This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

"Smart" Master Switch with the ability to know if there are devices powered on

Hi all,

I have an MCO switch that I called it the master switch and it is "smart" in the way that it is powered on as long as any z-wave device is turned on. If all z-wave device is turned off, this switch is off as well. So, with this switch, I can power off everything with a single touch.

I do this by having a number variable (starts from 0) that increments every time a z wave device is power on, and decrement when the device is switched off.

By tracking the count, I can know if there are any switch that is on.

But by doing it this way, I have at least 1 flow for each z wave device to increment or decrement.

Anyone have done this or know of a smarter way to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• cbhcbh Member
    Hi,
    I'm not sure I understand your setup in details - perhaps you could elaborate a little?
    Is it a Boolean variable for each device that you flip in a flow when you turn something on/off?
    Or a single variable, that you add or subtract from when devices switch on/off?
    Perhaps you could post some examples of your flows?
  • LurendrejerLurendrejer Member
    edited January 2018
    I started out much like you - I've been around scripts, block flows, etc. (Look at the scripts thread)

I have a master switch, like you, with a build-in led that lights up if a light is on. I use zone-names to differentiate lights and others.

My all off flow has to be very slow moving in rc8, if not, then z-wave devices will not turn off in a stable manner.
  • cbh said:
    Hi,
    I'm not sure I understand your setup in details - perhaps you could elaborate a little?
    Is it a Boolean variable for each device that you flip in a flow when you turn something on/off?
    Or a single variable, that you add or subtract from when devices switch on/off?
    Perhaps you could post some examples of your flows?
    I think he plusses 1 if something goes on, and minuses 1 if something goes off. Eg, a numerical variable.
  • hi thanks for your replies.

yes, i have a numerical variable that starts with 0.

every z-wave switch in the house has a flow that +1 and a flow that -1 for on and off respectively.

with this numerical variable, if it is more than 0, my master switch will be lighted up. i can then press on it to turn off all devices (it is dumb, the flow just switches all off)

just wondering if there is a better way to do this because it has a lot of flows (every switch will have 2 flows at least)
  • Have you checked out the homeyscript thread? :)