This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Roller Shutter which brand to buy? Fibaro or Qubino?

This weekend I installed 1 fibaro roller shutter 2 FGR-222 (V2.5). After some trouble with initial pairing, I found how to reset the module to factory defaults and the pairing went fine.

Some experimenting, working half, I found that the module had to be calibrated with the screen. This can be done via the homey app/driver which is very nice and prevented that I had to re-open the hardware were the module is mounted. At the moment all is working nicely and I am quite pleased.

Since I have 6 groups of screens at my house that I want to control via homey, I wonder what do you guys think is the better (supported) module at the moment, the Fibaro or Qubino? Looking around I would guess the Fibaro? What is your opinion/experience? Are there other alternatives to consider?

I have already quite some NEO modules and I am surprised of their good quality, unfortunately they do not (yet) have shutter modules... At least not that I am aware of.

Comments

• Has nobody any experience...?
  • I use only Fibaro relais, support is ok.
  • Thanks @viktor

I did some research myself. I get the idea that the Qubino modules are only available for 12/24V..? Pricing is also somewhat higher. 

Modules are claimed to be smaller, where smaller is better.

Anyone more insights?
  • And you have the dim capability now.
  • I am using the klikaann controller , works reliably and much cheaper, does not need calibrating, but has no intermediate positioning
  • I already tried a 433 controller in the past. It worked 8-9 out of 10 times, which is not reliable enough for me. I want my screens controlled (remotely) when I am not there, so I need to have a confirmation.
    Thanks for your input though. 
  • I use both (still) KAKU and Fibaro, the big advantage with Fibaro is, it keps tracks of its position, and now with the "dim" possibility (not tested yet by me), If this works fine, I'll replace all KAKU with Fibaro (also you can "protect" your screen/shutter by adding a power limiter flow to stop in case of getting stuck ) 
  •  (also you can "protect" your screen/shutter by adding a power limiter flow to stop in case of getting stuck ) 
    Interesting.... how would you setup such a flow?
  • The Fibaro has an energy tag, so i've made a flow, if the energy tag value changes AND valua is above (in my case 300W) switch tot the stop position 
  • The Fibaro has an energy tag, so i've made a flow, if the energy tag value changes AND valua is above (in my case 300W) switch tot the stop position 
    Sounds logical, would you mind sharing your flow(s)?
  • jprgometjprgomet Member
    edited October 2017
    Hi,

I am looking to buy I have ordered Homey today and would like to control my blinds with it (among other things).
    Fibaro is z-wave, and Qubino, Zipato, Philio are all z-wave plus, but none of them is supported with homey.

Z-wave plus is better, you should buy z-wave plus if you have an option. But if I have only one non-plus device in routing, whole route switches to non-plus mode :) but still, would like to be future proof.

I think I am going to buy plus and wait for compatibility :)
  • I use both (still) KAKU and Fibaro, the big advantage with Fibaro is, it keps tracks of its position, and now with the "dim" possibility (not tested yet by me), If this works fine, I'll replace all KAKU with Fibaro (also you can "protect" your screen/shutter by adding a power limiter flow to stop in case of getting stuck ) 

Agree, Fibaro is a great device. With the "dim" possibility you stop the screen at any position
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited October 2017
    @jprgomet ; Homey is compatible with Z-Wave and Z-Wave+  also Fibaro has Z-Wave+ devices, most Z-Wave devices these days, are Z-Wave+.
    https://apps.developer.athom.com/tutorial-Z-Wave.html
  • @JPe all true but I was refering to roller/blinds controler .. fibaro does not have zwave plus version .. homey supports zwave plus .. but does not support any of plus shutter controler I have mentioned .. there is no app to pair them with homey .. 
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited October 2017
    @jprgomet Homey supports 3 Fibaro Roller/Shutter, controllers:

Supported devices with some parameters:

• FGR-221, Roller Shutter
    • FGRM-222, Roller Shutter 2
    • FGR-222, Roller Shutter 2 (v2.5)
    What type do you have? If not one of these 3, then register the data that is shown when you try to pair the device and ask for adding this device to the Fibaro App
    You also can use Qubino devices.....
  • jprgometjprgomet Member
    edited October 2017
    @JPe .. I dont have any .. I want to buy z-wave plus shutter module .. Fibaro does not have any shutter device that is z-wave plus .. I contacted Qubino .. they have z-wave plus roller shutter .. but at the moment they are working on new firmware for the device .. that will be compatibile with Homey .. earliest, starting next year .. 

edit: contacted Fibaro - no plan at the moment to release Roller Shutter 2 on Z-Wave+ chip.
    edit: contacted Aeotec - no plan at the moment to release Roller Shutter (they do not produce it at all)
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited October 2017
    @jprgomet ; Seems you want something that is not completely available yet, so if you don't want to wait for a complete solution, you can make a choice between some alternatives (life is full of choices  :s),
    • use a standard Z-Wave device, I don't think you will notice the difference.
    • use a Z-Wave+ 2-relays device and add an extra relay, 1 channel for the on/off function and 1 channel for the extra relay to switch the direction (up/down c.q. open/close). In the flows, you can build the functions.
    Maybe there are more options, I couldn't think of other, but as always, be creative and enjoy finding solutions  ;)
  • tnx .. I think I will go with fibaro relay shutter. I also think that that would not be much difference, it's better but it's not worth the wait. 
  • jprgomet said:
    tnx .. I think I will go with fibaro relay shutter. I also think that that would not be much difference, it's better but it's not worth the wait. 
    I'm curious if you got the Fibaro Roller Shutter 2 working correctly? I want to operate my venetian blinds (Somfy Sonesse 40 WT) with one Fibaro Roller Shutter per Somfy motor.
  • Hi,

I am working on getting the Philio PAN08 supported by the App. Unfortunately I am absolutely a newbie in Java scripts, but I did some "logical" changes based on the Fibaro FGRM-222 Driver. The App developer hasn't much time to Support me, but yesterday IU did send out my driver file to him. Hope it is good enough to get the PAN08 supported. Improvements will still be needed I assume.

By the way: The PAN08 can be included to Homey as Basic device. So you can at least open and close the blinds, but nothing in between.

• Lesley said:
    I'm curious if you got the Fibaro Roller Shutter 2 working correctly? I want to operate my venetian blinds (Somfy Sonesse 40 WT) with one Fibaro Roller Shutter per Somfy motor.
    I am moving in next week .. than I hope I will install and test .. but I dont expect any problems with it .. will let you know ..