This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Beta

Speed in releases and development

I really think Homey looks like a gret product and it does fulfill my needs, however I would like to be sure that I invest in something "future proof" and what I have seen is that the development seems to be pretty slow with few releases. I would expect much more frequent releases from such company which I expect is utilizing modern development / release methodologies like Agile development and DevOps. Anyone that can ellaborate a bit around how software development is managed within Athom?
Tagged:

Comments

• You're not subscribed to experimental updates I guess? Far from slow development.... Especially when compared to other comparable products....
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    edited February 2018
    Just a few minutes ago a new stable version 1.5.6 was released.... That is within 2 hours of you opening this topic; how about speed :)
  • I really think Homey looks like a gret product and it does fulfill my needs, however I would like to be sure that I invest in something "future proof" and what I have seen is that the development seems to be pretty slow with few releases. I would expect much more frequent releases from such company which I expect is utilizing modern development / release methodologies like Agile development and DevOps. Anyone that can ellaborate a bit around how software development is managed within Athom?
    Agile as you already said but i would say if you're from the Netherlands visit a Athom meetup to talk with the devs about it, if you really want to know more you better contact support because this is a community forum where Athom itself is barely active
  • I really think Homey looks like a gret product and it does fulfill my needs, however I would like to be sure that I invest in something "future proof" and what I have seen is that the development seems to be pretty slow with few releases. I would expect much more frequent releases from such company which I expect is utilizing modern development / release methodologies like Agile development and DevOps. Anyone that can ellaborate a bit around how software development is managed within Athom?
    I think there have been a lot of improvements, and a lot of cool stuff is just "around the corner". The new app looks promising and they did not hesitate long to take difficult, but good steps (I am aiming at the step to stop with the current Software Development Kit (SDK) in favor of a new, better SDKv2). There are regular improvements and Athom often creates new apps.

The hardware, and software, supports a lot of protocols and more to come (Bluetooth). And with integrations from Athom and the community, there now is a wide range of support for Apple Homekit and other speech products such as Alexa.

In my opinion, this is one of the best products/projects I've ever invested in.