This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

cloud or offline functionality

My Homey is on its way within a couple of weeks i hope. I'm really enthousiastic but missing some info of the unit itself. As also mentioned on some hardware discussions to get some kind of wiki, please give some more info of the unit, using hardware xyz, wihthout the internet xyz is not working but abc is etc. Where is what stored?

This was triggerd during the nest downtime this week. Hopefully you can share detail information about some stuff without making other people smarter then the need to be.

Comments

• Online setup ok. But i hope also offline use is possible. Like Homewizard. You can use that with the app also offline/ internet is not there. Also waiting for Hmey. Wll see.
  • This question has been asked before. Unfortunately no complete details are available yet but from what has been shared so far, and what I have read here on the forums as posted by Athom personnel, when the Internet goes down, the Homey will still function, but the voice recognition will not work. The reason for this is that the voice recognition is complex and the audio data is never the same, so it's sent to one of Athom's own servers to process the speech and to perform the recognition. The same thing happens with software like Cortana, Siri, and Google speech-to-text.
  • YamahaaYamahaa Member
    edited January 2016
    Check read that to.But will the app still communicate with Hmey...wll find out later
  • yes the app will be usable localy, speech wont work obviously, all local stuff keeps on working.

• sounds like what i was expecting, looking good so far!

• JeroenKleijnJeroenKleijn Member
    edited January 2016
    Is it possible to let the homey tell you there is no internet connection? So when you say "Ok Homey" it responds with  "no internet connection, please use the mobile app" So you dont repeat the command 3 time before you start shouting at homey.
  • Is it possible to let the homey tell you there is no internet connection? So when you say "Ok Homey" it responds with  "no internet connection, please use the mobile app" So you dont repeat the command 3 time before you start shouting at homey.
    My guess is that a developer could create an app for this if this won't make it into core functionality.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Homey instantly responds when you try to talk to it and it has no internet :)
  • And what does it respond with?  It tells you the internet is out?
    Yeah
  • Nice  B)
  • Aah nice! 
  • If you've read some of my other posts you'll know that I am severely physically disabled and I am totally reliant on my Hotech VoiceMe II for environmental control. Homey should be a huge improvement but the topic of this thread shows one of the scenarios I am most afraid of: namely that the Internet/router goes down and renders Homey unable to use voice commands.
    As far as I know, the VoiceMe doesn't use a speech recognition engine as such: it's more of a pattern/waveform recognition. To set it up, you make a recording of the command you're going to use and then you must repeat it almost exactly each time you want to execute the action.
    My hope is that when Homey detects the Internet is down it can have two or three local commands available, stored in its memory as described above, which can act as 'emergency' commands so that at least I would be able to activate a couple of important, but basic, functions like heat and light without needing actual speech recognition capability. Does this sound even remotely doable?  

PS. Apologies for the size of the font. I can't seem to change it!

@Dom2061, as you're already able to type using different (local) software, you can use Homey's API to send 'text' to Homey, just as it was spoken!
  • You also have multiple other ways to control Homey without internet acces. U can use the homey app. without internet it will still work on the local network. 
    You can also program a remote like theTrust / CoCo / KlikAanKlikUit. Then you have a 433MHz remote with you. Here you have 4 button which you can program freely. Also it has 4 groups. This will give you 16 buttons to program, but also a lot of button to remember.

I think its better to have at least 2 ways to control the devices you need, at all times. With homey you can use Voice, buttons, mobile phone and you can automate stuff with the flows.  Of these only voice needs internet and your phone needs internet or acces to you wifi. 
  • Unfortunately, both my hands and arms are paralysed so I can only 'type' using speech recognition software, and my computer is only in use for a couple of hours in the afternoon because of other physical limitations.

However, your responses have prompted me to think of a possible workaround:

whenever I next upgrade my mobile phone, it will be one where the digital assistant is 'always on'. In this way I should always be able to send text to Homey using the mobile network even if the Internet is down.

I think it's fairly unlikely that both systems will be unavailable at the same time, so in that case I should still be able to operate Homey by voice in one way or another.

Thank you so much for helping me sort this out!

• That is not possible. When you are on ht emobile network. with you phone it will send the command over the internet which homey doesnt have at that moment

• That is not possible. When you are on ht emobile network. with you phone it will send the command over the internet which homey doesnt have at that moment

Depends if your router/gateway has a mobile data connection as backup ;) 
  • @emile , would it be possible to add multiple wifi/ internet connections in order of priority as a failover. This way i can connect to 2 neighburs (and the can connect to mine if the would like) due to the fact we have different providers there is a higher change of staying online.
This discussion has been closed.