This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Suggestion: Android TV support

I see several Trello Cards about support for smart TV's, but would an App for Android TV be a better idea?

Comments

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited January 2016
    Not all Smart TVs support Android TV. LG, for example, has its own WebOS, Samsung has its own Smart TV (and apparently a horrible API; see also the Public Timeline topic ( https://forum.athom.com/discussion/488/athoms-public-timeline-for-homey ) ).  So Android TV support would be nice for those brands that support it (Sony, Philips, ...), but useless for the others. That's why there are several different Trello Cards.
    On top of that, Android TV would only work with the newer models of the brands that use it. For example most Philips TVs from 2014 and earlier do not support Android TV...

• I'm not saying the should stop developing Apps for others TV's, but Android TV has the potential for a wider support of devices.
  • Well, you said "but would an App for Android TV be a better idea?", which more or less suggests that you would want to replace the existing Trello cards with one for Android TV. And that would definitely NOT be a good idea.

So... support for Android TV? Sure, that would be useful. But not "instead of" support for the various TV brands...
  • An Android TV app could not replace the features of a Samsung/LG/Philips App..... 
  • +1 for Android TV support! Hope Athom will add it to the Trello Timeline!
  • Why don't count on it? Emile didn't say they weren't going to support it.  They might add it to the list if you ask for it.
  • Well, the first post seems like asking it to me. And I second the request! ;)
  • Since I develop on Android for hobby I could develop something like this.
  • Well, the first post seems like asking it to me. And I second the request! ;)
    :wink: 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Yesterday we ordered an Sony Bravia KD-49X8309c, delivery is planned for next Monday. 
    I'm very curious to AndroidTV and if/how homey's supports it. 
  • Yesterday I've got my Bravia 809c. Android TV is working great. Really hope homey will support it.

Homey, open YouTube channel from Athom on tv please! :) 
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited January 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Yesterday we ordered an Sony Bravia KD-49X8309c, delivery is planned for next Monday. 
    I'm very curious to AndroidTV and if/how homey's supports it. 
    We own a Sony with Android TV too, and it's pretty good and we are very happy with it. Don't forget to download the TV Sideview app that gives some extra funtionality over the stock remote (or any remote, we use a Logitech Touch)

Btw, for anyone wanting Android TV support, please +1 on the topic title!
  • PetePete Member
    edited February 2016
    Awesome idea - Android TV support would complement Homey really well!

"Homey, show me an instruction video on how to make blueberry muffins"

"Homey, google 'Wikipedia list of House of Cards episodes' and put the results on the tv"

"Homey, mute yourself and show all voice notifications on the tv"
This discussion has been closed.