This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Spotify via chromecast

2»

Comments

• Hi guys, I'd be renovating my house and I was wondering which Multiroom/soundbar should I purchase w.r.t integration with Spotify.

My LG TV comes with the SJ8 soundbar ( built-in chromecast ) or should I look at Denon Heos / Yamaha Musicast / Sonos ? 

Does all of the above works? Thanks
  • Oh does it? I didn't knew that :-)!!! That's great news @lubbertkramer!
    jup already working. Don't have a chromecast but have a nvidia shield with chromecast :)

Devices page:

I have a problem with the beta app. Could add some connect devices, but the controls don't work.
    Am i doing something wrong?
  • Oh does it? I didn't knew that :-)!!! That's great news @lubbertkramer!
    jup already working. Don't have a chromecast but have a nvidia shield with chromecast :)

Devices page:

I have a problem with the beta app. Could add some connect devices, but the controls don't work.
    Am i doing something wrong?
    What do you mean with "controls don't work"?
  • koeniebertkoeniebert Member
    edited January 2018

I mean the controls in the device page. Controls don't work.  It is linked to the Spotify app on a mac mini.
    If i open the app, the connection is made , but i can't control the app through Homey. Is it a problem that it's not a premium Spotify account?

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited January 2018

I mean the controls in the device page. Controls don't work.  It is linked to the Spotify app on a mac mini.
    If i open the app, the connection is made , but i can't control the app through Homey. Is it a problem that it's not a premium Spotify account?

Working here, but i have Spotify premium. Did you try out the help from Spotify itself found here, can you play from your phone on your mac, so from the spotify app control your mac?

Note from the Spotify website:

Connect everywhere with Premium.

Some Spotify Connect devices require Spotify Premium.

• I mean the controls in the device page. Controls don't work.  It is linked to the Spotify app on a mac mini.

Working here, but i have Spotify premium. Did you try out the help from Spotify itself found here, can you play from your phone on your mac, so from the spotify app control your mac?

OK, thanks for the quick reply. Works with my iphone. Maybe it's should be premium. 
    Thanks for the help!

• I mean the controls in the device page. Controls don't work.  It is linked to the Spotify app on a mac mini.

OK, thanks for the quick reply. Works with my iphone. Maybe it's should be premium. 
    Thanks for the help!
    No problemo, you can always try premium 30 days free at Spotify :) 

Thanks for the help!
    Works fine with Premium account. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!
    Works fine with Premium account. Thanks for the help!
    No problem, good to hear it worked downside is you need premium for it 
  • ChristiaanWChristiaanW Member
    edited January 2018
    lenonline said:
    @lubbertkramer with the help of your post over at Tweakers.net, I was able to at least add my Google Home & Google Chromecast (Gen1) as Spotify Connect devices. Win 1! There's one caveat though; you have to stream a Spotify song while adding the devices otherwise it seems that the Chromecast doesn't announce itself on the network as a Spotify Connect device. I've the feeling this isn't a specific 

Win 2: actually using the Spotify Connect speaker within my existing flows - whoop, whoop!

But here comes the big BUT - I'm simply not able to get a flow to work in cases where the chromecast isn't already a Spotify stream playing e.g. via the app on my phone. To clarify:

What works:
    Cast "Song x" via my phone to Chromecast -> Start flow -> Song changes to playlist that starts via the Homey flow (yay!)

What doesn't (seem to) work:
    No Spotify playing -> Start flow in Homey -> Music won't start, error on the action cardsays "Not Found"

I've added one of my 'test' flows below. Can you reproduce the same issue? Or are you able to play music through your Shield without having an active stream open before you start the flow

I'm posting this here so that some other people may find it useful as well I've posted bugs in Github before but I never get a response so I'm not really sure if it's worth all my effort.. :)
    I have the same issue when I use a 'normal' (non chromecast) spotify connect device. In my case a sony multiroom speaker. 

This is quite annoying because I'm trying to create a 'Good Morning' flow. I'm unable to get it stable because homey cannot start playing music by itself. 

Im not sure if it is caused by the standby function of the sony speaker or due to a bug in the homey software. To be honest I think it is an bug in the homey app, because I'm always able to start music using my cellphone (official spotify app), even when the speaker is on standby. 

Let me know if you want me to do some more testing. I can easily reproduce this issue.
  • I have left alone this topic for somewhile but thought today to check it out, maybe some things or features changed. I still seem to have problems with playing spotify to my chromecast audio although people claim that it should work. I can select my chromecast in Homey music and when I do so there is the beep from the chromecast providing me comfirmation. But all the playlists are greyed out and the play button can't be clicked. 

How do people exactly play spotify to their chromecast then?

• I have left alone this topic for somewhile but thought today to check it out, maybe some things or features changed. I still seem to have problems with playing spotify to my chromecast audio although people claim that it should work. I can select my chromecast in Homey music and when I do so there is the beep from the chromecast providing me comfirmation. But all the playlists are greyed out and the play button can't be clicked. 

How do people exactly play spotify to their chromecast then?

Hello Jimmy,

I've the same problem here. I want to create a flow which plays a spotify playlist on my pioneer VSX-S510 when I come home from work. I don't know which flow card I have to use first, but I think this is the right way.

When I am already using spotiy on my receiver, playing a song from my laptop, the flow also doesn't work. The last flow card gives an error 'no_playable_tracks'. 

• Alright, it is working. I did some tests this evening, and now it is working. Altough, sometimes it takes very long before the song is played on my speakers.

• jackyyyjackyyy Member
    I am not the Spotify Premium Member, so I can't play Spotify through Chromcast. What's a pity :(
  • MsGMsG Member
    edited May 2018
    I still can't get this to work. I get an error triangle at the play block saying 'e.indexof is not a function'.

I have a Google Home Mini which acts as a Chromecast Audio device to stream on.

• MsGMsG Member
    edited May 2018

I still can't get this to work. I get an error triangle saying e.indexof is not a function. What now? :(

• And which is the Chromecast card in the very right colom?
  • Definitely Chromecast. Because you can simply sync Spotify music to Chromecast for playback.
  • Chromecast supports Spotify well, to it is not difficult to stream spotify to chromecast. But please note that you have to subscribe to the Spotify Premium. Else you won't be able to do that.