This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Exit Strategy for Experimental

Can I recommend that Athom provide an exit strategy for Experimental Users.
Periodically, you will merge all stable and experimental versions at a key milestone. Then alert the user that they have the option to revert to the stable channel if they wish.

Comments

• The same actually applies to App store installs as well..
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited February 2018
    Why would an exit strategy be needed when experimental is beta and meant for developers or users with multiple Homey's that want to help Athom, it's a well made choice 

I don't think Athom needs to waste resources for a functionality like this because every one who is on experimental made a choice after accepting the warning 
  • I do agree you can expect broken things on experimental.
    But when you want to help test out some new feature, and after that want to revert back to stable it should be possible imho. 

Plus it makes sense to do that when (stable == experimental), just let the user revert to the other channel. Not sure how easy it is tho..
  • an option in the mean time is to disable auto-update on your homey and only update FW once it reaches stable
  • konradwalshkonradwalsh Member
    edited February 2018
    Why would an exit strategy be needed when experimental is beta and meant for developers or users with multiple Homey's that want to help Athom, it's a well made choice 

I don't think Athom needs to waste resources for a functionality like this because every one who is on experimental made a choice after accepting the warning 
    deleted
  • an option in the mean time is to disable auto-update on your homey and only update FW once it reaches stable
    Yes, this is a good suggestion.  I have been managing it this way too.
  • This brings me to another point @konradwalsh , it's actually way off topic and better handled in a DM to Lubbert himself.

Where Lubbert is actually giving his own opinion, so the rant isn't fair imho.
    Like i said lets keep this on-topic! :smile:

Can't seem to find any GitHub issues on the topic (i actually thought there was one).
    So maybe you can ask there and see how Athom responds.
  • swttt said:
    This brings me to another point @konradwalsh , it's actually way off topic and better handled in a DM to Lubbert himself.

Can't seem to find any GitHub issues on the topic (i actually thought there was one).
    I agree

and

I agree
    edited February 2018
    swttt said:
    This brings me to another point @konradwalsh , it's actually way off topic and better handled in a DM to Lubbert himself.

I agree

and

I agree
    But as @swttt said that's my opinion just like the forum rules state that requests at Athom need to be made at Github and that they won't monitor the forum for requests. So when you really want to come back on your own choice to run experimental software even after the warning wich warned that you can't revert you need to open up a issue. I guess that's the mature world where you are responsible for your own choices wich i hope you make them well thought out. Running experimental in a production environment (your home) can give unexpected behavior

I stay with my point in other words my opinion (i don't make the prio list for the Athom team :) ) that using resources of Athom that could be used to make Homey even better instead of wasting time on things because users don't read the warning (same reason why experimental now is hidden @ the devtools). Nobody forces people to run experimental, when you want the new fancy features / hardware activated as first or just because you see/think that something is more stable you know what can happen. Here my DP Homey was offline last week for two days because of a RC release (reason why you guys didn't got rc9/rc10), i know that in front that that can happen so i made sure i have multiple Homey's :) 
  • waste of time trying to explain that to you then
    edited February 2018
    waste of time trying to explain that to you then
    No waste of time, forum is for discussion and opinions that's what i posted (my opinion) wich you don't like and that's why you think its a waste of time. If you didn't want a discussion you should have read the forum rules wich stated that you need to open up a github issue if you want to make a request at the Athom team. Now this topic is open for everyone to fill in just like the ideas posted above how you can mange being on experimental and only update at stable releases

Edit:
    This is the idea section but Athom isn't monitoring it because they made this a community forum instead of a Athom forum. That's why Athom wants users to use Github for issues/feature requests. So it's more a discussion place where you can discuss and share opinions and open up a issue wich users can +1
  • Can I recommend that Athom provide an exit strategy for Experimental Users.
    Periodically, you will merge all stable and experimental versions at a key milestone. Then alert the user that they have the option to revert to the stable channel if they wish.
    I actually thought this was already the case, so definitely agree. Did someone already create an issue for this? 
  • Can I recommend that Athom provide an exit strategy for Experimental Users.
    I agree. Good Idea!
    Now if you choose once, you will be stuck by your choice for ever. Or you must bring back Homey to factory settings.
    I don't like these option.

I can't find an issue made, but maybe I didn't look that good