This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
InfraRed

adding discrete IR commands from hex code

Hi All,

Although most remote controls only offer a power toggle (on/off), a great number of devices can also handle discrete on or off signals.
These IR commans could be really helpfull for my flow. For example, my wife always leaves the receiver on. When we are leaving the house, I could use the discrete ir command "off" and fire it a couple of times to make sure the receiver gets the "off" signal.

The problem now is to get homey to learn these discrete IR commands. I can find the IR HEX codes online for the signals I want to use, but I don't know how to add these homey.

I own a Harmony remote, but these discrete IR commands are also not available in the harmony library, and there's no way to add these from the HEX code.

Has anyone had the same problem/question? How did you guys tackle this problem?
Do I need to create an app (I have absolute no developer skills)?

Tagged:

Comments

• For IR you can learn Signals to Homey:

• janusqqjanusqq Member
    edited November 2017
    Thanks, but the device is not found, and I can't make a copy, since my standard remote doesn't have discrete on or off, only power toggle.
    The question  I have is how to add commands without having a remote control with that command
  • janusqq said:
    Thanks, but the device is not found, and I can't make a copy, since my standard remote doesn't have discrete on or off, only power toggle.
    The question  I have is how to add commands without having a remote control with that command
    Well if the device can't controll it how must Homey do this then? You can just use the power for on/off only you don't know the state because that's not send back
  • Work around is to add a power plug (e.g. Fibaro) and measure power usage to check  if device is on/off. And for the hex codes found online you might use a mobile device app (if it has IR), no experience myself though. 
  • janusqq said:
    Well if the device can't controll it how must Homey do this then? You can just use the power for on/off only you don't know the state because that's not send back
    That's the whole point. The remote control that comes with the receiver doesn't have these separate on and off buttons, BUT, the receiver does have this function. Pioneer even lists these ir codes on their website. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Home-Entertainment-Custom-Install/IR+Codes
    There are even websites dedicated in to finding and sharing these discrete ir codes.

When a remote control's only button to turn on and off a TV set is labeled Power, it is usually a "toggle" com-mand. Test it by pressing the button twice. If the power button turns on the TV, then turns it off, it is a togglecommand. You cannot predict whether the component will power on or not. That is a big problem when youare programming macros!

Discrete means that the function of the command is "separate and distinct" from any other function. On aremote control with "discrete" power commands, there are two power buttons. One that only turns the com-ponent on, and another that only turns the component off.The most commonly sought "discrete" commands are for power on, power off and for TV and Surround SoundReceiver INPUT selection. These discrete commands will make your macros work every time.

"Secret" Discrete Codes exist for some components. Why are they secret? Because the manufacturerwants the remote control that accompanies the component to have the simplest appearance (fewest buttons).Since toggles reduce the number of buttons, they make the remote control appear easier to operate. Manymanufacturers understand the needs of custom installers and build their components to also respond to dis-crete codes. They distribute the discrete codes via service remotes, etc. For the first time, those codes are col-lected and integrated into our database
  • Work around is to add a power plug (e.g. Fibaro) and measure power usage to check  if device is on/off. And for the hex codes found online you might use a mobile device app (if it has IR), no experience myself though. 

Thanks, I see that there are android apps who can translate hex to IR for phones with IR embedded.
    https://irplus-remote.github.io/
    I will ask around if one of my friends own a phone with IR.