This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Flic.io

Flic has a different approach to controlling devices (currently mainly focussed on smartdevices) then Homey has. But i think, together they can really complement each other. Flic is a smart button, which can be really usefull if you have a task that is recurring often, or is easier to just push a button rather than going through speech. Or even if it is in a location where you don't have a microphone and you just want a quick button. It is also wearable and has multiple actions (click, double-click and hold).

For example:

• Alarm snooze button on the side of your bed
  • Coming home/leaving home button at your door
  • On your (old school) washing machine, to trigger a reminder 2 hours later to hang your laundry
  • etc...

I just ran in to this project, so I have barely explored all the possibilities, but it instantly felt like it could potentially fill a gap in total home automation.

I have suggested the idea to make Flic compatible with Homey. If you feel it could add value as well, please leave a vote on:
http://ideas.flic.io/forums/283403-flic-ideas/suggestions/9686229-integration-with-homey-athom-com-for-home-automa

Also any suggestions on how you would use it are very welcome.

Comments

• Homey and Flic both support IFTTT. So integration must be easy.

• I like the idea, so voted via your link.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Apart from a design point of view where Flic looks good and portable, I think this should be possible with items currently available and which are (almost) for sure will work with Homey.

I e.g. have a Homewizard with a designated scene for all my lights in the living room. Although I can use the Homewizard app to turn the scene on, I programmed a simple KAKU-transmitter (which came with my dimmer set) to this scene in the Homewizard so I can turn on or turn off this scene (and have programmed different buttons to different scenes). Works like a charm, and is also easier for the wife & kids :-) As I understood from Emile this should also be possible with Homey.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    edited September 2015

Even better, we're using a cheap doorbell button for these kind of applications ;p

• I've also been thinking about this a lot, Since both Homey and Flic uses BT, I guess they could work if the two companies got into talks. I backed them way back on IGG, and I remember they talked about contacting them about integrating their API... but they don't seem to have an open API... So I guess it's just about communication between Athom and Shortcut Labs.

Totally agreed with Emile that a cheap 433 doorbell is a benefit in situations like this (and I'm definitely planning on doing the same) But I still do have those 5 flics preordered, and I hope I'll be able to put them to work with Homey too (especially when my girlfriend falls asleep, and I don't talk to talk and wake her up, or reach for my phone to go into the Homey app)!

• tommyjaytommyjay Member
    edited September 2015

One more thing @Emile, I know that Flic is able to communicate with Unified Remote, but I was pretty surprised (or even shocked) that I didn't find anything related to Unified Remote anywhere on the KS page, or in the forums... It seems like such a shame that you wouldn't support it, considering how many incredible options it opens up.

I know I'm a bit bias; I don't have a 'home media center' as many here have, I just plug in my macbook and play... But even thought this, I think linking up with Unified Remote would be an incredible set of new features!

• Well, I think it would really add value to both devices if Homey and Flic could connect directly and not through a phone. Pairing them together and configuring homey scenes on a flic button press.

• @CarlosAlfredoDiaz That would be awesome! yeah! BUT.... that would mean that the many people who ordered just one Flic would be kind of lost... I have 5 on the way, and plan to have one by my nightstand, one by my workspace, and it would definitely be a good idea. @Emile keeps mentioning using a 433mhz doorbell for a button to trigger Homey events, which I think is a great idea... BUT, many people got Flic because it just looks so much better! And they did talk about an open API, so I guess.... let someone with programming skills have a poke at it? I don't mind giving up one or two, or three or even all of them up to stay permanently at home, and be paired with Homey!

• I agree with you, of course I see value in using Flic's API and Homey's API and use the phone as an intermediary for many users BUT I also see much more potential in having the Flic's connect directly to a Homey, in the end, Homey is a Linux (i think or maybe BSD, not sure) device that uses a bluetooth stack so I would think that if Flic or Homey were to write a simple driver for Homey and a very simple Homey app it would open a host of opportunities, such as using Flics to control Hue Lights or any lights, to set up scenes, launch kodi, etc... without the need for a phone or voice message.

• Agreed! How do we get them to start working! :D

• If I have some time, Ill see if I read into it and do it myself during the summer (jan-feb).

• That's awesome @CarlosAlfredoDiaz!!! Can't wait, and I'm wishing you luck!! Btw Jan-Feb is still winter

• Winter in Europe, here in Argentina it's summer!

• Oh, right. Doh!

• Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys are starting on this :) 
    happy new years btw :)
  • Hey, I actually literally received my Flics yesterday! So I'll do some playing this weekend and then wait for homey to arrive. Luckily, with the change of gvmt un argentina custom restrictions hace been relaxed. Happy new year!
  • I have a few, Customs added one month to shipping for me in the CZ. Nevertheless, I have a few set up, and a few sitting there waiting. If only I could pair them with Homey, would be great. Still not fond of a 433mhz ugly doorbell  :#
  • I have sevral flic buttons.
    There perfect. Not realy cheap but good bluetooth reception, good quality and a confirm you pushed it light.

to use them with ifttt is not handy dany. that means you have to link your flic to phone and tru youre phone connect to ifttt

Homey has bluetoot so should be easy to implement if you can program i guess. 
    Command set is not realy big for just a button.

As mentioned i have sevral flics and a box of still unused flics.

I have no problem at all to send one to Athom or someone else that will create the app for some time.
    Give me a message
  • @mruiter that's really nice of you. Pulling for the team. I really appreciate that. 

For me (now that I think of it) there would be a workaround, because I have an android tablet that's permanently mounted as a IP Cam screen, so I could run the flic app in the background which would then talk to Homey through IFTTT, but again, this would be a workaround rather then a solution. I personally don't trust IFTTT too much (speedwise), plus I think implementing it (or adding Homey directly to the flic.io app/ adding Flic directly to Homey app) would be a much happier solution!
  • mruiter said:
    I have sevral flic buttons.
    There perfect. Not realy cheap but good bluetooth reception, good quality and a confirm you pushed it light.

to use them with ifttt is not handy dany. that means you have to link your flic to phone and tru youre phone connect to ifttt

Homey has bluetoot so should be easy to implement if you can program i guess. 
    Command set is not realy big for just a button.

As mentioned i have sevral flics and a box of still unused flics.

I have no problem at all to send one to Athom or someone else that will create the app for some time.
    Give me a message
  • @Emile , I can send you one of the buttons to program on/for it.

I thing such a basic bluetooth thingy should be one of the first to get support.
    I dont really see other bluetooth functionalitie mentioned anywhere for the bluetooth support in Homey

• Flic looks like a neat addition to Homey indeed. I will try and reach out to them to see if we can get their 'official' support. @mruiter, thanks a lot for your offer, much appreciated! In case the contact with Flic does not work out the way (or timeline) we have in mind, we are more than happy to tinker around with one of your units to look at the possibilities!
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016

@stefan Flic is posting messages everywhere that the would like to support who ever wants.

As a flic user you can also put a please support topic on there website and with enough votes they contact that brand.
    Homey has about 68 voice last time i checked last week.

If you reach out to them for the command set i guess you will get i right away.
    They did it the Indiegogo way and not on kickstarter.

The SDK's for android and ios are downloadable https://flic.io/partners/developers

I Guess most info can be found already at https://github.com/50ButtonsEach/fliclib-ios/tree/master/fliclib.framework/Headers

I guess bluetooth is bluetooth and has a basic button pushed command set. But i have no bluetooth knowledge for programming what so ever

If you guys would like to receive a button for dev let me know, ill send one over for the time you guys need to use is for dev

If you support it you would make my 5 year old son as happy as can be.
    He want a Flic button in its bed so he can push it and make the RGB Strip on top of his closet light up if he wakes up in the dark and is al little bit scared.

This would also make me a happy men so i don’t have to get out off bed twice a week around 3 or 4 a clock ;)

• @Stefan that's great news! I'm really happy that you want to try this. Just a heads up, they take about 2 weeks to reply to emails, just so you know. They have a pretty good product, but horrible support (from my own experience). I'd love to be able to let Homey & Flic communicate!
  • I always got a response within an day. Only beteeen christmas and newyear is took a few days.

did you ask nicely ?
    (i'm kidding offcourse)
  • For me the same experience, horrible service, waiting for more than a month to get the status of my Flics.  
  • You can also vote on the flic.io support at

http://ideas.flic.io/forums/283403-flic-ideas?query=homey

As we speak 68 votes. Please make this go up bgtime
  • Already voted, would be nice. Until that, I hold the buy
  • We are at 120 votes, come on everybody. Even if you dont have a flic plz vote for the world domination of homey....