at all. But know a few users on Slack use mysensors as well.
  • this is the first time i hear of a homeyduino channel on slack
  • i've already added homey support to https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna
    but not released it yet.

i've been testing it for a couple of days now (with sonoff dual, pow, th16, kmc 70011 and Tonbux Powerstrip02).
  • SlofwareSlofware Member
    edited April 2018

Planning to hang my new house full with the ESP8266 and then control it with homey, for now the list of projects are:

• Lamp on/off
    • itho ventilation
    • sun screens
    • floor heating pump with a ds18b20 sensor
    • Controlling MiLight bulbs
    • reading out the smart meter on the P1 poort

• I use Homeyduino in combination with an ESP8266 + relay for my (warm water) heater. The heater automatically switches off after 10 minutes of shower use to prevent huge energy bills. It works fine. I had to add a function + flow to check whether the device is still connected to Homey though.
  • I just built the ESP8266 based NFC reader.

I saw the blog post and thought to myself - I have an ESP8266 Wemo board (example code works on Wemo the same as with NodeMCU with exact same PIN defs) and an NFC reader with same chip that I bought on eBay.

The example works 100%.

In addition I added the standard OTA update code to the ESP8266 and I added an LED that lights for 2 seconds when it reads an NFC.

I will use this to disarm an alarm system based on Homey

I have many ESP8266 based gadgets around my house. I will try and add the Honey code to most of them. I'll report back how that goes

• I have many ESP8266 based gadgets around my house. I will try and add the Honey code to most of them. I'll report back how that goes
    That will be nice to know what project's you are working at
  • edited April 2018
    The ESPs that I have working right now
    NFC reader - this is so far the only one that I added Homey support for

Fan driver in bath room (Sonos based but modified) - autonomous humidity control - Wemo emulation for remote on off so I can control it with Alexa, and http interface for Google Home->IFTTT->Webhookes>My Apache server->ESP8266. Homey could eliminate some of these many steps

Control of light in hallway. You may think - normal on/off switch. But the existing installation uses a central latching relay (one pulse is on and next is off and so on) and 4 momentary press type wall switches.  I wanted to maintain the function of the switches and add Alexa/Google control. This means an ESP8266 that creates a 0.5 second pulse to switch on and off. But you also want to make sure that "Alexa turn on the hallway" does nothing if the light is already on. So I replaced the latching relay with one with two contacts. One for the light. And the other is connected to the humidity sensor input of the Sonoff TH10 so the ESP8266 knows the current state of the light. The rest is currently a WEMO emulation and rest interface for Alexa and the Google Home->IFTTT->Webhooks->My Apache server->ESP8266
    Again adding Homey control could eliminate that dependency of IFTTT and Webhooks.

I have an ESP8266 which has a light sensor and a hacked 868 MHz RF remote control. I did an really fun hack to emulate pressed keys on a scanned keyboard to send commands to turn some radio controlled sockets on and off.
    The light sensor measures the ourdoor light and turns light on and off pretending someone is home when we are not home. I have later removed all the 868 MHz switches and replaced all lights with Zigbee lights (35 lamps) controlled by a Philips hue. My plan is to change this box so it becomes a Homeyduino lightsensor and let Homey do the on and off. I could base it on sun data but in reality the weather makes a huge difference in amount of light. It gets dark an hour earlier when there are heavy clouds. The current old scheme also sucks because it turns light off at 0:30 even when I have guests. We Homey owners can figure out better ways to handle that, right ;-). So Homeyduino lightsensor would be that one

I have an ESP8266 to control the lights around a makeup mirror. Alexa turn on Magic Mirror. Simple WEMO and IFTTT etc thing with a toggle on/off switch placed nicely on the IKEA lamp that holds 5 bulbs. Again I use the TH10 Sonoff because even if you do not use the temp/humidity sensor, that mini jack input makes it easy to add a switch or similar. I can really recommend buying the TH10 instead of the standard Sonoff switch. And Homeyduino is dead simple to install on the Sonoff. But do yourself the favour and add the OTA code so you can upgrade features without taking down the device.

I have a camera server running Motion (a linux based camera surveillance software that I was maintaining and developing for many years. I have passed it on to a new guy now that does a magnificent job). The 8-ch video capture card sucks and freezes when it gets warm in the summer. And it is always when I am in France or Italy on vacation! Now I can reset the darn Linux machine by logging into my webserver and do a rest call to an ESP8266 that just resets the frozen machine. I can imagine changing the software on this one to include Homeyduino and make a combination of pushing messages and a watchdog.

I have an ESP8266 with an RF receiver that receives an RF signal when I get mail in my mail box and another signal when I empty the mailbox. (Two magnet sensors). It also turns on an LED so I can see in the windows if it is worth the trouble to open my mailbox to check mail. Obvious Homeyduino candidate

And I have an ESP8266 placed on an old 16 char LED display. A 1 meter wide thing meant to be placed in a shop window. The ESP receives text via http requests and displays it. I use it to show when I get snail mail in the mailbox.
    You can imagine how I can use this in a Homey context. I can send all sorts of messages to that display.

My next ESP8266 project will be one that monitors the vibrations of my washer and dryer and notifies us when it has been moving for a while and suddenly is still. Homeyduino candidate as well. A vibration  stopped sensor that triggers an event on the Homey,

I keep on buying Sonoffs and Wemo D1 minis from China. They are so cheap and the Arduino environment makes it possible to code with almost no programming experience. It is so easy. The Homeyduino is a really cool way to connect these to Homey.