This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Smartphone App (Preview)

Comments

• A short description of features could be added to their cards on the trello timeline
    https://trello.com/c/Gm9XmbLV/103-feature-complete-smartphone-app 
  • Of course it's coming back... We don't know the todo-list of Athom but you can always add things to Githuib to make sure they don't forget...
  • Since updating to the newest beta app on Android I can now create and change flows.

But flows created in the app doesn't run. Neither can I test already created flows, in the app. Something with the flows in the app isn't right. 

Anyone else have the same problem or maybe a solution?
  • No, looks like its working fine.
    I've created a new flow in the new smartphone app for the christmas tree and it did turn on at sun down like expected.
  • Leeuw1960Leeuw1960 Member
    edited December 2017
    jolerius said:
    Since updating to the newest beta app on Android I can now create and change flows.

But flows created in the app doesn't run. Neither can I test already created flows, in the app. Something with the flows in the app isn't right. 

Anyone else have the same problem or maybe a solution?
    i have the same problem with the IOS app.
    i made a flow with Buienradar the basic example from atom it rains in 5 minutes.
    No warning at all
    i thought i did something wrong
  • I just installed the new porgramm.
    Good looking.
    I like the extra options.
    A remark:
    - In the chat part if you type tekst the keyboard is above the textfield and you can't see the typing
    - How to start the speaking commands?
  • At all above, please keep in mind that's it's a BETA app wich is not yet released as stable and is therefor missing features, it's a work in progress (WIP)

Keep in mind that this is a community forum and that official feature requests or bugs need to be submitted to Github as stated in the startpost.
  • @lubbertkramer: Yes we know it is BETA and not (fully) stable, but normally (at least in our ALM) beta means (at least a near) feature-freeze and hopefully just bug-fixing/stability improvements with a not to large set of users, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta, after which RC's are released.  @GeurtDijker: A 'generic' card with 'feature-complete' in its name is not very 'smart' and @BvdBos states to add things to GitHub. And yes I could start adding feature requests to them (both?) but kind of a waste of my time if there already is a list and also maybe Athom's time since they sort of 'needs' to respond, taking (additional) time from them. And yes, I know developers rather work on implementing things than documenting (both upfront and afterwards) but a 'product manager' could (should?) do this.  It is easier to add small individual feature requests if you see one is missing from a larger list then start adding features to a limited list (less incentive often)

(Still loving Homey, sort of ;-))

• Well actually the app itself is called differently for a reason, namely "Homey (Preview)" so the adjective should have been "preview", making it "this is just a preview version, aka alpha" as extended naming.

But is named "beta" on the forum as users find that easier to understand that it is not done yet, and prone to bugs.
  • How do I get the new ios beta app
  • zimbrazimbra Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm having a lot of issues with the old app lately :(
    Not showing any devices, not showing some of the device.. After restarting the app it works fine most of the time.
    I still prefer using the old app since it's much easier to turn on/of the alarm quickly. The new app is working fine though (no connection issues).
  • I have signed up  .Whats the next step ?
  • Golfer said:
    I have signed up  .Whats the next step ?
    wait :) Athom needs to add you to testflight and they are doing this in batches 
  • Is it possible in this app to select different sounds for different notifications on your phone? It would be handy if the 'door open' notification has another sound to it than 'Smoke Detected' .
    Or is there another way to do this?
  • You could use different notification-systems like i.e. telegram. As for Homey notifications there's an issue:
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1632
  • tb1962tb1962 Member
    edited December 2017
    DrDoom said:
    Is it possible in this app to select different sounds for different notifications on your phone? It would be handy if the 'door open' notification has another sound to it than 'Smoke Detected' .
    @DrDoom
    If you use android you can try MacroDroid. (Very handy too, if you plan to use geofencing). another app is Tasker but that one is more complex
  • Thanks for the tips. Yes, using android. I will look into MacroDroid.
  • tb1962 said:
    DrDoom said:
    Is it possible in this app to select different sounds for different notifications on your phone? It would be handy if the 'door open' notification has another sound to it than 'Smoke Detected' .
    @DrDoom
    If you use android you can try MacroDroid. (Very handy too, if you plan to use geofencing). another app is Tasker but that one is more complex

I'm interested in geofencing and did install MacroDroid. But I don't see how to use Geofencing and how to use it in Homey also?

Is there somewhere an example.how to use this?

• canedje said:
    tb1962 said:
    DrDoom said:
    @DrDoom

I'm interested in geofencing and did install MacroDroid. But I don't see how to use Geofencing and how to use it in Homey also?

Is there somewhere an example.how to use this?

@canedje
    a good starting point is https://forum.athom.com/discussion/996/tutorial-using-tasker-together-with-homey/p1
    Although for Tasker, the plugin that he is using (Resttask) is also needed for MacroDroid.
    In Macrodroid create a new macro and choose geofence trigger and choose the option you want (going in or going out area) Next choose on the google maps a location and diameter (needed for latitude and longitude values). Next select action and specify what you want to do (That is where you call resttask)
    One tip: make the going out area large then the going in area. I have the going in area set to 350 meters and the going out area to 500 meters

The tricky part of this is the battery saving of android (depending of your phone manafacturer). When the phone is asleep and the screen is off Android won't let apps communicate using restapi. So in your macro, before calling the Resttask plugin you need to switch display on and after the Resttask has executed, switch it off (if it was off before). You may also need to tweak the battery saving options of your phone.

Depending on you technical skills it may take some practice to create a good working macro. On IOS it is even more complex (if possible at all). But if you do it right it works very stable.

• Does the new BETA identifiy phones differently compared to the old?
    My workflows with push notifications appear no longer to be functioning. After checking why (removing the push notification and adding it again) it now shows two phones;

Oneplus 5 (old)
    OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 (newly added?)

After changing push notifcations to the newly added, it seems to work again and notifications come in on Homey Preview and not Homey.
  • Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    edited December 2017
    The answer is yes. Each app gives you a Phone on homey... one for the old app and one for the new app
  • Oy1974 said:
    The answer is yes. Each app gives you a Phone on homey... one for the old app and one for the new app
    I do hope when the preview becomes stable, it won't do that.
  • Is there a reason that you can't install it on a tablet and only on a smartphone?
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited December 2017
    Rex said:
    Is there a reason that you can't install it on a tablet and only on a smartphone?
    All that information is in the startpost that tablet support will be added later, first all functionality 

Traveler said:
    Oy1974 said:
    I do hope when the preview becomes stable, it won't do that.
    It's logic because every app has it's own configuration and the new app is beta so extra next to the stable old one. The old app will be removed when the new app is stable so when the new app is official instead of beta 

• Just saw the preview of the new app, liked it but .. 
    can we also have a "white" selector for the color lights? 
    you know how difficult it is to pick the proper color when you can pick 16 million? 
    i'd like to see a slider (or something) to select just the whites something like this: 
    https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/blxo-2kvUBHODDVy5VQ0iQL9xIM=/2016/12/09/384385be-cdf6-4c81-9c4f-42c47e3878da/lifx-vs-philips-hue-apps-2016.jpg

on the right obviously 
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited January 2018
    @techniman
    you are talking about the light temperature bar that is right above the color selector?
    nvm, you were already talking about the new new app that is not done yet.
    but since the non fancy app has it, no doubt it will get an light temperature selector, maybe already there, and with just an swipe to the side enough
  • Hi,
    I'm probably just being stupid but I have three times tried to "sign up" for the iphone app beta through the web page, I keep entering my slack username and then checking slack nothing seems to happen - could anyone help me by explaining how you download the app.  It seems to be in play store on android.  I have an iphone 7.
    Thanks guys
    David
  • Hi,
    I'm probably just being stupid but I have three times tried to "sign up" for the iphone app beta through the web page, I keep entering my slack username and then checking slack nothing seems to happen - could anyone help me by explaining how you download the app.  It seems to be in play store on android.  I have an iphone 7.
    Thanks guys
    David
    After the signup for iOS (iPhone) you need to wait until Athom added you to testflight, that's the way how Apple works with beta installs. So you just need to wait until you are added, you will get an email
  • Hi there,

I have installed the Homey (Preview) app and it looks pretty impressive. Found myself one of the last Homey's available earlier this week and switched over from Domoticz in an afternoon, so that wasn't too bad. The really HUGE thing I miss, compared to Domotiocz is the Dashboard, where I can choose what to show. Even when the actual design of the Domoticz dashboard is mediocre at best, it is very useful, especially with non tech users in the house. They want buttuns for actions and forget about the rest. It's absolutely no use displaying endless lists of hardware, especially when most of the interaction is through Virtual Devices coupled with a flow of some sort. 

When using manual switching, it's vital to have a comprehensive dashboard, preferably one where you can adjust the design/order of the switches and sensor readouts.

Ideally, I would say something like the Windows 10 Mobile interface would be absolutely killer, as it gives you the chance to customize the content of the screen to your preferences and it allows maximum usage of the scarce real estate on a mobile screen.

I recently switched from Windows Mobile 10 to Android (only because no new phones are coming out) and the first thing I installed was the SquareHome2 launcher, which is a perfect example of how the Windows Mobile interface can effectively be used on Android. It has even more options for customizing than the Windows Mobile and works with live tiles... Something like that for a Homey dashboard would be absolutely fantastic en very, very useful! 

I have been reading about the new app and the Mobile first mantra. I would strongly suggest not to send the desktop version to oblivion. For operating Homey switches and actions and occasional quick adjustment to a flow or setting, Mobile will do, but for serious configuration and composing elaborate flows, nothing beats a good old large screen, keyboard and  mouse.

Keep up the good work!

Mark