This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Which other controllers are simular to Homey?

Are there any other controllers available yet which are simular to Homey?

The strong points of Homey is that it can control several systems (zwave, zigbee etc etc) in one device.

In the past there was no other device which could do this, but we are now almost 2 years further and it would not surprise me that other brands have copied this, so which brabds/devices are simular?

Comments

• Except for DIY-projects none that I personally know of. And taking the UI into account then none at all...
  • bvdbos said:
    Except for DIY-projects none that I personally know of. And taking the UI into account then none at all...
    Saw this one, coming soon in the USA -> http://atmoshome.tech/ Has also z-wave/zigbee on board 
  • ok zwave and zigbee both is not that unique, vera has also both and is a very open system and easy to program for.
    VIn that case i would prefer vera because it is a proved system and also for years available.

It is more protocols such as IR, BT, RF 433/866, NFC etc what most systems do not have
  • B3rt said:
    ok zwave and zigbee both is not that unique, vera has also both and is a very open system and easy to program for.
    VIn that case i would prefer vera because it is a proved system and also for years available.

It is more protocols such as IR, BT, RF 433/866, NFC etc what most systems do not have
    As can be seen above also has IR/BL but no 433/866 but that is normal because it's US market and they don't have 433/866 (kaku). Also here you see the movement from KaKu (433) to move to Zigbee because that is a more futureproof signal with two-way information. 433/866 will die in the near future for home automation when users want more stability and reliability
  • edited February 2018
    There is also "myhomebox" https://www.myhomebox.house

Has most of the same controllers as Homey. Don't have hands on experience with this one yet :)
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited February 2018
    There is also "myhomebox" https://www.myhomebox.house

Has most of the same controllers as Homey. Don't have hands on experience with this one yet :) 

**Picture removed by request of @MrDutchfighter and MyHomeBox**
    Well curious, let us know how it works, how it looks and feel! 
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited February 2018
    MYHOMEBOX will be available soon. Be the first to own it - pre-order now!

Another company which thinks it can do what Athom does :(
  • NEEO

https://neeo.com/

Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)Bluetooth 4.0Z-Wave Plus (500 series / US, EU Version)IEEE 802.15.4 dual antenna (6LowPAN and ready for Thread, ZigBee)10/100BASE-T EthernetBuilt-in IR receiver (learning mode)Unique internal 360° IR blaster design (just works)3.5mm jack IR output (for included 360° extender, allows operation of devices inside and outside cabinets)HDMI CEC (for future use)

• Came across this one as well recently:

https://qolsys.com/iq-panel-2/
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited February 2018
    Lesley said:
    Neeo is no competitor but an addition to Homey, according to Niels de Klerk. He is one of the top-contributers on the Neeo-forum and owns a Homey too... Also, see https://apps.athom.com/app/nl.nielsdeklerk.neeo
  • bvdbos said:
    MYHOMEBOX will be available soon. Be the first to own it - pre-order now!

Another company which thinks it can do what Athom does :(
    Hmm wonder why this product isn't released yet. Since it is in development from of 2015! and still not released. So did they have huge bugs or $ issues... It looks promising: pro's are the ULE DECT protocol , Con's are that it looks like it needs a myhomebox cloud connection and there's no(?) API for custom extensions.... So it looks Homey has a huge step ahead . However i would like athom to release a homey that just in a black box with out the fancy lookalike since most of the people are just putting it into their meter box anyway.
  • The fancy look doesn't cost anything. And then you can't use native voice in or sound out, you can't see the colors of her ring etc etc.
  • michelkampmichelkamp Member
    edited March 2018
    bvdbos said:
    The fancy look doesn't cost anything. And then you can't use native voice in or sound out, you can't see the colors of her ring etc etc.

to be honest , voice control of homey isn't the key feature anymore since the smart speakers Alexa , Cortana , google ect have taken this space already. Even Athom agrees on this during the live webcast with Bright TV. And i think this is a wise choice.  But making a light version of homey would take down the price too so that’s a good marketing strategy since a lot of new boxes are going to be dropped on the market in 2018~2020. Again anyway many people put the home automation gateways in their meter box and personally the only led (ring) i want to see are the leds in the bulbs ;-). 

@Athom what would your idea be on creating a less fancy box for a lower price ?

• bvdbos said:
    The fancy look doesn't cost anything. And then you can't use native voice in or sound out, you can't see the colors of her ring etc etc.

to be honest , voice control of homey isn't the key feature anymore since the smart speakers Alexa , Cortana , google ect have taken this space already. Even Athom agrees on this during the live webcast with Bright TV. And i think this is a wise choice.  But making a light version of homey would take down the price too so that’s a good marketing strategy since a lot of new boxes are going to be dropped on the market in 2018~2020. Again anyway many people put the home automation gateways in their meter box and personally the only led (ring) i want to see are the leds in the bulbs ;-). 

my thoughts exactly, remove the LED's, voice, WiFI & round shape and add UTP connection & a beefed-up CPU (to allow 80+ apps before slowing down) 

• techniman said:
    bvdbos said:

my thoughts exactly, remove the LED's, voice, WiFI & round shape and add UTP connection & a beefed-up CPU (to allow 80+ apps before slowing down) 

Would be cool with a Homey Pro model. 
    Like a better CPU and Ram
  • @Athom what would your idea be on creating a less fancy box for a lower price ?

I would prefer a less fancy but more powerful box for the same price as now.
  • Fire69 said:

I would prefer a less fancy but more powerful box for the same price as now.
    little lower price would be better option and more justifiable, one could even argue to install the different transceivers, as modules    
  • Found a new upcomming ~90$ :
    https://www.mixtile.com
    • Mixtile Hub is internet independent. It processes all data locally and store the data in the hub itself.
    • Mixtile Hub has a built-in voice assistant, you can control your home just by asking nicely. The voice control can work even without internet.
    • You can see your smart device status on the TV or display when the hub and TV/display are connected with a HDMI cable. You can monitor your rooms without pick up your phone.
    • Mixtile Hub has open framework, and you can add more devices from different brands to it if only you further develop it.

• yeah... Not going to happen... Big promises but that won't work I'm sure...
  • bvdbos said:
    yeah... Not going to happen... Big promises but that won't work I'm sure...
    what part ?
  • Mixtile Hub has a built-in voice assistant, you can control your home just by asking nicely. The voice control can work even without internet.

people are complaining about Homey already which does voice-recognition in a specialized cloud-service. Local recognition will be much worse....

Also Zigbee, Zwave, Wifi, BT, an open ecosystem etc etc for less then 1/3 of the price of Homey? They will hit their head hard.
  • @bvdbos agree on the voice part. That's a battle you will not win as there are other better big parties offering it. But i think the hardware can do it for this price label. Look at Smarthings 'almost' the same for even less.

• swtttswttt Member
    It sounds like mixtile is using snips.ai for the voice part.