This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Alexa

[Skill] Alexa Homey skill

1235»

Comments

• Did someone managed to send commands the other way? (so from Homey to Alexa). For example, I would like to use a device to control the volume of Spotify (played by alexa). 
  • Roephoed said:
    Did someone managed to send commands the ot inher way? (so from Homey to Alexa). For example, I would like to use a device to control the volume of Spotify (played by alexa). 

I don't believe this is possible but I wish it were too - I use Alexa to play music and wish I could stays it based on other conditions
  • Since I changed to the new skill, Alexa seems to automatically discover all devices on homey. I've removed unwanted ones from the list but when I looked another day (no idea how long it takes, mins/hours/days) they have all been discovered again. This I realise is happening repeatedly so I assume Alexa automatically discovers.

There are some things in there I really don't want to be listed. Some things I really could do without accidentally been turned off via misheard voice control.

Would it be possible to add the option in homey to give control of what can and cannot be discovered by Alexa? A tick box per device that only shows when Alexa skill is in use for example?
  • Nope not possible, you can however “disable” them under Smarthome / Devices, so they won’t be discovered the next time 
  • Of course it's possible! I'm talking about Athom offically adding the option rather than homey just giving out everything on the list. 

I don't see an option to disable, just forget.. and then it comes back at some future point.
  • OK I've found out why, I use the web version.. turns out the mobile app version of Alexa gives more options, I don't normally use that so didn't know this! Thanks for making me look :)
  • When Ispamenigma said:
    OK I've found out why, I use the web version.. turns out the mobile app version of Alexa gives more options, I don't normally use that so didn't know this! Thanks for making me look :)
    Can you tell me where to find this? If I am going to devices I only can forget the device, I don't see an option to disable it.

Thanks!
  • Sounds like an old app version to me.
  • Screenshot is from latest ios alexa app ;-)
  • And in the old app there was an option to forget the device and that's it. At the bottom of the page there was a button to forget all devices.
  • I have a random question - is there a way for Homey to talk with Alexa (rather than the other way around) using the skill?

I use the echo to play music, so would be great if I could make a flow that would tell the Echo to play music...
  • vaderag said:
    I have a random question - is there a way for Homey to talk with Alexa (rather than the other way around) using the skill?

I use the echo to play music, so would be great if I could make a flow that would tell the Echo to play music...
    Just put the Echo next to your Homey and let Homey speak Echo and then your command? 
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    edited April 2018
    vaderag said:
    I have a random question - is there a way for Homey to talk with Alexa (rather than the other way around) using the skill?

Just put the Echo next to your Homey and let Homey speak Echo and then your command? 
    I did actually do that at one point but it was a little annoying... plus I've now moved my Homey to be away from my echo so I can use it for my home security
  • I can't remember if I've asked this question already here or not, but I I have I guess things have changed quite a lot since I did!!

Is there any way for the command response from Homey to be manipulated?

For example, I have a LightwaveRF light that doesn't behave nicely - if I say set the lights to 100% it doesn't change, same at 0% but 10-90% seem to work okay.

I'd like to add logic to Homey so that if e.g. 100% is received from Alexa for this device it actually sends a 95% command...

Possible at all?
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    Me again, probably takingt to myself...

Is there any way to track when a command comes in specifically from Alexa?

I'd like to track when a command comes from Alexa to trigger a variable. E.g when I send a manual command via Alexa, delay some automatic commands for a bit
  • After adding an Alexa Dot to the Homey setup in our house I can really experience a lot of improvement in controlling devices. I'm still wondering if @Emile is considering to add the Fibaro roller shutter, Fibaro sensors and the Universal Binary sensor to the Alexa skill so we can either control them or request the actual status (open/closed and temperature please).
  • @nteuniss did you try to use virtual devices (VD) to do that? It may solve all you problems. (with virtual devices you are able to control almost everything with Alexa. Just make a VD and you can literally trigger every flow with that VD)
  • Roephoed said:
    @nteuniss did you try to use virtual devices (VD) to do that? It may solve all you problems. (with virtual devices you are able to control almost everything with Alexa. Just make a VD and you can literally trigger every flow with that VD)
    Yes I did, but when I add a VD that supports Sun Screen (Up-Down-Idle) the device does not show in the Alexa discovered devices. Do you or anyone else have an example how to solve that and have Alexa control a sun screen?

I'm using a Fibaro Roller shutter and it would be greate to ask Alexa to do the following:
    - Sunscreen down
    - Sunscreen Stop
    - Sunscreen up

Any thoughts how to solve that, preferably without creating three separate flows.
  • Only on or off (like power socket) vd works
  • nteuniss said:
    Roephoed said:
    @nteuniss did you try to use virtual devices (VD) to do that? It may solve all you problems. (with virtual devices you are able to control almost everything with Alexa. Just make a VD and you can literally trigger every flow with that VD)
    Yes I did, but when I add a VD that supports Sun Screen (Up-Down-Idle) the device does not show in the Alexa discovered devices. Do you or anyone else have an example how to solve that and have Alexa control a sun screen?

I'm using a Fibaro Roller shutter and it would be greate to ask Alexa to do the following:
    - Sunscreen down
    - Sunscreen Stop
    - Sunscreen up

Any thoughts how to solve that, preferably without creating three separate flows.
    Like @jeroen_s said, only use the power socket VD (or the most simple dim device). This will show up in Alexa. Let us know if it works!
  • Hi,

I'm new to homey just have it for 3 days. After the trouble with the voice recognition I decided to buy an echo dot. I sort of get how to program the homey but I don't really get how to connect the alexa to it.

I saw some people that use a VD as a switch for alexa to turn on and off. They also said that we should put the VD in the off state at the end of the same flow. I get why you need it. If u don't u will not be able to "switch" the VD on again by alexa if u switch to another flow. In my case from "TV" on to "movie" on.(The "TV" switch stays on) The words "TV" and "Movie" are the names of my VD switches that trigger the flows.

I'll try to explain a couple of flows I have so u can understand the issues.

I have flows that set things off, depending what I'm watching, that means 1 for TV(includes cablebox), 1 for movies (includes schield), one for tv shows, and one for music (music gets cast to my nvidea shield trough spotivy). 

If I want to stop watching. I'll say: alexa stop "TV" of turn "TV" off. If watching a show trough kodi on my shield I'll say stop or turn "TV show" off.  (Some flows trigger lights aswell)

The problem I'm having when I switch it leaves the VD on. So I can't activate it again. But if I turn the VD off, won't it just set the other flow in motion, and turn everything off right after?

I can solve this by naming the trigges tv on and tv off. But then ill have to say turn tv on on, and tv off off. That's not really what I'm looking for.. How do you guys do it? Do you use 1 flow to turn the whole HiFi system off? Something unique like: "HiFi" off?

One extra question. Do you pause Spotify when switching flows form music to movies on the same system? Or does is do that automicly? Even when staying an my shield but just changing lights?

That's alot for taking the time I. Reading this. Looking forward for an awnser.

Greetings Ron.
  • hadreth said:
    Hi,

I'm new to homey just have it for 3 days. After the trouble with the voice recognition I decided to buy an echo dot. I sort of get how to program the homey but I don't really get how to connect the alexa to it.

I saw some people that use a VD as a switch for alexa to turn on and off. They also said that we should put the VD in the off state at the end of the same flow. I get why you need it. If u don't u will not be able to "switch" the VD on again by alexa if u switch to another flow. In my case from "TV" on to "movie" on.(The "TV" switch stays on) The words "TV" and "Movie" are the names of my VD switches that trigger the flows.

I'll try to explain a couple of flows I have so u can understand the issues.

I have flows that set things off, depending what I'm watching, that means 1 for TV(includes cablebox), 1 for movies (includes schield), one for tv shows, and one for music (music gets cast to my nvidea shield trough spotivy). 

If I want to stop watching. I'll say: alexa stop "TV" of turn "TV" off. If watching a show trough kodi on my shield I'll say stop or turn "TV show" off.  (Some flows trigger lights aswell)

The problem I'm having when I switch it leaves the VD on. So I can't activate it again. But if I turn the VD off, won't it just set the other flow in motion, and turn everything off right after?

I can solve this by naming the trigges tv on and tv off. But then ill have to say turn tv on on, and tv off off. That's not really what I'm looking for.. How do you guys do it? Do you use 1 flow to turn the whole HiFi system off? Something unique like: "HiFi" off?

One extra question. Do you pause Spotify when switching flows form music to movies on the same system? Or does is do that automicly? Even when staying an my shield but just changing lights?

That's alot for taking the time I. Reading this. Looking forward for an awnser.

Greetings Ron.
    I'm a similar situation.

How can I keep the VD in sync with the actual state of the device without getting in a loop of triggers.

Btw. is it true that Virtual Devices from the type BUTTON are not supported by Alexa?