This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

offline after long power off

Homey was restarted after a long power off (more than 1 month)
and I am not on the site to do anything but eventually have it disconnected and connected again
Can anybody speculate on what happened to the recorded flows?
Will they be recovered upon connection to the Server?
Can I do anything from remote?
thanks a lot

Comments

• stepic7 said:
    Homey was restarted after a long power off (more than 1 month)
    and I am not on the site to do anything but eventually have it disconnected and connected again
    Can anybody speculate on what happened to the recorded flows?
    Will they be recovered upon connection to the Server?
    Can I do anything from remote?
    thanks a lot
    Is your Homey online now, so you can see the status? There is no backup/connection for flows external, everything is stored on your Homey. 
  • stepic7stepic7 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hello, thanks for answer
    as I said
    AND I am not on site so I cannot hardwire make any action on Homey

Therefore DO you mean that even if I later reconnect to the Server ALL the flows are LOST?

Do you mean that on Homey there is NO battery backup of memorized data?
    So that as soon as it's disconnected everything is lost?

thanks
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited February 2018
    stepic7 said:
    Hello, thanks for answer
    as I said
    AND I am not on site so I cannot hardwire make any action on Homey

Therefore DO you mean that even if I later reconnect to the Server ALL the flows are LOST?

Do you mean that on Homey there is NO battery backup of memorized data?
    So that as soon as it's disconnected everything is lost?

thanks
    Just calm down, as already said everything is stored on your Homey locally. Homey offline can mean 10000 things, just a loss of wifi connecction for example, just PTP (pull the power) and add it again when you are home. After you know more you can give us more information and we see if we can help, when you need the help of Athom you need to contact support, this is a community forum :) 
  • + you will only lose all data is you reset your homey manually with the reset procedure.
    It is just a small computer inside, with a type of ssd hard drive (to keep it not to technical)

An hard drive won't lose data because of a powerloss for 10's of years.

I think you are confusing ram memory (temporary data), with storage memory ("permanent" data).
  • that's what I wanted to know, thanks a lot
    however, partially in contradiction with your exaplanation:
    Upon reconnecting to power Homey is still offline although the wifi ssid and password did not change
    if this datum had been stored in a non volatile memory, like an SSD, it should have been automatically connected to wifi and therefore online upon powering
    unless the wifi data connection is stored elsewere

The problem is that we do not know the technical details and this is a flaw for a technical item
    I mean for example that when I buy a computer I want to know EVERYTHING of the hardware details
    to avoid to be partial I must admit it is not a flaw of Homey alone as almost all the controllers do not give technical details of the hardware features so one is forced to buy a black box
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited February 2018
    No, devices that don't remember their data without battery is from a long long time ago (at least 20), most, if not all, devices now use flash storage chips which remember their data without power.
    (don't start saying, but computer bios!, that is a totally different field and can not be compared, as in, for example, wifi settings are not stored on the bios)

So thinking devices lose their data now a days is just kinda weird.
    And should not to have to be mentioned anywhere.

And yes the same is for all settings which include wifi data. 
    If it not automatically reconnects to wifi after a long time might actually be a security measure.
    Or your homey is still in an firmware where reconnect didn't work properly.
    A lot has changed, though a month is not that long.

But if you want to know all, there are several pictures around with homey without its top dome where you can see all the chips used

And to reconnect you do a reset procedure with the option to keep data
    https://www.athom.com/en/support/KB000026/
  • thanks a lot for the explanation
    I will try asap and update the discussion
  • Everything OK
    Homey woke up to online without any action after 14 days of power off
    ALL flows are preserved as well as all sensors which are still acknowledged albeit some not alive being not powered by the 12Vdc line which is still in failure