This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[NEW] Netgear router app

Comments

• matrovermatrover Member
    edited November 2017
    The router name is default Orbi-RBR50 (if just tried it without the "-" same error)

here are my specs: 
    Hardware Version    RBR50
    Firmware Version    V2.0.0.74
    GUI Language Version    V1.0.0.302
    Operation Mode    Router

What are yours @WouterNLD

Edit: i read the question wrong, no the attached devices only have normal characters and "-" "_" in there names
    Edit 2: @gruijter_dev  i found a space in an network name (of a device with i cant edit) could that be the troublemaker? 
  • Yes, maybe. It probably isnt a space but somethinf else. You could try to simply disconnect or shut down this device and see if it makes a difference
  • Yes, maybe. It probably isnt a space but somethinf else. You could try to simply disconnect or shut down this device and see if it makes a difference

Yeah, that isnt an easy one, its tucked away behind the dishwasher... so i cant (easily). 
  • Update: it works!

ive made an new wireless and connected Homey and my computer and now it works. so its defenetly an device name in my network, i going to continue my search
  • @matrover Great research! Please let me know what character(s) are causing this. If I know what it is I can maybe filter these characters out before parsing the xml (getting all technical now  ;) )
  • Everything working except for up/down speed..... It varies a lot from the actual speed it only report 0.01 to 0.50 and with speedtest it is more than 150 mps. Is there somewhere i can adjust something ? :-)

And thanks again for a cool app !
  • Everything working except for up/down speed..... It varies a lot from the actual speed it only report 0.01 to 0.50 and with speedtest it is more than 150 mps. Is there somewhere i can adjust something ? :-)

And thanks again for a cool app !
    My speed is also 0.02 en 0.03 en it should be more than 300 en 30 on my R7000
  • Assuming you are on the stable version I can inform you that this is solved already in the beta version

• Assuming you are on the stable version I can inform you that this is solved already in the beta version

your assumption was wright and good to (hear) read
  • I unfortunately experience the same. I had only configured the router, but did not use it until just a few minutes ago.

Anyways, exactly the same screen as @matrover posted above.

The log states:
    2017-11-27T19:09:44.522Z updateRouterDeviceState error: Error: Error: Invalid character in entity name Line: 158 Column: 21 Char: at parseString (/netgear.js:385:15) at Parser. (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:307:18) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Parser.emit (events.js:211:7) at SAXParser.onerror (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:122:26) at emit (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:624:35) at error (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:653:5) at strictFail (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:677:7) at SAXParser.write (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:1491:13) at Parser.exports.Parser.Parser.parseString (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:322:31)
    2017-11-27T19:10:44.523Z updateRouterDeviceState error: Error: Error: Invalid character in entity name Line: 158 Column: 21 Char: at parseString (/netgear.js:385:15) at Parser. (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:307:18) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Parser.emit (events.js:211:7) at SAXParser.onerror (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:122:26) at emit (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:624:35) at error (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:653:5) at strictFail (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:677:7) at SAXParser.write (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:1491:13) at Parser.exports.Parser.Parser.parseString (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:322:31)
    etc.
  • Ok, do you have a diffetent orbi from @WouterNLD ? He didnt report a problem.

Do you have weird devicenames attached to your router maybe ( I mean names with non standard characters)?
    My Heos devices registered as 'D&M Holdings Inc.' and a few with the '-' character. Those contain the only non alphabetic characters in the whole list.
  • Ureka! It took me an evening, but ive managed to get it working. 

The problem was / are my heos speakers. There names arent weird but the manufacturer is “D & M Holdings” and i think the “&” gives the error.

@WouterNLD could you verify this / do you have any weird characters in the names or manufacturers your network? 
  • WouterNLD said:
    Ok, do you have a diffetent orbi from @WouterNLD ? He didnt report a problem.

Do you have weird devicenames attached to your router maybe ( I mean names with non standard characters)?
    My Heos devices registered as 'D&M Holdings Inc.' and a few with the '-' character. Those contain the only non alphabetic characters in the whole list.
    Whahah, if you have heos too, i think we have found the issue indeed 
  • @matrover @WouterNLD Good work guys :p I have contacted the developer of the xml parser module Im using. I think he should fix it in his module, but if not I will figure out a workaround. Im just not sure if the xml parser has more characters on which it chokes.

By the way, you both reported a slightly different string for the devicename. Could you post the exact string you get (copy paste)?
  • @matrover @WouterNLD Good work guys :p I have contacted the developer of the xml parser module Im using. I think he should fix it in his module, but if not I will figure out a workaround. Im just not sure if the xml parser has more characters on which it chokes.

By the way, you both reported a slightly different string for the devicename. Could you post the exact string you get (copy paste)?
    its the string like WouterNLD posted 'D&M Holdings Inc.'
  • Ok, thx. I have done some reading on xml, and the & character is special, along with some other characters like ' " > < . You can only use these characters if the server 'escapes' them.

So this means the root cause of the problem is that Netgear is producing xml that is not compliant to the xml standard. :s :'(

I'm working to find a workaround, with some help from the xml parser developer.
  • New Alpha testing version with workaround is available on github.
  • New Alpha testing version with workaround is available on github.
    Tested the alpha, same error: 

2017-11-28T16:27:19.010Z {"Firmware":"V2.0.0.74NA","RegionTag":"RBR50_NA","Region":"us","Model":"RBR50","InternetConnectionStatus":"Up","ParentalControlSupported":"1","SOAPVersion":"3.14","ReadyShareSupportedLevel":"4","XCloudSupported":"1","isBlankState":"0","LoginMethod":"1.0"} 
    2017-11-28T16:27:21.674Z {"ModelName":"RBR50","Description":"Netgear Smart Wizard 3.0, specification 1.6 version","SerialNumber":"************","SignalStrength":"-4","Firmwareversion":"V2.0.0.74","SmartAgentversion":"3.0","FirewallVersion":"net-wall 2.0","VPNVersion":"","OthersoftwareVersion":"N/A","Hardwareversion":"N/A","Otherhardwareversion":"N/A","FirstUseDate":"Sunday, 30 Sep 2007 01:10:03","DeviceName":"Orbi-RBR50","FirmwareDLmethod":"HTTPS","FirmwareLastUpdate":"2017_9.30_2:21:33","FirmwareLastChecked":"2017_11.26_21:27:57","DeviceMode":"0"} 
    2017-11-28T16:27:23.246Z retrieving knownDevices from persistent storage 
    2017-11-28T16:27:23.258Z router added as device 
    2017-11-28T16:28:23.432Z login succsesfull @ driver 
    2017-11-28T16:28:29.103Z updateRouterDeviceState error: Error: Error: Invalid character in entity name Line: 227 Column: 21 Char: at parseString (/netgear.js:390:15) at Parser. (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:307:18) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Parser.emit (events.js:211:7) at SAXParser.onerror (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:122:26) at emit (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:624:35) at error (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:653:5) at strictFail (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:677:7) at SAXParser.write (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:1491:13) at Parser.exports.Parser.Parser.parseString (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:322:31)
    2017-11-28T16:29:29.019Z updateRouterDeviceState error: Error: Error: Invalid character in entity name Line: 227 Column: 21 Char: at parseString (/netgear.js:390:15) at Parser. (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:307:18) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Parser.emit (events.js:211:7) at SAXParser.onerror (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:122:26) at emit (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:624:35) at error (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:653:5) at strictFail (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:677:7) at SAXParser.write (/node_modules/sax/lib/sax.js:1491:13) at Parser.exports.Parser.Parser.parseString (/node_modules/xml2js/lib/parser.js:322:31)

• gruijter_devgruijter_dev Member
    edited November 2017
    Eureka!  :) :p

App version 1.2.0 Stable was just submitted to the app store pending approval from Athom.

This version has the following enhancements / fixes:

* Fixed several bugs, including a bug in up/down speed
    * Fixed app-crash caused by invalid device names that include the &-sign
    * Greatly expanded the supported router types. It has now been confirmed to work with:
    - WNR2000v5 (80)
    - WNDR4500v2 (5000)
    - R6250 (5000)
    - R7000 (5000)
    - R7800 (80)
    - R8000
    - R9000
    - RBR50 Orbi (80)

I also expect other types to work.
    For this version I have not received any reports on Netgear routers that do not work.

But in both cases: Please confirm in this forum if you have a supported router that is not in the above list. And please also inform me if you have a router that does not work (correctly)

• Confirmed working on an Orbi RBR50 
    with Heos speakers in the network 

Thanks for all the hard work @gruijter_dev !
  • I am on the beta version V1.20 but still the down en upload speed is a little bit low in the app.
    My speed is also 0.03 en 0.01 en it should be more than 300 en 30 on my R7000

• @Leeuw1960 are we talking about the same speed? It measures the average speed from the past minute. If you watch a full hd video, do you not see the download speed going up to a few Mbit/s after a minute? Could you post a picture from insights of your download speed of today (since midnight till now)?
  • @Leeuw1960 are we talking about the same speed? It measures the average speed from the past minute. If you watch a full hd video, do you not see the download speed going up to a few Mbit/s after a minute? Could you post a picture from insights of your download speed of today (since midnight till now)?
    I killed the device and added it again so i can't go back until midnight.
    I dint test it when i was at home and looking YouTube or Netflix i will test that this evening.
    I am at work now so the insight is when no one is at home.  :|
    So is it wright that te speed you see in Homey is nog the speed i see when i do a speedtest.?

• gruijter_devgruijter_dev Member
    edited December 2017
    The app shows the actual speed, not the maximum speed. But when you do a speedtest you should see a spike in insights. Since the built-in netgear speedtest takes less than a minute, the actual speed you see in insights will be less then the maximum speed (about one half or a third)
  • The app shows the actual speed, not the maximum speed. But when you do a speedtest you should see a spike in insights. Since the built-in netgear speedtest takes less than a minute, the actual speed you see in insights will be less then the maximum speed (about one half or a third)
    I look remote to my surveillance camera's and yes it peekt up tot 19 - 20 Mbit/s
  • New version 1.3.0 was just uploaded to the appstore and is pending approval.

Changes:
    * Fix option to empty the known devices list.
    * Added automatic soap port detection during pairing.
    * Several minor tweaks.

This version is running very stable on my R7800. I hope you can enjoy it as well ;)
  • Hi,
    just an idea for a new feature:
    Making som kind of "whitelist" feature or "group" feature in settings that can then be referred to in a flow card - kind of the way the "Devices" flow card works with any, some, none in a zone.

Like in the flow below:
    The goal is to turn off power to the printer if none of the two PCs are online, which can be done by
    IF a device goes offline AND [[it's PC-1 AND PC-1 is offline AND PC-2 is offline] OR [it's PC-2 AND PC-1 if offline AND PC-2 is offline]] THEN switch off the printer.
    The initial check whether it is PC-1 or PC-2 is to avoid triggering the flow in it's full every time a unit goes offline.

Have the reciprocal flow, switching on the printer if one of the PCs are online as well.

In this case, when only two devices are involved, it's pretty straightforward, three devices will be possible, but four or more is not possible with only three "or" spaces available in the flow.

If it was possible to make a list (one or more) it would be possible to make a flow like:
    IF a device goes offline AND the device is on "this list" AND no devices "on this list" are online THEN...

Hope I've described my idea in a way that it's understandable - but please ask, if something is unclear.
    Regards,
    Chr.
  • Hi chr,

Thx for the input. Always nice to see how people are using the app. I think I do understand what you would like to have. But I do not see grouping of devices as something the netgear app should handle. It would deviate too much from the core functionality that I intend to support. It is more something that should be part of flow functionality. You can always make multiple flows to achieve what you want with more then 3 devices. Also you might want to check some other apps like better logic, virtual devices, and device groups, to see if that works for you.
  • Hi @gruijter_dev,
    You're completely right, it can be done by making several flows - and as far as I can figure out, neither Better Logic, Virtual Devices, or Device Groups can provide shortcuts on that - I just like keeping the number of flows as low as possible :-)hopefully, you'll sit some day having nothing to do and realise, that this was one of the best ways to improve the app jump right into making it ;-)
    Still, it's a great app <span>:smiley:</span>
    Chr.