This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Zigbee

Cannot add zigbee router (either trådfri or hue)

mehtamehta Member
edited February 2018 in Questions & Help
As the title says I cannot add zigbee routers in form of bulbs. I am in desperate need to add these because I have a lot of zigbee end-devices which cannot be connected to Homey otherwise. See here:
https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/2160

First I tried to add trådfri bulbs but after trying 8 different bulbs of various variants I finally gave up on trådfri. Yes I have reset and yes I have toggled with remote and everything. It does not work for the life of me.

So I moved on to a more trustworthy alternative which is Hue, I figured. The app I am using is:
https://apps.athom.com/app/com.philips.hue.zigbee
I am able to add the remote really easy but the bulbs are not adding. I have tried once again everything I could gather from the forums and instructions. It does not work.

After failing to add a router for the past 2 months, I am losing hope that my Homey may not be able to add a zigbee router because of some hardware issues. Does anybody know how the process looks like to find out if it is a hardware problem and then how Athom handle these situations.

And yes I am using the latest version of 1.5.6
Tagged:

Comments

• mehta said:
    As the title says I cannot add zigbee routers in form of bulbs. I am in desperate need to add these because I have a lot of zigbee end-devices which cannot be connected to Homey otherwise. See here:
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/2160

First I tried to add trådfri bulbs but after trying 8 different bulbs of various variants I finally gave up on trådfri. Yes I have reset and yes I have toggled with remote and everything. It does not work for the life of me.

So I moved on to a more trustworthy alternative which is Hue, I figured. The app I am using is:
    https://apps.athom.com/app/com.philips.hue.zigbee
    I am able to add the remote really easy but the end devices are not adding. I have tried once again everything I could gather from the forums and instructions. It does not work.

After failing to add a router for the past 2 months, I am losing hope that my Homey may not be able to add a zigbee router because of some hardware issues. Does anybody know how the process looks like to find out if it is a hardware problem and then how Athom handle these situations.

And yes I am using the latest stable version of 1.5.6
    To start with, 1.5.6 is not yet stable but it's experimental (see firmware.athom.com) don't mix those things up :) 

About your Hue lights, where your Hue lights added to the Hue bridge at first in that case you need to reset them, it's a buggy thing wich is needed to connect them to another controller then Hue bridge (see the app description)

For the Ikea lights, there is a generic topic already about those lights, many including me have several ikea lights connected so maybe you are to far out of range, the lamp needs to be updated first with the ikea bridge or there is another problem. Most solutions can be found in the generic topic

• mehtamehta Member
    edited February 2018
    To start with, 1.5.6 is not yet stable but it's experimental (see firmware.athom.com) don't mix those things up :) 
    Jumped the gun there. Edited the first post.

About your Hue lights, where your Hue lights added to the Hue bridge at first in that case you need to reset them, it's a buggy thing wich is needed to connect them to another controller then Hue bridge (see the app description)

They where connected to the bridge first and then I reset them with the remote as explained in the app description. It did not work.

For the Ikea lights, there is a generic topic already about those lights, many including me have several ikea lights connected so maybe you are to far out of range, the lamp needs to be updated first with the ikea bridge or there is another problem. Most solutions can be found in the generic topic

As stated in the original post, I have already gone through that thread. My bulbs have been in close proximity to the homey. They have at times been resting on the Homey even. Literally! They have also been updated to the latest firmware through the Ikea GW. I have gone through the solutions. Nothing works for me.

Honestly I don't think that I am in the wrong here. I have added tons of other devices without any problem. I seriously think I have a hardware problem so question is how to verify it. I've been sitting like a duck here with tons of HA stuff and I cannot implement them because of this problem. It is very frustrating.
  • you said: " I have toggled with remote and everything"
    What do you mean with that? As far as I know you have to toggle with a switch and not a remote?
  • mehtamehta Member
    edited February 2018
    canedje said:
    you said: " I have toggled with remote and everything"
    What do you mean with that? As far as I know you have to toggle with a switch and not a remote?
    I've read both options in the forum. I have tried both on/off with a switch, but also with the remote.
  • Mehta,

When you switch the bulbs on/off 6 times (can also be 7 times) in a row, you should see them blink once. Only then you know that the bulb is reset and you can add it to Homey. Switching off means that you cut the power (so this can not be done by a remote !)
    Secondly, you have to pair 1 bulb at a time. So all other bulbs need to be off (no power to them). This is really important, otherwise it will not work.

I added 15 bulbs that way without any issue.
  • mehtamehta Member
    edited February 2018
    Mehta,

When you switch the bulbs on/off 6 times (can also be 7 times) in a row, you should see them blink once. Only then you know that the bulb is reset and you can add it to Homey. Switching off means that you cut the power (so this can not be done by a remote !)
    Secondly, you have to pair 1 bulb at a time. So all other bulbs need to be off (no power to them). This is really important, otherwise it will not work.

I added 15 bulbs that way without any issue.

I'm guessing you are referring to trådfri. Just to clear, the remote I was referring to was not for trådfri but for Hue.

Anyways. As stated above, I have tested a lot of Trådfri bulbs as well.
    1. I have done the reset hundred times it feels. 6-8 on/off and the flash has been visible so reset is successful but does not add anyway
    2. I have tried one bulb at the time. Meaning that only one bulb has been in a socket for each test

I honestly don't think I am doing something wrong and also it cannot be a problem with either hue or trådfri either. I have tried 8 different trådfri and 5 different hue. Nothing!
  • Bij Ikea zei men dat je lampen na batch nummer 1738 moet hebben, die hebben allemaal een software update gehad.
    De mijne hebben allemaal batchnummer 1740 (staat naast de barcode)

• Thanks. Checked that as well.

• Seriously what should I do and how do i come in contact with homey?
  • send a email support@athom.com  and see if thet can help you out 
  • mehta said:
    I've read both options in the forum. I have tried both on/off with a switch, but also with the remote.
    No use in using the remote to add the lights. U have to turn the bulb off power and with the remote ur not switching off the power. Before u contact Athom plz make sure u did the right thing.
  • mehta said:
    No use in using the remote to add the lights. U have to turn the bulb off power and with the remote ur not switching off the power. Before u contact Athom plz make sure u did the right thing.
    In the instructions it says that the remote can be used to reset the bulbs. I have done numerous tests with:
    1. Having the bulb (and only one bulb at the time) turned on and then click on add device and not doing anything until it says that it cannot find an zigbee divice
    2. Like above but try to do on and off a couple of times 
    3. Like 1. but try to reset with remote during device addition
    4. Do reset with remote and then click on ad device
    5. Have the bulb off and then the click on add device and then turn on and wait
    6. Like 5. but turn on and off several times

When I say add device I have tried the "philips hue zigbee" and the generic zigbee functions.

The above and combination of above I have tried with no luck. I will keep you posted on how Athom reacts to this.
  • mehtamehta Member
    edited March 2018
    After help from @Bram from Athom, the problem is now solved. I went down to 12 end-devices (more than that and it did not work for me) and I could start adding trådfri and hues. After that I could add more and more end-devices and now everything is working perfectly. I can add whatever zigbee device I want and I am currently at 30 zigbees in total. Thank you all for your contributions.