This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Cheap Z-Wave Thermostat: Danfoss LC-13

Hey, I found an good offer for the Z-Wave Thermostat from Danfoss which should work with homey.
The usual price is 57€/Pcs, with this 3-Pack you get 40€/Pcs.
Found it at the german online shop notebooksbilliger.de , the also ship to the EU.

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/danfoss%2Blc%2B13%2Bliving%2Bconnect%2Bheizkoerperthermostat%2B3er%2Bset?nbb=pn.md#Q4C8

I hope it is ok posting this here, if not feel free to delete this ;).
I am also looking for a good offer of fibaro sensors, I'll keep you updated.

Comments

• thanks, thats really nice.!
  • was looking for that, so thanks. Anyone experiance with this thermostat? can this also be used to completely close a valve with z-wave? this way i can cool my house using my floor heating system and lockout the bathroom (condens from 18 degree or lower).

• honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    What a deal! Thanks for sharing it. Maybe there should be a section on this forum for sharing such things.
    Unfortunately they deliver only in Germany, Austria and Netherlands. :cry:

• Have them a year or two. They work well, don't use rechargeable batteries they drain very rapidly. You can only send a setpoint so no feed back of the actual temperature.
  • Was also looking for a product like this, because in my apartment I don't have central heating. To bad this thermostat won't report the current set temperature back.

No idea why danfoss didn't implement this but still decided to use z-wave, they also could use 433mhz for this.
  • Yeah, it is strange that danfoss doesn't send the temperature. Especially when you see, that the Devolo Thermostat which is also produced by danfoss is capable of this feature.

On the other hand the mesurement right at the radiator is not that accurate as if you use something like a fibaro motion sensor to track the temperature of a whole room.
  • DD Member
    Does it report back the setpoint if you change it manually on the thermostat?
  • Can I use these in my traditional set up to heat up the bathroom in the morning via Homey? I do understand the CV must be running. But is it feasible to change the setpoint twice a day (say 15 degrees by default, 20 degrees 30 minutes before my alarm clock goes of and back to 15 degrees 1 hour later).
    Does it measure the temperature itself and stop heating at the desired temperature, as you would expect from a radiator knob, or does it need additional temp control in the room.

I will replace my thermostat later on and I want to get a multizone experience with input from homey. Will this be a good investment? Can I only integrate them with a Danfoss thermostat later on? Or am I better of looking for a complete multizone solution with a good thermostat which can integrate with Homey properly?
  • WathLamersWathLamers Member
    edited January 2016
    D said:

+1   ??
    And;   how about the noise of the moter while adjusting the temprature?
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited January 2016
    D said:

+1   ??
    As far as I searched and know, yes.
    See the "Notice:" at the end.
    https://shop.benext.eu/product_info.php?products_id=134

And it reports its battery status.

I did also read that it is silent so you can install it in the bedroom 
  • Peao said:
    D said:

+1   ??
    As far as I searched and know, yes.
    See the "Notice:" at the end.
    https://shop.benext.eu/product_info.php?products_id=134

And it reports its battery status.

I did also read that it is silent so you can install it in the bedroom 

top.  thx for response
  • woei said:
    Can I use these in my traditional set up to heat up the bathroom in the morning via Homey? I do understand the CV must be running. But is it feasible to change the setpoint twice a day (say 15 degrees by default, 20 degrees 30 minutes before my alarm clock goes of and back to 15 degrees 1 hour later).
    Does it measure the temperature itself and stop heating at the desired temperature, as you would expect from a radiator knob, or does it need additional temp control in the room.

I will replace my thermostat later on and I want to get a multizone experience with input from homey. Will this be a good investment? Can I only integrate them with a Danfoss thermostat later on? Or am I better of looking for a complete multizone solution with a good thermostat which can integrate with Homey properly?
    Yes it does messure the temperature. But it does not send these data to the hub. 

That is the only disadvantage that other zwave thermostats do better.
  • MarcoF said:
    That's the best measurement you can have :sunglasses:
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited January 2016
    Haha :smile: 

My Order came today, just installed one of them ( need an adapter for the 2 other

). Included are two adapers, for RA and K valves, but I've got two RAV/L valves.

Installation was easy and well described. They state that if you switch the temperature on the thermostat it will send this as command to the z-wave gateway to synchronize other thermostats.
    Unfortunately I haven't got any Z-Wave gateway to test these features, yet .

The manual using works fine, you can switch the temperature with the two arrow keys (not a good pressure point ) and the radiator heats until the temperature is reached (faster than my old one)
  • What is the build quality like??
  • What is the build quality like??
    Except for the missing pressure point at a button press and that the angle of view of the display is not that wide, are there no complains on my side. It seems very solid, and nothing is unsteady. It looks more valuable than my radiator :wink: 

When you install it it is in the installation-mode, if you press the bottom button it starts to calibrate and starts to fix itself at the valve. After that its very steady and you can turn it, so you're able to get a better access to the batteries.
  • These displays point up :( Are there any (cheap?) radiator valves that display the temperature at the side? I know the Honeywell valves have their display on the side but afaik, those things can't communicate directly with Homey but need their own (expensive) hub...

My valves point up and the windowsill is about 10 cm above them :expressionless: 
  • Thanks for the detailed reply @Peao ! I was almost sure I was gonna buy Evohome, but know i'm having second thoughts... The Danfoss valves are a lot cheaper (now with this discount), but then I'm gonna need to find another thermostat.... Wondering which one would be a good solution. I want it to do modulation. What do you use?
  • @joolee idealy a radiator valve like this is mounted horizontally, when mounted upright it is placed in the hot air from the tubes. For a 'regular' thermostat this doesn't matter much because it's scale is in numbers that don't mean much, but with these that measure and show a temperature you can bet the values will not be realistic.

(the funny thing is that the screen orientation for UK models differ from EU models on Honeywell Evohome, the UK orientation is upright EU is horizontal)

• No problem :smile: 

I don't use an external thermostat. I am going to use homey combined with the Fibaro Motion sensor (for temperature measurement) to manage these thermostats/valves.

I guess its not the best solution, but for me its the cheapest, because I can use the motion sensors in  different ways.
  • @joolee idealy a radiator valve like this is mounted horizontally, when mounted upright it is placed in the hot air from the tubes. For a 'regular' thermostat this doesn't matter much because it's scale is in numbers that don't mean much, but with these that measure and show a temperature you can bet the values will not be realistic.
    Thermostat valves always need to be horizontal because they "feel" the temperature to open or close the valve. Like u said it is because of the values. Regular valves (the ones that don't feel the temperature but are only used to manually open or close) can be put anyway u like.
    Thermostat valves always need to be horizontal because they "feel" the temperature to open or close the valve. Like u said it is because of the values. Regular valves (the ones that don't feel the temperature but are only used to manually open or close) can be put anyway u like.
    I don't suppose there is a way to easily change the orientation of the valve, is there? The radiator is part of a system that runs all through the apartment building.
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited January 2016
    Well, it probably involves replacing 'kniestukken'. Have a look here: https://www.warmteservice.nl/search?text=radiatorkraan haaks to start with. 
  • Mind the size of the valve!
    Thruout the years Danfoss made different valve's.
    In the example i gave the size to fit the valve is M30.
    Your's may be different!!
  • And , just to be sure:
    just the thermostat needs to be horizontal, the valve can be in any position u like.
  • Receiver my order of the thermostats today. Happy!!!
    Will be even more happy when homey arrives as well.
    Thanks @Peao for the awesome tip!

BTW, I backed thermocoin on kickstarter for the feedback on temperature. Figured the temperature measurements are more accurate inside the rooms itself than it is so close to the radiator.
  • Just backed Thermoco too, thanks for the tip @rob_houweling! Don't know if they will ever work with homey, will see :)

For others that are interested: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1309712609/thermoco-coin-size-smart-thermometer-and-recorder (little over a day left to pledge)