This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[Published] Simple LOG (2.1.0)

nklerknklerk Member
edited April 2018 in Apps
Hi All,

I'm happy to share this super simple text logging app. Have fun!
Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks nklerk. Logging works as expected, only clear does'nt function.

Maybe in a later release you can build in a possibility to write the log data to a .txt file? 
  • Nice app,  thanks 

Don't know how hard or if it's possible to make a mobil card that show the lates 5 lines 

Thanks 
  • CorvdNiet said:
    Thanks nklerk. Logging works as expected, only clear does'nt function.

Maybe in a later release you can build in a possibility to write the log data to a .txt file? 
    I can't find anything wrong with the clear button. could you do some additional testing? are u using the homey desktop app?

I'm looking into a way to download the text file. great idea!
  • djesko said:
    Nice app,  thanks 

Don't know how hard or if it's possible to make a mobil card that show the lates 5 lines 

Thanks 
    i don't know either but i can have a look. would be a nice addition.
  • I just updated the app on github with a fix for the clear log, and added an action card to clear the log with a flow.
    Haven't spend time to add a mobile card yet. looking into the possibilities.
  • nklerk said:
    I just updated the app on github with a fix for the clear log, and added an action card to clear the log with a flow.
    Haven't spend time to add a mobile card yet. looking into the possibilities.
    Great. Thnx
  • 0.0.4 is submitted for approval
  • JBSJBS Member
    Nice simple app. Any change to add date/time to a log record?
  • jovinkjovink Member
    You can drag a time/date tag to the log flow card. 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    jovink said:
    You can drag a time/date tag to the log flow card. 
    This is indeed the way to go. I thought of including something like that but chose not to. With the tags you are able to format your logging to your needs.
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi Niels, 
    Thanks for your App, I like it!
    That is, I have some Brain twists.
    I say: as many people, as many preferences and use cases.

I am used to add to a logfile, not to the top
    (although Window Event viewer uses newest on top an I wil never change that)
    And every card I was struggeling to get two Tags in it. [Date] [Time] and having a space before or to many spaces between...

So I updated your App, it is on My Github, Would you like a Pull request and are you willing to publish it?
    I guess there are more Homey users with the Brain twists i have ;-) 

Proposed for Version 0.0.6
    * Added Timestamping option (New Card) and option in Settings to Append (reverse) Logging
    * Timestamping Logs in the form of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM.ss [LogText]
  • that would be nice,allthough with adding the two tags works,i have several cards here that will produce a good logging but i must say it is always "een gepiel" especially if you have also text in your cards,i always put in first the tags and then the text
  • @nklerk,

Do you like to add the proposed options like (optional) timestamping  and some cards log management?
    I will be happy to contribute to the code! (although you are probably a better coder than I am ;-) )

Or do you prefer to keep Simple Log as simple as possible?
  • zimbrazimbra Member
    Great app!
    Any updates planned? Would be great to save the log file on dropbox for example and to have a mobile card like someone already mentioned.
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited August 2017
    @nklerk  latest version Simple LOG v1.0.0:
    the time is from [date]  not from [date_human] , difference is 2 hours

05-08-2017  ||  10:13:54  ||  05-08-2017 12:13 Homey zei: 
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:50  ||  05-08-2017 12:00 Homey zei: het is: 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:40  ||  +40 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:30  ||  +30 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:20  ||  +20 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:10  ||  +10 11:59
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:00  ||  +00 11:59 Elk uur
  • JPe said:
    @nklerk  latest version Simple LOG v1.0.0:
    the time is from [date]  not from [date_human] , difference is 2 hours

05-08-2017  ||  10:13:54  ||  05-08-2017 12:13 Homey zei: 
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:50  ||  05-08-2017 12:00 Homey zei: het is: 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:40  ||  +40 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:30  ||  +30 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:20  ||  +20 12:00
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:10  ||  +10 11:59
    05-08-2017  ||  10:00:00  ||  +00 11:59 Elk uur
    I'm looking for a solution, the time is taken from the system (so actual system time). i probably need to do something with localisation i guess. but i haven't found a real solution yet.
    Adding just 2 hours will not be a real solution. Also using the homey <TIME> Tag will not be a real solution as that one is always running behind (as you can see in your example).

I'm working on a solution, but have no idear yet how to solve it yet. If anyone has a bright idea then let me know ;-)
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited August 2017
    @nklerk   no problem for me, already glad that I see "real" seconds now, I was experimenting with a speaking clock, using the card "Every Hour" and I see that the "TAG" time is mostly 30 seconds or more behind the trigger.
    Good luck searching, maybe a question to the guys on Slack? Like the App very much. 

• It should be solved for quite some time now. just wanted to share.
  • Any way to have the system (or a flow) delete logs older than say 21 days, or another preset value.
    But great app.
    Andrew
  • Anyone knows 'airtable'?
    It would be great if you can log to this online table, looks like a google spreadsheet but with an API.
  • Any way to have the system (or a flow) delete logs older than say 21 days, or another preset value.
    But great app.
    Andrew
    That’s something I’ll definitly add
  • Hi @nklerk, thanks for this app! I like it more than Paper Trails, because it has an export to CSV function. But would it be possible for you to add an option to use columns in the log? that would be great when exporting tot CSV.

For example when I use IFTTT to write something to a gsheet (excel) i can use ||| to place data in an other column.
  • Hi, when i export to a csv file there is a collom called 'group' and has a value 'undefined'

How can i set this group when i add something to the log using the cards?
  • B3rt said:
    Hi, when i export to a csv file there is a collom called 'group' and has a value 'undefined'

How can i set this group when i add something to the log using the cards?
    Good find ;-)

In a future version you should be able to set a group text field and the logging. The generated CSV already has this build into the code. Setting the group value will be possible in the future.
  • B3rtB3rt Member
    edited February 2018
    Thx!

I do also have a suggestion.
    Is it maybe possible to increase the font size of the log output in settings menu? 
    When i now look at the log (using the desktop app) the font size is very small, it would be appreciated if the font size was a little bit higher/larger.

Thx!
  • B3rt said:
    Thx!

Is it maybe possible to increase the font size of the log output in settings menu? 
    When i now look at the log (using the app) the font size is very small, it would be appreciated if the font size was a little bit higher/larger.

Thx!
    I agree, the old fontsize was better to read for an older guy like me B)  o:)
    I would also be appreciate the possibiity to set a period to clean automatic the memory after that moment. So memory will not overflow at the end.
  • ARJARJ Member
    Is it possible that Homey can read the last x (e.q. 10) messages in the log when I ask him/her?
  • ARJ said:
    Is it possible that Homey can read the last x (e.q. 10) messages in the log when I ask him/her?

It is something I can include in the coming builds.

• canedje said:
    B3rt said:
    Thx!

When i now look at the log (using the app) the font size is very small, it would be appreciated if the font size was a little bit higher/larger.

Thx!
    I agree, the old fontsize was better to read for an older guy like me B)  o:)
    I would also be appreciate the possibiity to set a period to clean automatic the memory after that moment. So memory will not overflow at the end.
    It will definitely be a change in the coming version. I still have to start though

• I have made changes to the fontsize, let me know what you guys think about it.