This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Moving to a new home - asking for inspiration

Comments

• danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    @RuudvB Nice! I’ve been tossing either or not to get a Roomba 980 (there is an app for Homey). Getting closer to a positive decision after your post.
    yeah, I also hate any cable on the floor. Hence, I have none that I can see or a cleaning robot can tangle into. RE: my bedroom LED light strip power supply, lucky enough the bed we own has storage compartment and there is a void almost special made up for the power supply and the RGBW controller. So nothing is on sight.
  • nicely described  @RuudvB   .. I watched some videos on youtube .. found Xiaomi .. looks really smart .. the way it calculates the path to clean ..  .. I have all wooden floors .. some ceramic tiles in entrance .. looks like could be a nice addition :)
  • @danone , @jprgomet
    My robot is the LG HomBot. From the spec's I compared at buying time, this one was most quiet. I think Roomba and Xiaomi are both very good robots. The Roomba series has a very steep pricing, I came tho think quite overpriced.
    All have their specific patterns and methods on how to clean, in the end they all do the job.

The LG hombot has some more supporters around here, there is even an app for it: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.lg.hombot
    Nice thing is that there is a serious (German) community around that creates special software updates. Yes, this vacuum has an USB connection; never seen that before :)
    At the moment I'm using a software version that should make the robot more careful with objects. It does work, at least sort of. When the camera's detect an object it slows down sooner then before and does not really bump into things.
    Funny thing is that it tries to get its way pushing thru. Normally this is no problem but we have a few very light chairs, sometimes we find them being moved several meters.... Then you know that your robot has been really working :)

• @RuudvB thanks for the short review. Yeah, Roomba is not cheap at all. My house floors are made of everything: timber, tiles and carpet. So I am after one that has no problems with all this.
    Lucky all on one level.
    Equally important is how good Homey’s support for the particular robot.
  • danone said:
    @RuudvB thanks for the short review. Yeah, Roomba is not cheap at all. My house floors are made of everything: timber, tiles and carpet. So I am after one that has no problems with all this.
    Lucky all on one level.
    Equally important? I do not understand? These robots suppose to clean your house according to certain time tables which is supported by the device itself. In what way need homey to support or control such a vacuumcleaner (else then maybe check if there is someone home)?
  • Roephoed said:
    danone said:
    @RuudvB thanks for the short review. Yeah, Roomba is not cheap at all. My house floors are made of everything: timber, tiles and carpet. So I am after one that has no problems with all this.
    Lucky all on one level.
    Equally important? I do not understand? These robots suppose to clean your house according to certain time tables which is supported by the device itself. In what way need homey to support or control such a vacuumcleaner (else then maybe check if there is someone home)?
    What I meant by "equally important" was that I could buy any cleaning robot but as long as it did not have an app in the Athom app store, I didn't CARE about that particular robot. Ideally every single electronic device in my house must talk with Homey, else you can have it. Equally I can grab myself the normal vacuum and clean the house without Homey telling me where I can find the most dust.
  • edited November 2017
    I thought at first that an app for a robot vacuum cleaner was a must. Until I found a robot vacuum cleaner for €150. The price difference did it for me. The best domotica piece I ever bought. It now cleans the house every night at 1 O clock at night. Everybody always asleep, no need for smart integrations :)

PS. it's the iLife v5
    PS 2. I wouldn't use this one if you have carpet in your home. But on tiles and wooden flooring it works perfect.
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    Yes the iLife v5 looks good. But I think with the carpet and all the transitions in between different floors I have it will just be good for... dusting. If that.
    I am not after the most expensive robot on the market either. Sure I don't want to pay for the brand!  "I am too poor to buy cheap things" as one said.
  • danone said:
    Roephoed said:
    danone said:
    Lucky all on one level.
    What I meant by "equally important" was that I could buy any cleaning robot but as long as it did not have an app in the Athom app store, I didn't CARE about that particular robot. Ideally every single electronic device in my house must talk with Homey, else you can have it. Equally I can grab myself the normal vacuum and clean the house without Homey telling me where I can find the most dust.

I see.

Currently i am looking at robot cleaners, but the price difference and feature differences are huge. However, i don't know if those features are worthwile or not, due to my inexpercience with these devices. That's why i'm asking the question.. 

I thought at first that an app for a robot vacuum cleaner was a must. Until I found a robot vacuum cleaner for €150. The price difference did it for me. The best domotica piece I ever bought. It now cleans the house every night at 1 O clock at night. Everybody always asleep, no need for smart integrations :)

PS. it's the iLife v5
    PS 2. I wouldn't use this one if you have carpet in your home. But on tiles and wooden flooring it works perfect.

In the end, how did you actually choose this one? (As the dutch say,) I dont see the forrest anymore due to all the trees...
  • In the end, how did you actually choose this one? (As the dutch say,) I dont see the forrest anymore due to all the trees..

Well, read some reviews on this one and they were quite good. I didn't have much requirements, got a stone floor, no carpets, no stairs to fall off, no pets (well I got fish...), 40m2 to clean, some small doorsteps (1 cm high). So nothing 'special'. Well, I do have kids that like to throw food on the ground every day ;) So I figured, that if this wouldn't do the job, why would a 600€ vacuum cleaner do it better ;)

It actually is quite good, it sees the walls (infrared), has fall protection, cable detection (it notices when it's stuck and stops). There are some movies online (YouTube) that compare the iLife 5 vs some other vacuum cleaners.
  • RoephoedRoephoed Member
    edited November 2017
    In the end, how did you actually choose this one? (As the dutch say,) I dont see the forrest anymore due to all the trees..

Well, read some reviews on this one and they were quite good. I didn't have much requirements, got a stone floor, no carpets, no stairs to fall off, no pets (well I got fish...), 40m2 to clean, some small doorsteps (1 cm high). So nothing 'special'. Well, I do have kids that like to throw food on the ground every day ;) So I figured, that if this wouldn't do the job, why would a 600€ vacuum cleaner do it better ;)

It actually is quite good, it sees the walls (infrared), has fall protection, cable detection (it notices when it's stuck and stops). There are some movies online (YouTube) that compare the iLife 5 vs some other vacuum cleaners.

Thanks! I will just have a look at more reviews then and will decide then. Maybe it is less complicated as I think it is..

For now, I stop hyjacking OP's thread about his new home. So Back to @jprgomet -> How are the new home improvements working out? any update?

• :) .. the apartment is almost finished.. there is still some work needed (build the kitchen, furniture/closets) but I guess and hope that we will completely move early in December.

On automation, I have tried to build/prepare flows for shades, but that was harder than I expected so I gave up until we move in. Tried to set variables needed, and to get weather, it works but exactly as I want it to.

I am ordering today Aeotec Wallmote Quad (for living area to control scenes and lights) and Aeotec LED strip for the kitchen counter. It's a working area used a lot and that LED strip has great reviews, it's really bright with natural light so even its not supported in Homey at the moment I decided to buy it while I think that light is important. Any suggestions on these two before I order?

Still did not decide on lights :) How and what and where, I guess I need to see how we use it daily and then buy appropriately. But I decided on Epson EH-TW6700 Projector and 120" screen (hahaha, explain that to my wife!).
  • I am ordering today Aeotec Wallmote Quad (for living area to control scenes and lights) and Aeotec LED strip for the kitchen counter. It's a working area used a lot and that LED strip has great reviews, it's really bright with natural light so even its not supported in Homey at the moment I decided to buy it while I think that light is important. Any suggestions on these two before I order?

Still did not decide on lights :) How and what and where, I guess I need to see how we use it daily and then buy appropriately. But I decided on Epson EH-TW6700 Projector and 120" screen (hahaha, explain that to my wife!).
    I don't own an Aeotec LED strip, I've seen it working in a shop, tough. Nice light, indeed. I do own a Wallmote Quad, it is a ripper! Love it, works super and very slick.
  • yeah .. I think both will be great .. quad for living area where I have kitchen dining living room lights .. I so can set some scenes on those 4 .. read somewhere on the forum that I should buy hardware model with round edges inside .. there is some problem with earlier version !? and strip as working light should be good .. 

as I read .. I like the idea of wireless switches, small ones like ikea or xiaomi .. it allows you to put them all around the apt and use it for one purpose .. like "sleep/away" .. or all shades up/down .. all light on/off etc .. they are cheap .. ikea and xiaomi are around 10 euros .. small .. use them with fibaro switch even when you dont have a wall switch (like for wc fan that is now connected to ceiling light) .. to turn devices on/off .. or for projector screen since I dont have wireing for it ..
  • We will install the kitchen next week I guess, I need LED strip. I want to buy Aeotec LED strip, but it does not work with Homey plus it is 6 pin, so I can not connect it to other working RGB controller like Fibaro. Or can I?

I need good LED strip 5m or more with lots of lumens per meter, does not need to be RGB. Can be white only, but needs to be dimmable and white needs to be adjustable 3k Kelvin and over. Any hints?

I will put one in the drywall ceiling in living room, also.
  • The Aeotec LED is indeed awesome, if I would be you I would buy it an wait for it to have the masters here integrated into the app. Perhaps by the time your house is ready, this will be supported as well.
    As of recommended other good RGBW strips.... I am not of much help since I live in the upside-down world. (AUS)
    In a previous post I put a link with a shop in Melbourne, look for those strips which have a high output or high concentrations of LEDs/metre.

I don't own an Aeotec strip, I've just seen the 6 wires. As hard as I tried to find a wiring diagram, I failed. On some pictures I could see the "normal" R, G, B, W and Common wires, the sixth seems to be a Vcc?? Not sure at all, my guess is that the load is split on the white channel. Perhaps someone here that owns one can clarify. I have a friend which owns the most reputable HA shop in Melbourne, I shall ask him.
  • @danone thank you .. yes .. the wires on Aeotec are RGBW + C + Vcc .. 
  • Aeotec's ledstrip uses the same functionality as the bulb they have, so practically the code could be copy paste i think.
    So having RGB + CCT ( Red, Green, Blue, Warm White and Cold White) making 5 "colors" plus a 12 or 24 volt input (not sure what they use)
  • caseda said:
    Aeotec's ledstrip uses the same functionality as the bulb they have, so practically the code could be copy paste i think.
    So having RGB + CCT ( Red, Green, Blue, Warm White and Cold White) making 5 "colors" plus a 12 or 24 volt input (not sure what they use)
    ah, so the sixth (or fifth) wire is for cold white, the one marked C.
    If that @jprgomet , using this strip with fibaro RGBW controller instead of the original aeotec controller, will miss a channel. fibaro only controls 4 channels.

It is 24V. 
  • I looked at Aeotec site @caseda you could be right about copy/paste .. bulb also has RGB cold + warm white .. I hope that is true .. will post that on GitHub .. 

@danone .. does it mean .. if I don't have aeotec homey app that fully supports led strip .. I could use fibaro RGBW just to control RGB + W .. and C pin I leave unconnected on strip?
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    jprgomet said:
    I looked at Aeotec site @caseda you could be right about copy/paste .. bulb also has RGB cold + warm white .. I hope that is true .. will post that on GitHub .. 

@danone .. does it mean .. if I don't have aeotec homey app that fully supports led strip .. I could use fibaro RGBW just to control RGB + W .. and C pin I leave unconnected on strip?
    Yes, you can. Either C, or W or any other channel, of course, it makes sense to leave C not connected as you can easily achieve Cold White by having the R,G,B turned on in the same time.
    Then when the Aeotec led light strip is supported, you can connect back the original controller and use the Fibaro RGBW controller on another application around your house  ;) That Fibaro has also four Inputs which makes it very, very versatile controller. Imagine you can add some temperature sensors to those inputs and nicely control RGB according with the temperature or you can add some humidity sensors, or rain sensors and then you can close/open your windows or water your garden.
  • small update .. we have moved in .. woooohooo! .. homey still not connected .. got the aeotec led strip and quad wall mote .. will try to connect these days .. also fibaro roller shutters .. already have an idea to make a flow for WC vent and dryer .. when dryer is on (on neo wallplug) .. turn the vent on .. cuz WC is small and dryer makes it very humid .. also in bathroom .. I would like to make a flow to run vent for 5 minutes every hour during day .. quick question .. what is cheapest on/off switch to use for not dimmable lights and ventilation?
  • jprgomet said:
    small update .. we have moved in .. woooohooo! .. homey still not connected .. got the aeotec led strip and quad wall mote .. will try to connect these days .. also fibaro roller shutters .. already have an idea to make a flow for WC vent and dryer .. when dryer is on (on neo wallplug) .. turn the vent on .. cuz WC is small and dryer makes it very humid .. also in bathroom .. I would like to make a flow to run vent for 5 minutes every hour during day .. quick question .. what is cheapest on/off switch to use for not dimmable lights and ventilation?
    Nice! Enjoy the new house...
    You asked for cheap I know, a solution is Fibaro double switch 2 you can control up to two devices and reports power consumption. Aeotec has also a dual nano switch (not supported by Homey, yet. But since the single nano switch is supported I guess not long before the dual is) Anyway none of this are cheap but if both fan and lights are behind the same wall switch then with one unit you control both.
  • tnx .. I looked also switch from neo callcam .. its a complete switch .. single od dual .. http://www.szneo.com/en/products/show.php?id=196 .. I will try one .. aeotec wallmote came old hardware (square) version so I returned it to amazon.
  • jprgomet said:
    tnx .. I looked also switch from neo callcam .. its a complete switch .. single od dual .. http://www.szneo.com/en/products/show.php?id=196 .. I will try one .. aeotec wallmote came old hardware (square) version so I returned it to amazon.
    indeed, neocoolcam is cheaper than fibaro. Wished they would produce their range for Australian frequency.
    Perhaps better go in a real shop and get the right wallmote  ;)
  • jprgometjprgomet Member
    edited January 2018
    installed just one roller shutter 2 by fibaro (its a bit of work, takes time) .. it works .. my balcony blinds are rolling down every night at 1.30 and up on the sunrise .. fibaro test motor limits/movement .. range up and down .. so I open it at 95% (full open) .. and close it at 85% (full close) .. rest is not needed while its just blinds rolling inside the box .. and making motor reach the limit position .. (will install other 5 when I got the time)

edit: flow for blinds up is simple .. trigger = sun event sunrise .. then = set blinds to position 0.95 .. but on some days it opens and on some it does not ?! .. (flow test works) any thoughts?

also installed aeotec led strip as generic z-wave .. I can only switch it on and off .. I hope someone will soon write app for it .. it glows bright and nice .. negative is that it comes with a LARGE black power brick :) ..

will try to install dimmer switch somewhere .. as I have it .. maybe kitchen spotlight that I have with Ikea GU10 dimmable bulbs  .. still did not bought the ceiling lights .. edit: installed the dimmer for GU10 lamps .. it works .. but the bulbs are a bit strange .. 4 x 6w .. total 24w when on 100% brightness .. but when I dimm them at total 15W its like only 5% change in lumens .. and homey app is not so precise when dimming .. I can not get them lower than 4W .. which is still more light than I want :) .. under that they go off .. 

have one door/sensor .. I guess I will try it on main door .. 

have danfoss living .. with its control unit .. works very well .. evey room has its own temp .. its closed .. not connectable with homey or IFTTT or anything .. has an app for iOS .. but it is nice .. works well and app is ok .. 

offtopic .. bought epson 6700w led projector .. that was the biggest WOW factor .. very nice movie night experience .. also Q3050 speakers also very good .. not awesome .. but really good .. apple tv 4k was surprise also .. netflix hbo .. MrMc app for kodi/mkv .. all works ..

as you can read .. I am happy :)
  • jprgometjprgomet Member
    edited January 2018
    jprgomet said:
    I looked at Aeotec site @caseda you could be right about copy/paste .. bulb also has RGB cold + warm white .. I hope that is true .. will post that on GitHub .. 
    @caseda
    LED Strip is the kitchen .. not working .. wife not happy .. I tried something by myself on github .. first time ever on github .. made fork, branch .. changed what I found to be changed .. how I can try my version now on my homey?

99% of params are the same .. some are different .. and maybe only in description
    Strip - https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6052990304
    Bulb - https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6052990303

edit: done .. its working .. 

• I would like to do this .. circle change of LED brightness using Fibaro button.

Fibaro Button - pressed once
    change brightness on LED strip +25%
    if brightness 100% - turn OFF

So I use presses on Fibaro button.
    First press led is set to 25%, second press LED is on 50%, 3rd on 75%, 4th 100%, 5th turned off, 6th led is on 25% etc.

Any hints. I looked up cards in flows, hmm, I do not see how to make it.
  • did it .. with 33% steps .. 

• danonedanone Member
    edited January 2018
    @jprgomet do you have a garden or lawn? I am asking because I've just finished plumbing some irrigation for my lawn and garden patch which includes two electric valves and a flow meter and a small control cabinet where I fitted a Fibaro Double Relay (for the two valves) and a Fibaro Universal Sensor (for the flow meter) Now working to automate this based on season, rain and outside temperature (Netatmo...)
    Maybe some inspiration for your new house??