This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Internet required

I was wondering, since I do not see anything alike my question in here, what kind of internet connections are made. I'm very strict about allowing internet access from devices from my internal network, but do like smart devices/gadgets. :smile: 

I read in here that the voice commands need an internet connection to process it.
Since I do not plan to use Homey voice-controlled, are there any other things that need a connection? Or can I just deny any access from the IP address Homey is working with?

Comments

• honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    You need internet connection for:

Software updates
    Using the mobile app when away from home
    IFTTT
    Some wifi/bridge based devices
  • erottiererottier Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the reaction!

Ow... That unfortunately sounds like it's not the device for me then.
    Software updates, of course, but I'd like a device that has no other connection to the developer or any other 3rd party...

Shame, it seemed like the perfect device! Hopefully this will change then someday. :smile: 

Edit, failed to say thanks, now I do.
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    It is absolutely your choice if you want to use the app outside of your house. It`s not a Homey specific thing, all HA controller with mobile app needs internet connection. In fact homey is smart as it wont use the internet if you use your app with your home WiFi.

If you use Z-wave, Zigbee, 433Mhz, 866Mhz, IR devices only than you don`t have to worry about the last two points.
  • DD Member
    edited January 2016
    honey said:
    You need internet connection for:

Software updates
    Using the mobile app when away from home
    IFTTT
    Some wifi/bridge based devices
    erottier said:
    Ow... That unfortunately sounds like it's not the device for me then.
    Software updates, of course, but I'd like a device that has no other connection to the developer or any other 3rd party...

Shame, it seemed like the perfect device! Hopefully this will change then someday. smile 

Edit, failed to say thanks, now I do.
    I don't see what's holding you back. Which connection is the problem? They're all optional. If you don't connect Homey to the internet it will still work, except for voice control.

(I'm not trying to convince you, but I'm very strict about my data as well, so I'm curious about your reasoning)
  • its too bad that IFTTT relies on internet, why is that?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited January 2016
    Because all your recipes run from their servers. Nothing is local. 
  • The local WHEN - AND - THEN scenarios/flows will trigger and work without any internet connection. So your WHEN sensor triggered - AND past 8PM - THEN Lights on will still work. 
    Linking with the IFTTT servers (for advanced users and even more linking possibilities) will obviously not work, nor will any internet-related information (like weather forecasts or streaming music), nor services (like push notifications on your phone).

In short, Homey can work on your local network (after installation and first authentication). You are however missing voice input (output works), internet services (obviously), addition of new users, installing of new apps/devices and support for some smart gadgets that just provide an Internet API (Like Nest). Also, using the app from outside your WiFi (or VPN) will not work.
This discussion has been closed.