This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

MQTT doorbell

Hi

I have orderd a Homey, but as other people im still waiting on it.

However, i do have a doorbell that i have connected a ESP8266 chip to, this chip send a MQTT message to a MQTT server (Whould be the Homey device), Can i make a flow with MQTT on Homey that "if" myhome/doorbells/frontdoor7/ring is recived, it should take a snapshop from a camera and send that to the iOS app?

I would also like it to play a doorbell song on my Xiaomi hub?

Comments

• A little bit off topic. I also do have ESP8266 devices. I use these with a Rapberry Pi to send temp data but not using MQTT. But using my own TCP protocol. I like to have more knowledge about MQTT. (I don't know how to use it). Do you have a link or so showing me how you use MQTT in combination with ESP8266. If it not fitting in this topic, please feel free to do it with PB

I know Homey is having MQTTBroker and Client, so it must be possible to use MQTT with Homey.
    https://apps.athom.com/search?query=mqtt
  • @deedje
    With the MQTT client app you can create a trigger on a specific topic. That means if a message on that topic is received, that triggers activates a flow where you can specify actions that homey can do. 
  • Very good!

Then i should be able to get pretty much all my MQTT stuff to works, for execpten for maybe the temp sensors?
    I have some in places where I rather not wanna change batteries.

I also have an Android alarm panel, that i wanna build into my wall. I wanna use this one to alarm and disarm the alarm system. Should also not be any problem then?
  • deedje said:
    Very good!

Then i should be able to get pretty much all my MQTT stuff to works, for execpten for maybe the temp sensors?
    I have some in places where I rather not wanna change batteries.

I also have an Android alarm panel, that i wanna build into my wall. I wanna use this one to alarm and disarm the alarm system. Should also not be any problem then?

Well the MQTT client trigger has a tag that contains the message content posted on the  triggered topic. So if the temperature is posted, the trigger has a token that will contain the temperature (well the whole payload). 

• I can see the MSG from temp sensor and doorbell on my MQTT server (In homey) but when i try to make a flow for it and write "on" in msg, save and then it forgets it.

20180217-14:51:08 Packet published on

Is what i get when I push the doorbell. Can anyone show me an exemple on a flow?
  • Get the card from MQTT which says receive topic triggers. That’s the card with the tags
  • Yes, thats what im trying todo, but i only get "undefined" when i push the save button

• Looks like u need to put "Packet published on" in the left card?
  • I did try this, i see in the logs when i press the button
    "20180217-21:14:34 Packet published on"

Is there anything im missing?

• RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited February 2018
    So, did u try to fill : "Packet published" in the card?
  • Did try that now, still dont work :(
  • Well, u have to fill in the message the chip is sending. It's also case sensative so it has to be the precise message u fill in there.
  • Yep. What about the topic? Do i need to fill that in?
  • Yes, enter the topic. Just the topic and case sensative!