This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Bluetooth 5.0 on the roadmap?

Bluetooth 5.0 will significantly improve Bluetooth usage for IoT by introducing mesh network capability.
Since it seems possible to upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0 (no hardware dependencies), is such an upgrade on the road map?

Comments

• Mecken said:
    Bluetooth 5.0 will significantly improve Bluetooth usage for IoT by introducing mesh network capability.
    Since it seems possible to upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0 (no hardware dependencies), is such an upgrade on the road map?

As mentioned above start with reading the forum rules and use the search function. Because this is a community forum official feature requests (like yours) or issues need to be reported at Github
  • Well, I am new to Homey and this forum and I am certainly not qualified to ask for a feature request.

But when reading about the mesh capability in Bluetooth 5.0 and the opportunities this will bring, I thought it was an interesting route that already was on the developers mind, so I just wanted the hear what they think of it.

And yes, I searched the forum but to my surprise nothing on Bluetooth 5.0 turned up.

Sorry if I broke any forum rule by asking.

• Bit harsh to respond like this to a valid question, isn't it?

Interesting question, I didn't know BT 5.0 was 'just' a software update!

I guess Athom will first have to fully implement a working BT solution before they will be thinking about upgrading it :)
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited January 2018
    Don't know where you read Bluetooth 4 to 5 is just an firmware update, as it is not, it is an entire new hardware chip.

If the chip is designed with Bluetooth 5 specifications in mind, then it is possible with a firmware update (see HTC U11 as example).
    But since homey is already from way before 5 was announced it has a 0% chance this will happen
  • JPeJPe Member
    As far as I know, BT4.2 also has mesh network capability.
  • OK, sorry my fault, probably read about HTC and draw wrong conclusion from that.
    So, we have to wait for a hardware change then.

Thanks for answering.