This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Flows

[Req] Flow card "Contact Open OR Closed"

Apologies if this is in the from subforum, but because it relates to multiple Apps I thought this forum would be the best option

My request to the app developers for the hardware is to include a "Open OR Closed" flow card 
This would allow us to use the "Else" part of a flow cutting down the needed flows by 50% 
e.g; 
IF "Door Open" THEN   "Send Notification "Door Open""
IF "Door Closed" THEN  "Send Notification "Door Closed""

Would become: 
IF "Door Open or Closed" AND Door Open THEN  Send Notification "Door Open" ELSE Send Notification "Door Closed"

Tagged:

Comments

• techniman said:
    Apologies if this is in the from subforum, but because it relates to multiple Apps I thought this forum would be the best option

My request to the app developers for the hardware is to include a "Open OR Closed" flow card 
    This would allow us to use the "Else" part of a flow cutting down the needed flows by 50% 
    e.g; 

Would become: 
    IF "Door Open or Closed" AND Door Open THEN  Send Notification "Door Open" ELSE Send Notification "Door Closed"

Good idea, but i guess it's better to request this at the githib's of the community or athom apps because not all developers monitor this forum just like Athom doesn't monitor it but they control several apps where this should be added
  • Or it coule be a generic card. "An alarm changed state" like we have "an alarm turned off" and "an alarm turned on" now.

• technimantechniman Member
    edited March 2018
    techniman said:

e.g; 

Would become: 

Good idea, but i guess it's better to request this at the githib's of the community or athom apps because not all developers monitor this forum just like Athom doesn't monitor it but they control several apps where this should be added
    Yeah, I thought of adding it to the different githubs but thought the forum might get more exposure

-=edit=-
    Added it to two of the githubs for the apps that I use and one developer commented this would be a generic request for Athom, so also added it that queue
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/2296

• JPeJPe Member
    edited March 2018

Fibaro binary sensor has this already, I use this with a reed-switch and a magnet for detecting open/close,
    agree this would be handy for many switches, but I think this has to be implemented per device, not as a "general card".
  • Thought so as well, however two of the developers mentioned that this is part of the generic "general" cards
  • If great developers say that , then it must be true.
    But athom also mentioned it would be beter to integrated it into the core so the default cards that a device get would also include these
  • techniman said:
    Thought so as well, however two of the developers mentioned that this is part of the generic "general" cards
    Well, let me as one of the suspects comment to explain our feedback....

There is a difference between generic “general” cards, generic “device” cards and custom “device” cards...

Device drivers use typically a set of generic capabilities, which include a set of generic “device” cards... example is the “alarm_contact” capability (for door window sensors), which have a set of generic “device” cards like “contact alarm activated”.

Main advantage is that the look and feel of all devices will be the same...

I do understand, support the request and see the option to significantly reduce the amount of flows!

But I don’t think it is wise to create a custom “device” card for the  Xiaomi app called “contact alarm changed” and that @mruiter will create in parallel a card for the Neo app called “door open or closed”...

Therefore I recommended to you to create an issue at Athom to implement this option by default in all capabilities (not only for alarm_contact); because a similar request is as valid for other (alarm) triggers like motion!

I’ll contribute to the issue on Github...
  • @TedTolboom
    Yes you are completley right, thanks for the rephrase sounds much better