This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

qube rgbw wifi bulb for under 20 euros

Hi all,

in the time of waiting for the homey i'm looking for the correct lamps. I have a budget of 20 euro per lamp and just found a project with bulbs that has the price of less then 20 dollar. /In contact with them now for the api but looks like the lifx but then 5 times cheaper.
http://www.qube-smarthome.com/

Comments

• Looks very interesting indeed. It has IFTTT integration so you can always use that if there is no API available. You'd have to wait till june until it's shipped though.
  • Just orderd a couple. Will see. I don't think that prices here wil drop more then 60 % in till june. Also asked again for homey support.
  • Looks very promising indeed, but the website also looks very much like a scam! Most links on the website don't work (or aren't links at all). And on Facebook they're harvesting likes, shares and followers with many giveaways...

They have a Indiegogo project at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-most-affordable-wi-fi-smart-bulb that reference this website (but the website doesn't mention the Indiegogo), but it's their first.

Looking at the WHOIS data of the domain name, the registrant, admin and tech names are 'Contact Privacy Inc.' and they use CloudFlare nameservers: https://who.is/whois/qube-smarthome.com (so all names and IP addresses are hidden).

I, of course, could be totally wrong, but now you're at least warned before you 'pre-order' this product (and eventually don't receive anything)!

For those that already ordered, we'll see what happens this summer.
  • @Emile and @Stefan, maybe also check the identity of tunf (did he really pre-order?)... No offence, but tunfs previous comments and this topic (with an ad-like title and text) are very sketchy. Again, in my opinion!
  • @vsub, I really hope you're wrong :) In that case, Qube is an absolute winner.

Just checked their website but when I click on 'pre-order', it's directs me to Indigogo.
  • vsub said:
    @Emile and @Stefan, maybe also check the identity of tunf (did he really pre-order?)... No offence, but tunfs previous comments and this topic (with an ad-like title and text) are very sketchy. Again, in my opinion!
    Hi Vsub, why put up a defense when being accused by another member? not needed ...in my opinion. Why check if i pre orderd (which i did btw) why are my topic very skechy? Always making friends this way?

The preorder advice is to use paypal/ creditcard that way your buy is garanteed.

Bus @vsub, this way is no way of talking to or about someone. please stop making me a bad person on this posts. shame on you!
  • Regardless of what has been said, with the "pre-order" you are following indiegogo TOU so it does not matter if you use paypal or a creditcard if they don't deliver you're just as screwed as the backers. 
  • Their timeline showed that they should have been on the CES. Maybe we can find any evidence of someone that actually saw them there.
    I think the product is not really complex, so in theory it should be possible to mass produce something like this for $20. But why take the risk? It's already funded, so just wait until they deliver something.
  • Backed them (2), not much money and low risk so let's check it out. Also quite communicative on their IG page. Anyhow, anyones choice
  • Hi @tunf, there's no hard feelings toward you, just giving my opinion, facts about the project and website and looking out for my fellow 'homeys'... So don't get personally offended by this, just like I don't feel offended by your post (from my view, I've not talked bad about you and therefore I feel no shame >:)).

@DieterKoblenz is correct about the 'pre-order' not having a refund (money-back) policy: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/526876-Refunds-Can-I-get-my-money-back-. The project has entered the InDemand program, so if you don't request a refund within 10 days, your contribution is tranferred. To clarify: you are not actually buying anything (although you most likely get something in return for your contribution). Linking the pre-order button to the Indiegogo project is a red flag for me, especially on the website (so kudos to Athom for doing this the correct way!).

And as @Michael noted, their timeline showed they attended CES, but there's no mention of 'Qubo', 'Innova Technology', or 'Red Dot Ventures', on http://ces16.mapyourshow.com/7_0/search.cfm (this is the official exhibitor directory as linked on http://www.cesweb.org/). Could be they just didn't attend of course, but I couldn't find a single update or comment about this.

The Indiegogo project page and their updates seem legit and I really hope the final product will be shipped and can live up to all expectations. For 19 USD (ca. 18 euro) per bulb it's just double the price of a regular white LED bulb and with all the listed functionalities (no hub required, BT, WiFi, sensing, etc.) not even 1/3 of a single Philips Hue bulb. This just leaves me with a 'too good to be true' feeling, so I wouldn't risk my money on it (not even for a single bulb) and wait for the first shipments (or even the first reviews). Just my 2 cents.
  • Any company that claims to be legit and still uses Comic Sans Serif on their homepage is, per se, running a scam. Stay away from this, people - common sense clearly dictates that this is nothing short of a hoax.
  • Pete said:
    Any company that claims to be legit and still uses Comic Sans Serif on their homepage is, per se, running a scam. Stay away from this, people - common sense clearly dictates that this is nothing short of a hoax.
    Seems you did not spend much time in your life in Asia as you are surprised of that. Means nothing ;) anyhow everyone's choice. cheers from Shanghai. 
  • vsub said:
    ...For 19 USD (ca. 18 euro) per bulb it's just double the price of a regular white LED bulb and with all the listed functionalities (no hub required, BT, WiFi, sensing, etc.) not even 1/3 of a single Philips Hue bulb. This just leaves me with a 'too good to be true' feeling...
    I had the same feeling. But when I think about it the Hue is probably extremely overpriced. It's nothing more then some electronics, a few SMD LED's and a housing. I don't expect a whole lot of R&D on the Hue's either. So the 18 euro is not much, but could be a realistic price. Especially if you want to disrupt the (Hue dominated) market.
  • Michael said:
    vsub said:
    ...For 19 USD (ca. 18 euro) per bulb it's just double the price of a regular white LED bulb and with all the listed functionalities (no hub required, BT, WiFi, sensing, etc.) not even 1/3 of a single Philips Hue bulb. This just leaves me with a 'too good to be true' feeling...
    I had the same feeling. But when I think about it the Hue is probably extremely overpriced. It's nothing more then some electronics, a few SMD LED's and a housing. I don't expect a whole lot of R&D on the Hue's either. So the 18 euro is not much, but could be a realistic price. Especially if you want to disrupt the (Hue dominated) market.
    Exactly. And I'm still hoping that is what's going to happen.
  • Production and proto pics look okay ish in there latest update. Still, let us see
  • A former associate of mine had a saying that may be memorable to anyone eager to get their holds on a €18 wifi bulb - "scammers and their victims have one thing in common - their desire for easy money".

Again, people - take caution before even considering shelling out a single cent on this project. It has hoax written all over it.
  • Assumingly you work for Philips ;) 18 bucks is 2 beers here and if I am unlucky they are also fake. Every Crowdfunding campaign has risks, sure. Anyone choice, others buy on Amazon 
  • This may also be of interest:

http://co.uk.webdisclosure.com/finance/stocks/qube/news/468223.html

Reading that, it looks fairly legit...

This discussion has been closed.