This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Connecting Philips Hue directly to Homey (zigbee)

christian1122christian1122 Member
edited March 2018 in Devices
so i just bought a philips hue light
i tried to pair it to homey and it tells me that it cannot find a philips hue bridge.
philips hue is using zigbee and zigbee is supported by homey. why would i still need the bridge?
what is even the point of homey if i still need to buy a bridges for all my domotica?
this makes everything a lot more complicated and expensive and i bought homey for the exact opposite reason.

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited September 2017
    so i just bought a philips hue light
    i tried to pair it to homey and it tells me that it cannot find a philips hue bridge.
    philips hue is using zigbee and zigbee is supported by homey. why would i still need the bridge?
    what is even the point of homey if i still need to buy a bridges for all my domotica?
    this makes everything a lot more complicated and expensive and i bought homey for the exact opposite reason.
    Before you can use a device you need an app installed.  This app tells Homey what kind of device will be paired and what the capabilities are of this device, this is needed because every company can make his own definition next to the default.

For Philips there is no direct Zigbee app (yet) so you can only use Philips Hue with the Hue app and the bridge.  I know there is a Hue app (without bridge) in alpha at this moment made by a user / developer from the community

Edit:
    Found the link, you can find the alpha app here https://github.com/rogro82/com.hue.zigbee but you need to sideload / install the app by CLI (manual) because it's not yet in the app store and read the how to because reset a Hue light can be difficult before you can pair it to something else then the Hue bridge
  • There should at least be a list of brands where you (don't) need a bridge so you won't be disappointed when you spend a few hundred bucks on something only to realize you need to spent another 100 bucks before you can use it
    edited September 2017
    There should at least be a list of brands where you (don't) need a bridge so you won't be disappointed when you spend a few hundred bucks on something only to realize you need to spent another 100 bucks before you can use it
    That's all on the website and listed on every app page, take a look for example at other Zigbee/Z-wave/433 apps on the app store or the Philips Hue app itself where is listed wich device is supported (the Philips app also has this note on the app page -> This app adds support for all Philips Hue lights that work with the Philips Hue Bridge.)  For example on the Ikea app you can see wich Zigbee devices can be connected directly to Homey

A little investigation before buying something a few hundred bucks is the least that can be done
  • christian1122christian1122 Member
    edited September 2017
    There should at least be a list of brands where you (don't) need a bridge so you won't be disappointed when you spend a few hundred bucks on something only to realize you need to spent another 100 bucks before you can use it
    That's all on the website and listed on every app page, take a look for example at other Zigbee/Z-wave/433 apps on the app store or the Philips Hue app itself where is listed wich device is supported (has this note the app page -> This app adds support for all Philips Hue lights that work with the Philips Hue Bridge.)  For example on the Ikea app you can see wich Zigbee devices can be connected directly to Homey

A little investigation before buying something a few hundred bucks is the least that can be done
    it only says "adds support for all Philips Hue lights that work with the Philips Hue Bridge"
    I was thinking that meant that only those lights would work because those support zigbee and philips lights that dont work with a bridge dont support ziggbee so they dont work with homey. it says that it is compatible with Philips Hue Bridge lights. it does not say that the bridge is a requirement. that is at least not how i read it.

PS. the Philip hue bridge isn't even on the list of compatible devices for some reason
  • There should at least be a list of brands where you (don't) need a bridge so you won't be disappointed when you spend a few hundred bucks on something only to realize you need to spent another 100 bucks before you can use it
    That's all on the website and listed on every app page, take a look for example at other Zigbee/Z-wave/433 apps on the app store or the Philips Hue app itself where is listed wich device is supported (has this note the app page -> This app adds support for all Philips Hue lights that work with the Philips Hue Bridge.)  For example on the Ikea app you can see wich Zigbee devices can be connected directly to Homey

it only says "adds support for all Philips Hue lights that work with the Philips Hue Bridge"
    I was thinking that meant that only those lights would work because those support zigbee and philips lights that dont work with a bridge dont support ziggbee so they dont work with homey. it says that it is compatible with Philips Hue Bridge lights. it does not say that the bridge is a requirement. that is at least not how i read it.

PS. the Philip hue bridge isn't even on the list of compatible devices for some reason
    Hue bridge is the way to connect, it's the "bridge"and not a real connected device to Homey so that's why it's not listed. The Homey app just uses the API (by internet) like other apps/tools also use (hue disco app, Alexa etc).
  • I noticed the new Philips Hue app is now quite mature, serving a lot of Hue lights types. I'm interested to find out what the experiences are using the app without the bridge. 
  • i too! 
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited November 2017
    If the bulbs have been used with a bridge prior to connecting them directly to Homey. You will need to reset the bulb with the Philips Hue bridge before being able to add them. You can also reset the bulb with a Philips Hue Remote (8718696743157). which is the main issue with HUE Zigbee at the moment as far as I know...
  • Why is it an issue with the remote?
  • Tried to reset a hue bulb from my bridge this morning, with no succes at first.... After all it was very easy, and now I have my Hue bulb connected directly to Homey.

I thought that a Lutron Hue remote was mandatory, but an old Lightlink remote does also work.

How-to:
    I removed my hue light from the bridge via the iOS app. Then take the remote, turn on the power of the specific light and press the on and one dot button on the remote simultaneously. The bulb has been reset and is now pairable with Homey.
  • McVitMcVit Member
    edited December 2017
    Iam sitting at the this very moment as i am writing this trying to remove my Hue bridge from the equation but i cant seem to find the lights after i deleted them in the Hue android app.

If i try to find them again via the philips hue app they appear but not when i try to find them useing the philips hue zigbee app.

Unfortunately i dont have the Hue Remote to do as Skortpion did above, any suggestions?

would the lampsr resett aswell if i do a factory resett of the Hue Bridge?

• @McVit All hue lights should get reset when you reset the Hue bridge. I used the remote for one light because I didn’t want to reset my bridge because I would lose all my scenes that I use for the other lights that I don’t want to connect to Homey yet.
  • Is deleting the hue lamp from bridge in the android app enough to get it paired to homey directly. I tried it with a hue bloom, but can get it paired with homey.  (Don't have a hue remote )
  • mbalik79 said:
    Is deleting the hue lamp from bridge in the android app enough to get it paired to homey directly. I tried it with a hue bloom, but can get it paired with homey.  (Don't have a hue remote )
    No, the light has to be reset also. This can only be done with a Hue remote or by resetting the entire Hue bridge. (Then you lose all settings and all connected lights ofcourse).
  • mbalik79mbalik79 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Skorpion thanks for you're answer. Gonna try to reset de hub tonight..

One more question. Do I first need to delete all the bulbs in the app and after that a bridge reset? Or is a bridge reset also working
  • @mbalik79 A reset of the bridge has to be sufficient.
  • @Skorpion will try it when it's daylight because otherwise if it would not work I'm sitting in the dark ;)
  • Is it possible to have the bridge control a set of Hue lamps (my current situation) *and* also have a new Hue white bulb directly connected to Homey? 

I want to keep my bridge for the time being, but need to extend the Zigbee mesh. An extra white bulb would be a simple and cheap way to do that.
  • Eternity said:
    Is it possible to have the bridge control a set of Hue lamps (my current situation) *and* also have a new Hue white bulb directly connected to Homey? 

I want to keep my bridge for the time being, but need to extend the Zigbee mesh. An extra white bulb would be a simple and cheap way to do that.
    Yes but you will need two apps, one app for the hue lights by the bridge app and one app for the direct zigbee bulb
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the quick response @lubbertkramer. No problem with 2 Apps. Great to learn this can work. 
  • Eternity said:
    Thanks for the quick response @lubbertkramer. No problem with 2 Apps. Great to learn this can work. 
    Don't forget you are creating two zigbee mesh, don't know if this can give problems if they are both on the same channel. I know you can change the Hue bridge zigbee channel, Homey can't be changed
  • Oh, that might cause problems.

I want to extend the Zigbee mesh for my Xiaomi door sensors. These are battery powered and would benefit from an extra repeater. 

Another solution would be to finally automate my bedroom curtains with a Xiaomi Zigbee curtain rail...

Perhaps that is the best solution. 
  • @Skorpion
    I did a reset on bridge today (button on the bottom), but still cannot find any hue light directly by homey? 
    What can I do else...?
  • mbalik79 said:
    @Skorpion
    I did a reset on bridge today (button on the bottom), but still cannot find any hue light directly by homey? 
    What can I do else...?
    Did you turn off and directly turn on the power of the specific light?
  • mbalik79mbalik79 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Skorpion ;
     Yes i did. Zigbee chip is working, because my ikea lights are working (have the Gen1 bridge btw)

Just restarted homey, but no luck  :(

• I've just read the following wiki: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Reset_Philips_Hue_Bulbs. I don't have a remote and found a way to reset individual bulbs. Haven't had the time to actually perform the procedure. 
  • @tlangelaar thanks..gonna try the link.. when I am at home..
  • @tlangelaar
    Just tried the link you gave, it resets the light. But still cannot pair it with homey.. So think it has someting to do with the hue zigbee app
    edited March 2018
    mbalik79 said:
    @tlangelaar
    Just tried the link you gave, it resets the light. But still cannot pair it with homey.. So think it has someting to do with the hue zigbee app
    Then the reset isn't complete, here had to do it several times before i could add them to Homey (it's a Philips thing, that's why Athom didn't made the app yet because it's not user friendly at the moment) but several bulbs (e27) and strips are working fine here directly connected with Homey with the Hue zigbee community app

Strip

Bulb
  • @lubbertkramer
    I was trying it with the hue bloom. Saw in the app description that it was an untested device, so don't know if it is a app problem or a bulb reset problem. Have only a couple of bloom's and gu10's all are untested..
    I will try it again...