This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Smartphone App (Preview)

Comments

• Pietje5 said:
    There's still the Google Chrome posibility i guess.....
    Can @Bram confirm that access via Chrome browser will stay possible in the future?
  • The future is far away still, only a small percentage of the apps is on SDK2 now. Normal usage stays possible (heck, already is possible through @swttt 's app) but creating flows is still under discussion afaik.
  • If they would also take away the browser possibility I think they will lose massive functionality and easy accesibility.
    IMHO it would be a massive mistake
  • Priknr1 said:
    If they would also take away the browser possibility I think they will lose massive functionality and easy accesibility.
    IMHO it would be a massive mistake
    excactly!
  • bvdbos said:
    The future is far away still, only a small percentage of the apps is on SDK2 now. Normal usage stays possible (heck, already is possible through @swttt 's app) but creating flows is still under discussion afaik.
    Don´t agree future is far away, future is starting now!
    Don´t understand what is the relation with SDK2.
    Don't understand what @swttt ;app you mean.
    Everyone is free to comment of course, but the question was asked to @Bram

• When I cannot work with a normal screen (>= 15") and keyboard I'll get crazy. It will degrade Homey from a semi-professional into an amature system.
  • For now the access via Chrome will stay, however it could be that we are going to disable this in the future
  • I'm also very disappointed to hear that Homey is not accessible soon with a desktop app.

For I bought my Homey I was a user of ICS2000 and was also only accessible on with android or IOS devices. One of the reasons that I changed to Homey was the desktop app. I think it’s still the best way to create Flows.

And also the message I read about the disability from some people I can tell you that a family friend of us is also disabled and the only way to communicate is with a desktop pc because you have more devices to get control, it’s impossible for him to use a tablet or smart phone.

Please explain me the reason for this change that Homey only will be accessible on an android or IOS platform? I think that a lot of users will be happy that the desktop app will stay be available.

• Rex said:

I'm also very disappointed to hear that Homey is not accessible soon with a desktop app.

For I bought my Homey I was a user of ICS2000 and was also only accessible on with android or IOS devices. One of the reasons that I changed to Homey was the desktop app. I think it’s still the best way to create Flows.

And also the message I read about the disability from some people I can tell you that a family friend of us is also disabled and the only way to communicate is with a desktop pc because you have more devices to get control, it’s impossible for him to use a tablet or smart phone.

Please explain me the reason for this change that Homey only will be accessible on an android or IOS platform? I think that a lot of users will be happy that the desktop app will stay be available.

I am at your side. 

But. Doesnt the browser pages do exactly the same as the Desktop app?  In my case even better, because the Appstore button does not work for me in the Desktop app, but does work in the browser.

So wouldn't the browser version be sufficient?
  • Maybe as a semi solution they can also do it like Homewizard does. They just port the android app to the website. So you can use the computer, but Athom does not have all the work of maintaining a completely different web interface. 

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited November 2017
    @bram wrote "however it could be that we are going to disable this in the future" -> so "could" and the people at Athom are smart enough not to kill normal pc-usage :) And BTW, I never used the desktop-app, chrome browser works exactly the same. Even firefox works except for one scrollbar.  So maybe they'll do the same as @JeroenKleijn says, maybe they find a better solution (expecting the last, knowing them a bit....)
  • Bram said:
    For now the access via Chrome will stay, however it could be that we are going to disable this in the future
    Well, please don't... I'm fine with losing desktop app if browser support stays, but iOS/Android as the only alternative - thats a bleak future. Great if you can do all Homey tasks in the phone app as well, but it is not a suitable environment for developing flows. Having to drag out a tablet to configure Homey would be a step backwards, a mistake IMHO. Look into using React and Native React for example, that allows for JS cross platform development.
  • clindh said:
    Bram said:
    For now the access via Chrome will stay, however it could be that we are going to disable this in the future
    Well, please don't... I'm fine with losing desktop app if browser support stays, but iOS/Android as the only alternative - thats a bleak future. Great if you can do all Homey tasks in the phone app as well, but it is not a suitable environment for developing flows. Having to drag out a tablet to configure Homey would be a step backwards, a mistake IMHO. Look into using React and Native React for example, that allows for JS cross platform development.
    The new app 2.0  is build with react native, that's why they told that a windows app in the future may be possible :)
  • Will the new app support scenes like HomeKit does?
    It’s really helpful to actually see the current status of your home (like sleeping) and switching between those.
  • xAPPOxAPPO Member
    edited November 2017
    Another +1 for keeping desktop access, web based is fine even if you only support a specific browser.
  • For me also a Desktop version is a Must Have. mobile App only is not working.
  • For now it seems like the web-api will support enough functions to be able to keep the current UI (or recreate it) so it looks like webbased won't change (much anyway). I'm still confident Athom will deliver a satisfactory solution for people like me who really want to stay on desktop...
  • Hi guys,

I know that the app is still in beta, but what about super for Android wear (2.0)? And support for widgets? Those are things I have Always missed about the Homey app(s) Is this allready on the roadmap?

Cheers,
    Marcel

• Is Athom also developing some kind of dashboard on top of the smartphone app? It would be very usefull to combine rss feeds from nu.nl or your calendar events on the same page as the buttons for the lights.

Really like the solution for the control of the LIFX ligths (wish it would respond a little but faster). Looking forward to the addition of starting LIFX scenes.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited November 2017
    Jesper said:
    Is Athom also developing some kind of dashboard on top of the smartphone app? It would be very usefull to combine rss feeds from nu.nl or your calendar events on the same page as the buttons for the lights.

Really like the solution for the control of the LIFX ligths (wish it would respond a little but faster). Looking forward to the addition of starting LIFX scenes.
    They have it on the roadmap but no eta. In the meantime you can use HomeyDash made by @swttt ;

Offtopic but answer to your question, zones have been made in the new LIFX app, just take a look at the LIFX topic :) 
  • Athom is facing the same problem as I am at work. We are building a RN app as well and have tons of customers that want a Windows desktop app. Meanwhile React Native has no Windows version. It isn't impossible, but requires a lot of effort. So we are both hoping for a solution that makes the windows users happy.

• bvdbos said:
    For now it seems like the web-api will support enough functions to be able to keep the current UI (or recreate it) so it looks like webbased won't change (much anyway). I'm still confident Athom will deliver a satisfactory solution for people like me who really want to stay on desktop...
    I think it's not so much about people who WANT to stay on a desktop, but most of all for people who NEED to stay on a desktop.
    I think that our disabled fellows may be the best example for that. They might need bigger screens with user-definable contrast and character-size for their eyes... and how about people that need external hardware to operate their PC, such as people with missing limbs or disturbances in their nervous system?  And... it is not entirely coincidental that this group of people could benefit greatly, if not the most from accessable home automation.
  • Hi guys,

I know that the app is still in beta, but what about super for Android wear (2.0)? And support for widgets? Those are things I have Always missed about the Homey app(s) Is this allready on the roadmap?

Cheers,
    Marcel

Anyone please? 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited December 2017
    Hi guys,

Cheers,
    Marcel

Anyone please? 
    As said in the startpost and in the forum rules issues and feature requests needs to be made at the github of Athom to be a official request or issue. Athom is not monitoring the community forum actively so if you want to bumb this you better make a feature request at Github where Athom can respond to the idea
  • Nice to see the first steps if the Flow Editor in the new release 
  • I share the sentiment of many others here. No desktop app is a dealbreaker. But as we already have the device I guess there's no deal to break anymore. :')

That said the new app seems to be almost as functional as the website for my use cases, the only downside that it doesn't look as nice (imo) as the webinterface / old app, but I guess that may change in the future.
  • Upgraded tot (v2) 1.0 (101) iOS but since this morning, I can’t open the app anymore. Keeps crashing after half a second
  • Lesley said:
    Upgraded tot (v2) 1.0 (101) iOS but since this morning, I can’t open the app anymore. Keeps crashing after half a second
    same problem here
  • Lesley said:
    Upgraded tot (v2) 1.0 (101) iOS but since this morning, I can’t open the app anymore. Keeps crashing after half a second
    same here

• It is next to impossible to filter out requirements/feature/bugs in GitHub for the V2 mobile app from Athom. The "[app v2]" tag results in more than just issues for the new app. And I cannot imagine these are all the features that Athom wants to put in there. Is there an external feature list on another site? Does Athom have an internal feature list? Do they care to share it/publish it? E.g. speech control via the new app (that worked via the old app) is nowhere to be found. Is it coming back? Not? Lots of questions like these come to mind...