This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Official

Homey v1.5.X - Stable

Comments

• DrDoom said:
    Hi all, relatively new to this forum. Can somebody point me in the right direction as to where I can find the planning for new stable releases? The last couple of weeks the Software Status thread only talks about experimental releases.
    I am waiting for at least 1.5.4 so I can use my Xiaomi Mi Zigbee stuff....
    I just came to ask the same thing... for the same reason...

It seems there is only one way to turn on experimental updates (a tick box) so surely there is only room for one experimental update and you'll just get the latest one?

If so, why are there now two experimental updates - surely the first one should be made stable or killed as nobody is going to get that now?

• Experimental is 1.5.6rc7 atm. 1.5.4 and 1.5.5 were indeed killed like you see on https://firmware.athom.com/

• I guess you spoiled us when going from from 1.5.0 to 1.5.3 stable in 20 days. :) That is was 3 months ago.
    Did something change in your 'way of working'? I can imagine the new app takes up a lot of dev time.
  • bvdbos said:
    Experimental is 1.5.6rc7 atm. 1.5.4 and 1.5.5 were indeed killed like you see on https://firmware.athom.com/

1.5.4 doesnt say revoked?
    In fact - I see 3 experimental live updates there... 1.5.4 and 1.5.6 rc 6 & 7

If I wanted to get 1.5.4 it would seemingly be impossible as I get no choice over what I can and can't get, just experimental or not...
  • Indeed strange to see 1.5.3 is stable and we are at 1.5.6 rc 6 & 7 experimental.
    You do expect at least 1.5.4 or 1.5.5 as stable?
  • canedje said:
    Indeed strange to see 1.5.3 is stable and we are at 1.5.6 rc 6 & 7 experimental.
    You do expect at least 1.5.4 or 1.5.5 as stable?
    1.5.4 has been skipped fast and 1.5.5 has been revoked as stated on the firmware page and as can be read below. Athom is working hard to bring 1.5.6 to stable as soon as possible but there is not a hard deadline or date. 

1.5.5 experimental

• [ZigBee] Fixed an issue that could cause devices to become uncontrollable
    • [SDKv2] Fixed an issue that could cause Z-Wave devices to appear offline
    • [Z-Wave] Stability improvements
    • [Z-Wave] Add firmware ID to device settings
    • [Z-Wave] Unreachable unknown nodes are now automatically removed
    • [Z-Wave] Add support for associationGroupsMultiChannel property
    • [Other] Various minor fixes and improvements

Note: this update is not available for download anymore due to a bug in the updater. The next update has resolved this issue and is currently in testing.

• @canedje @vaderag

There is no problem providing you a less stable 1.5.4. .5 or .6 than the stable 1.5.3 you now have... 
    (just one tickbox. called Experimental, no way back!) 

But I guess not everyone think that way.

Good news, they didn't stop developing new features they added in the higher numbers. 

You just choose:
    - Get less stable updates  (.4 and .5 ) where they didn't manage to fix some new or existing Issues. 
    - ask the developers that work on other new features to stop, they wont get released and cant be tested by the DP channel or Experimental until all old issues are fixed. (Loose valuable time )
    - ask Athom to stop updating the minor number as you are confused about it..... think about it as you still have to wait but we are at 1.5.4.rc34  (fool you) 

I hope they keep it the way it is now, if a new minor is released to the more width tested Experimental channel and not stable enough to deploy to the majority users on stable, it isn't released to stable and they still increment the version and continue development and fixing issues.
    (or did I mis an other better option?)
  • canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017
    Offcourse there is only a wish for a stable version.
    don’t missunderstood and i’m patient for waiting also.  o:)
    I do only point out that iT is strange to step from 1.5.3 straight to something like 1.5.6 or so. I’m not used to such a procedure you just do expect a step to 1.5.4.
    I like Homey and do see a lot of positive effort in developping so please don’t see this like an attack.
  • I guess all official information about the next stable version is presented in this thread?! 

I just received my Xiaomi Home sensors and I am very eager to have a go, but the question is, should I stick to the stable version and wait, or should I go for the experimental FW?! Well, no one else can decide, I know that. But if I chose to go with the experimental, are there no way back to the stable path?
  • Exile82Exile82 Member
    edited January 2018
    caseda said:
    Thank you caseda. Then there is a way to go back to stable. But what "settings and userdata" (that will be lost) are referred to? Insights are fine to lose. 
    I assume that all of the paired devices still are paired, and flows still exist?

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited January 2018
    Exile82 said:
    caseda said:
    Thank you caseda. Then there is a way to go back to stable. But what "settings and userdata" (that will be lost) are referred to? Insights are fine to lose. 
    I assume that all of the paired devices still are paired, and flows still exist?

No! Upgrading to 1.5.6 can't be restored to stable....normally you can but you lose all data/devices/flows so you have to connect and build everything like you first started but this time reverting from 1.5.6 to stable will give you a not working z-wave chip because this one get flashed with newer version in 1.5.6 and doesn't work with 1.5.3, so upgrading is no reverting this time....experimental for a reason :) 
  • Is it possible to install latest RC, then unclick / unsubscribe from beta channel releases and wait for the stable, future, version? Or will I need to do a factory reset when the stable version is released anyway?
    edited January 2018
    Torrfura said:
    Is it possible to install latest RC, then unclick / unsubscribe from beta channel releases and wait for the stable, future, version? Or will I need to do a factory reset when the stable version is released anyway?
    You will always remain on the experimental channel but with disabling auto update you can controll wich update you install, so yes then you can skip all the RC and just install every stable release.... but remember, you're still on the experimental branche so when activating auto update it will install the latest RC....no switching possible from experimental to stable without factory reset, it has been made this way for a reason
  • Thanks for all valuable input! Based on this, I decided wait for next stable version, even if it means that I need to move my new sensors to the storage room for some time.
    I don't mind running my stuff on experimental FWs, but since I currently have 1.5.3 it seems a bit cumbersome to find my way back.

Anyway, next stable release does not seem that far away...
    ...are there any guesstimations regarding when? 
    edited January 2018
    Exile82 said:
    Thanks for all valuable input! Based on this, I decided wait for next stable version, even if it means that I need to move my new sensors to the storage room for some time.
    I don't mind running my stuff on experimental FWs, but since I currently have 1.5.3 it seems a bit cumbersome to find my way back.

Anyway, next stable release does not seem that far away...
    ...are there any guesstimations regarding when? 
    Regarding that information  about new experimental / stable has been posted yesterday by athom ->   https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1430/software-status#latest
  • Hi.
    Yeah, I read that prior to posting actually. But that didn't gave me a firm answer. It was more or less the same information we got before Christmas. "Work is progressing and new stable will be released in the new year".
    That is fine, I accept that they cannot decide on a date. 
  • Don't get me wrong, I understand that pushing new stable firmware needs to take the time that is required, and I don't want to push the Athom team. But are there somewhat of a time plan för next stable?

In the news letter before Christmas, I got the impression that it was more or less ready, but they didn't want to push it before Christmas, risking to mess things up. Well, we are soon in week 5 of the new year. 
  • Exile82 said:
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that pushing new stable firmware needs to take the time that is required, and I don't want to push the Athom team. But are there somewhat of a time plan för next stable?

In the news letter before Christmas, I got the impression that it was more or less ready, but they didn't want to push it before Christmas, risking to mess things up. Well, we are soon in week 5 of the new year. 
    If you read the latest update you can read they wanted to push RC9 to DP (alpha) last week but they encountered some problems / bugs this week so RC9 didn't reach DP and Experimental. Software can't be planned accurate, you see that a lot of software/games get a delay at the last moment. I guess Athom will post more with the upcoming blog the are writing.
  • Sorry, I am a bit uncertain which update you are referring to. There are some threads here, a blog etc.
    Troubles  with the latest release candidate explains a lot though, then I understand the situation 
  • canedjecanedje Member
    edited February 2018
    I installed 1.5.6 I do have pairing trouble and devices not working any more.
    See GitHub: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/2238
    PAiring is more difficult then before. More attemps are needed by unpairing and pairing again

EDIT: I was confused missing the RC at the version number, so I thought it was a stable version.
    This topic had to be to the experimental chapter
  • Any idea when the 1.5.6 firmware will go from experimental to stable?
  • Sir_Ray said:
    Any idea when the 1.5.6 firmware will go from experimental to stable?
    Only Athom knows that answer, but i expect them not to release on friday so i guess it won't be this week but who knows if they suprise us
  • Every time I see a post on this thread a little part of me jumps with excitement only to be disappointed!! I have a whole bunch of ZigBee devices been sitting here since the September announcement that are sad they can't be used...
  • Same here!  :|
    But I in this case I don't think that taking the needed amount of time and effort to make a stable firmware is the problem. We all want stable firmware. I think it's releasing an app that does not work on available 'production'/stable firmware is what got atleast @vaderag and me frustrated. Seeing the app available in the store is what got me buying the Xiaomi Mi ZigBee stuff back in November. 
  • DrDoom said:
    Same here!  :|
    But I in this case I don't think that taking the needed amount of time and effort to make a stable firmware is the problem. We all want stable firmware. I think it's releasing an app that does not work on available 'production'/stable firmware is what got atleast @vaderag and me frustrated. Seeing the app available in the store is what got me buying the Xiaomi Mi ZigBee stuff back in November. 
    Yeah, agreed. I don't mind time being taken to get things stable.

That said, putting out press releases in September announcing ZigBee support when a) that was only to developers and beta testers and b) nearly 6 months later it's still not in stable is pretty bad form!
  • vaderag said:
    DrDoom said:
    Same here!  :|
    Yeah, agreed. I don't mind time being taken to get things stable.

That said, putting out press releases in September announcing ZigBee support when a) that was only to developers and beta testers and b) nearly 6 months later it's still not in stable is pretty bad form!
    Zigbee is already available to the public in a stable release, as 1.5.3. Only the extension for xiaomi is not yet available in public but Ikea/Hue can be connected to Homey at 1.5.3 so there is Zigbee support but not with all functions (yet)
  • vanochtend versie 1.5.6 gedownload. Hij staat nu al bijna een uur te installeren. Is dit normaal. De app op mijn iPhone werkt wel gewoon!!
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited February 2018
    fkooten said:
    vanochtend versie 1.5.6 gedownload. Hij staat nu al bijna een uur te installeren. Is dit normaal. De app op mijn iPhone werkt wel gewoon!!
    The download could take long as it is more than 240 MB. Your Homey spins blue then.
    After that the restart and flash starts with a purple  spin. And maybe a second restart and flash. That could take 20 to ... minutes. Until all firmware  parts are flashed. don't pull the plug while purple! 
    If that takes very long email support and try to send as much info you have. (Email, cloud id, fw you came from, duration) 

Btw 1.5.6 is still experimental, unless your Homey is factory delivered with it.
    Welcome in the Experimental channel!
  • The LED ring of Homey is blank is set by me. It did download and it flashers as you described. Since then no led signals. The app is still working well. I assume that the install is done but fails to conclude.
This discussion has been closed.