This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Best supported doorbell [Doorbird, Ring, Fubar, 433]

UrandayUranday Member
edited February 2018 in Devices
Hi All, 

Currently our doorbell is FuBar. Thus I'm looking for a new one. What I would like is that the Homey could receive the button press and secondly could send a signal to the bell itself. What doorbell is currently best supported? 

Patrick 

Comments

• vanillasskyvanillassky Member
    edited October 2016
    I use the alecto adb-17. It used to work with homey then it didn't work because of some bug, now i'm not sure if it works because i can' t test it right now. It is my understanding however that if you press the doorbell-button it will send an 433mhz signal that your homey can receive at the same time that the normal doorbell-receiver gets it. So homey would not need to be sending out a signal to the bell itself or do you mean something differently? 
  • is it possible to make it in such a way that the doorbell only rings when I want it to ring. So for instance, when i´m watching a movie, the doorbell doesn´t ring but a small light just turns on. and when I´m listening to music the bell rings and a lights turns on?
  • @ThijsDeJong that is possible. I myself use a KAKU (KlikAanKlikUit) doorbell. When added, you get a card "Doorbell was rang" or something similar which you can use as the "When" part in the flow.
    At our office, we then combine it with a "Ding Dong" mp3 on the soundboard app in Homey. When it's a sunny day and we spend some time in the garden, we lock the frontdoor and instead of the Ding Dong we place a "Send a push morse" card for our mobile phones. Ofcourse, you can also place a "Turn HUE light on"-card or any other action instead.
  • THNX, Than I got my work cut out. Any nice deals known?

• jorden said:
    @ThijsDeJong that is possible. I myself use a KAKU (KlikAanKlikUit) doorbell. When added, you get a card "Doorbell was rang" or something similar which you can use as the "When" part in the flow.
    At our office, we then combine it with a "Ding Dong" mp3 on the soundboard app in Homey. When it's a sunny day and we spend some time in the garden, we lock the frontdoor and instead of the Ding Dong we place a "Send a push morse" card for our mobile phones. Ofcourse, you can also place a "Turn HUE light on"-card or any other action instead.
    So you're not using the doorbell part but only the push-button I suppose? 
  • Yes and no. If possible I would like the doorbell to control my (old) doorbell and be able to turn on a light. I want to be able to control the use of the (old) doorbell depending on variables. without putting a z wave dimmer in between

• I don't know if that's possible, haven't tried.

You might be able to use the 'old' doorbell part, the receiver that makes the sound, if you pair it to Homey. I am not sure if that's possible.

I myself only use the push button part.
  • Well with homey that is totally possible. Unless your old doorbell is not supported by homey. 
  • Am using the ACDB-7000BC.
    Just using the standard button that came with the house.
    Using a relais to trigger the inside part. That way the existing gong is also working if u like.
    And u can make flow's for whatever u want.
  • I am using the Alecto Adb 17. However since 0.9.1 not working. There is a github issue pending for this 
  • I have a wired doorbell, is there a solution that can trigger Homey and that has a silent/sleep mode(disable the Ring)? 

I found this Honeywell doorbell which can be connected to my existing setup, but I dont know if homey could recieve its 868mhz called ActivLink transmission. And I doubt that you could turn on the sleep mode via Homey...
    http://livewell.honeywell.com/en/doorbells/dw915s/

Any other suggestion?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited October 2016
    Homey does have an extra 868 chip, apart from the zwave-controller:
    https://blog.athom.com/2016/04/17/a-technical-introduction-homey/#more-25

So should be possible in theory (in the future). I only see one antenna though...
  • I use a Fibaro door/window sensor, which has connections which I've hooked up to an old-fashioned doorbell button. The button is on the outside, the sensor on the inside. Sends a signal to Homey, which in turn sounds the KAKU doorbell, and also sends a Pushover message.
    Works like a charm, good re-use of the door/window sensor which I wasn't using.
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the tip with the fibaro door sensor. I just bought and installed one (FGK-101). I just got the problem that once the contact alarm (triggered by doorbell as external switch) is on it wont go off. I changed parameter 1 (input in alarm cancellation delay) and tried both options with parameter 9 (transmission of alarm cancelling frame) but nothing helps. 

My situation: 1st Push= On, 2nd Push= Off, 3rd Push= On ...

Maybe you, @SergeR  can tell me your setup, or @caseda has an Idea.
  • Have you played around with the type of switch setting? I configured the sensor in HC2, and paired it to my Homey. So I didn't actually configure the device in Homey. It just continued to work as it did before, and it has been a while since I configured it back in HC2.
  • If you can't get it to work, I have another door/window sensor around which I could reset, and try to get it to work in Homey.
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for your fast answer!
     I made some progress but it is not fully working yet. I got the sensor now working that it displays the contact alarm once the doorbell is pushed and turns off again. I recieved this by changing the Operation Mode back to Door/Window Sensor and not External Switch (a bit confusing).
    The Sensor works a few button presses and then it stops for a few. No reaction at all. I tried to figure out if it is caused by the amount of presses or the delay / pause between them, but I couldnt find a relation.
  • After 3 hours of testing I begin to think that the sensor might be faulty... There was no manual delivered with it and I found +3 different manuals online with different parameter numbers. And I can only wake the sensor up by holding the outer TMP button and pressing the inside TMP 3 times. Took me some time to figure this out and it is not written down in any of these manuals...
  • HI @Peao , How did you change the operation mode? Today I also tried to use the door contact as doorbell. I experience the same issue. After pressing the doorbell it triggers the alarm but it wont go off. Thanks
  • If you have your homey updated to the latest stable version and use the fibaro app you can change the parameter of the operation mode with checkboxes. I used Door/Window Sensor instead of External Switch, that did the trick for me to let the alarm go off.

And I had a small improvement with my setup, I changed the Parameter no. 3 (Type of IN Input) to 2 = Input_Monostable. This resulted in a much higher rate of correct triggers when i pushed the Doorbell, but there still are some pushes that are never recieved by the sensor. Does this help to point down my issue?
  • ARJARJ Member
    How about the dbell?  
    (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dbell-live-smartest-video-doorbell-security-cam#/)
    Can it be integrated in Homey?
  • MoekMoek Member
    ARJ said:
    How about the dbell?  
    (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dbell-live-smartest-video-doorbell-security-cam#/)
    Can it be integrated in Homey?
    In the comments it's stated that there will be no api available and that integration with other systems should be done with https://www.onvif.org/ 
    No idea if that will work with homey...
  • leadsratingleadsrating Member
    edited June 2017
    Currently, Ring Pro is the only doorbell that supports Homey. In Ring Pro Review, it supports the major names like IFTTT, Homey, SmartThings, etc.

Other video doorbells like Skybell HD, Doorbird and August Doorbell Cam don't offer such third-party friendliness.

Moderator edit:

Above is not true that only Ring works with Homey, as posted in the post below and as can be seen in the app store there are more options to use a smart doorbell with Homey, for example the doorbird alternative

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited June 2017
    Currently, Ring Pro is the only doorbell that supports Homey. In Ring Pro Review, it supports the major names like IFTTT, Homey, SmartThings, etc.

Other video doorbells like Skybell HD, Doorbird and August Doorbell Cam don't offer such third-party friendliness.
    So not true: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.doorbird

:wink:

Doorbird is the only one that actually offers an open API.
  • I’m also looping for a Smart Doorbell.
    I was thinking about dbell because it’s onvif compatible and it can record to my Synology.
    But I want it to be compatible with Homey so maybe I will buy a Ring Pro ... .
    I only don’t like the fact that I have to pay for the recordings ... .
    Is there a way arround with Homey ?
  • SoDaDeals said:
    I’m also looping for a Smart Doorbell.
    I was thinking about dbell because it’s onvif compatible and it can record to my Synology.
    But I want it to be compatible with Homey so maybe I will buy a Ring Pro ... .
    I only don’t like the fact that I have to pay for the recordings ... .
    Is there a way arround with Homey ?
    Why not buy Doorbird, has Onvif (so connection to Synology) , no subscription like Ring and a Homey app
  • I bought the Ring Pro because it has a wireless chime and it includes a power adapter that fits onto a din-rail ...
    I'm happy with it and I'm thing about buying the flood light for a drive way ...
  • I’ve got an old fashioned electromechanical doorbell that I turned smart by stuffing a Xiaomi Door/Window sensor close to the coil. Works like a charm!
  • Kyrcio said:
    I’ve got an old fashioned electromechanical doorbell that I turned smart by stuffing a Xiaomi Door/Window sensor close to the coil. Works like a charm!
    Clever
  • @Kyrcio could you please Tell me how you did this with the door sensor? Thank you