This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Strip an App => remove devices within an App to free Homey memory

EternityEternity Member
edited January 2018 in Questions & Help
Is it possible to strip/delete unneeded components from an App and install the lightweight version via CLI?

I have only 2 KaKu devices but the App is capable of controlling a huge library of devices. Same with Fibaro and Aeotec Apps. I only have a couple of devices, but these Apps install a huge amount of not needed devices. 

I was just thinking of a way to clear memory.... 

Comments

• That should be possible as long as you know what you're doing. However, I don't think it will make much of a difference. The signals are encoded in the drivers/<devicename>/ file and are approximately 5 KB each. So before it makes a difference, you would have to delete a LOT of files.

And ofcourse, you'd have to repeat that after every update that you want to install.
  • Thanks @jorden!

As updates to Apps often are to increase the amount of controlleable devices, it might even mean that i don't need the latest updates :-) But, if the result is only tiny memory gain, I think it is too much hassle... :-(

• Eternity said:
    Thanks @jorden!

As updates to Apps often are to increase the amount of controlleable devices, it might even mean that i don't need the latest updates :-) But, if the result is only tiny memory gain, I think it is too much hassle... :-(

But are you meaning memory or storage. I think that bought are minimal with what you can gain by removing drivers out of the app 
  • Don't forget about missing future updates on drivers you do use (since stripping them, you will need to sideload it)
  • Well, seems it was a great idea, for a short while :-)

Thanks for the comments, I will stay on the 'standard' Apps.