This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[App] Smart Presence

Hello all

The Smart Presence is working pretty good most of the time. However, when I'm not using my Samsung Galaxy S6 (android 6) for an hour (not clicking on the home button or moving it around) it switches to some kind of sleep mode. This only happens when my phone is not charging. In sleep mode the Smart Presence app is not able to detect my phone anymore. I do not have this problem with the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini (android 4) of my girlfriend. Does somebody now how to prevent my phone going into sleep mode or have some kind of app or tasker profile+task which prevents this? Set keep WiFi on in sleep is not working for this.

Comments

• technimantechniman Member
    edited February 2017
    This is a setting on your phone, i'm not sure where you can change it
    it might be settings >Wi-Fi>more>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep>always (uses more battery)

I have that turned to ON in my S7 Edge and smart presence works like a charm
    If this does not work for you there must be another setting preventing this..    
    you could create a Tasker profile with a "wifi connected" or "wifi near" trigger, 
    this should also keep the wifi on, but you might need to remove Tasker from the "Doze" list
  • techniman said:
    it might be settings >Wi-Fi>more>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep>always (uses more battery)

you could create a Tasker profile with a "wifi connected" or "wifi near" trigger, 
    this should also keep the wifi on, but you might need to remove Tasker from the "Doze" list
    I also have that turned ON on my Samsung S6 but when I'm not moving my phone it will eventually go into sleep mode. 
    Does it also work for you when you did not move the phone for more than a hour?
  • techniman said:

@techniman What did you use as your task for this?
    Profile: State>Net>Wifi Near
    Task: (Net>Wifi Net>Reconnect?)

Cheers
  • Didnt find a support thread for the Smart Presence app so I'll just hijack this thread. I also posted this as comment in the app store but that isnt really suitable for some discussion. My question is if there an api for Smart Presence enabling me to use smart presence together with other geolocation solutions? I would like to be able to update user statuses when they are coming home but or not in reach of the WiFi network yet.
  • Is someone using this app with a samsung s8?
  • mbalik79 said:
    Is someone using this app with a samsung s8?
    With a S7, but what's your question?
  • @keverjeroen
    What are you're settings. My phone goes offline (away) all the time. Have already changed the settings that the wifi is always on (wifispaarstand=off). But if i turn the screen on, my phone is back again. Have the problem also with a Samsung A5 2017. Did already a portscan to see which port is open so I can ping that one, but nothing found.
    A Samung A5 2015 is running well with the app, so it must be something in the phone (both Android 7.0)
  • same here with the galaxy S7edge. For presence I Use the App Tasker. That Works great over here with 3 Phones.
  • @glijie so you had the same problem with the app? Phone goes away even when you are on the wifi
  • yep, we have also a samsung A3 2016 phone and with that phone no issues at all
  • mbalik79mbalik79 Member
    edited November 2017
    @glije
    Thanks for you're answer..gonna search further..maybe I should also install tasker or do someting with ifttt
  • mbalik79 said:
    @glije
    Thanks for you're answer..gonna search further..maybe I should also install tasker or do someting with ifttt
    I Use Tasker with the HTTP App , works perfect 
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited November 2017
    *** Please ignore

• @Eternity exactly the same overhere. First for over a half year no problems..nothing changed in the settings. Now it's not reliable anymore...
    Only changes:
    -new experimental firmware homey
    -app update

Did install the old version of smart presence and that has the same problem now. So I think someting changed in homey's firmware, that causes the problem
  • I had the same trouble that my S7 or my wife her S8 went offline while they were still on wifi. The app now supports a stress time that works for all devices. 

Normal time out is 120
    Stress kicks in after 60

Solved for all 3 devices in our case all Samsung
    edited November 2017
    @mbalik79

On the App page it suggests to simple save the App settings again. I did that, and I checked the 3 phones and saved the settings (unchanged!) again. Now it seems to work fine :-)

Try that! Hope it works for you too!
  • @Eternity
    Will try it tonight. Have to go to work till 10pm. Thanks..will let you know
  • @mbalik79

Can confirm it solved my issues!
    Good luck!
  • mbalik79mbalik79 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Eternity
    Nope it won't work for me...after 2 a 3 minutes the status is again offline. And then after 2minutes or so it goes  sometimes online again. 
    It was working great, till the firmware/app update..don't know what happens. Nothing changed overhere..

What did I do so far:
    -> Re-installed old app version -- NOK
    -> De-installed old app, pull the plug for 5 minutes, install new app store version --NOK
    -> Pull the plug of the router (and restart  ;) ) -> NOK
    -> Save the settings a couple off times without changing anything (device settings/app settings) -> NOK

Strange thing is that a Samsung A5 2015 is not having these problems. If I watch in the android Fing app, everytime I see all the devices in the network. They don't disapere..

These are my settings now:

Did test the IFTTT app and then make an applet with an android device (when connected to a specific wifi-network) and that keeps working, but is not the solution... But I am gone from friday-eve till sunday so had to do something.

If someone has some idea..i willing to try..

BTW: Using a Ziggo Connectbox, I know... But it worked till last tuesday.

• Tried the hole thing again..but still going off-line with android 7.0 (on 2 devices, Samsung A5 2017 and Samsung S8)
  • I have the same issue. One Phone working perfectly and the other keeps being offline. In the logs both phones are appearing and disappearing all the time:

: Can't find device.
    : Found device.
  • Same here, I guess it's a combination of software and hardware.

ZUK Z2 Pro with Android 6 = OK
    ZUK Z2 Pro with Android 7 != OK
    Nexus 5X with Android 6 = OK
    Nexus 5X with Android 7 = OK
    Nexus 5X with Android 8 = OK
  • marcelwolfmarcelwolf Member
    edited November 2017
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and having the same problems. 
    Reinstalling the app doesnt work.
    Android versie 7.0
  • For me this app unfortunately wasn't reliable anymore. I've now made my own solution:
    My NAS does a ping to the devices and immediatly afterwards it checks on a valid MAC-address in the arp table. These values are written to a MySQL database if a certain threshold is exceeded (1= home, 0= away). I use https://apps.athom.com/app/nl.rebtor.sql to get these values to Homey. 

This works perfectly for my situation.
  • canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017
    I use Smart Presence App to detect if somebody is home or not.
    Some time it can not find devices and do find it back a couple off seconds later when at home.
    I wonder if somebody know what the ideal settimgs are to prevent this loss both at the router and the device app in homey?
    I do have a netgear X6 R8000 router and installed the App on Homey also.
    So far I only played with the settings from the Smart Presence App
    Current settings see below. and standard setting netgear router App see below
    Problems appear the most with samsung s7 edges
    But also with iPhone's.
    I think it has to do with energy saving mode. Because my router is also saying the Phone is disconnecting and connecting again.

• canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017
    Caros said:
    For me this app unfortunately wasn't reliable anymore. I've now made my own solution:
    My NAS does a ping to the devices and immediatly afterwards it checks on a valid MAC-address in the arp table. These values are written to a MySQL database if a certain threshold is exceeded (1= home, 0= away). I use https://apps.athom.com/app/nl.rebtor.sql to get these values to Homey. 

This works perfectly for my situation.
    Sounds good.
    Can you explain in steps how to build this solution?
    Or maybe there is a possibility to use a Raspberry Pi doing this?

• Since Android 7.0 I can't use Smart Presence anymore. I changed to Tasker to change the 'Presence' variable when I am in the neighbourhood or connecting to my router. Works like a charm.
    See this link how to use it. 
  • Android 7 messed up my perfectly working system. :(
    No matter what settings you change (phone or SmartPresence), it just doesn't work anymore...
    edited December 2017
    Oddly enough, on my Android 7 phone Smart Presence is still working correctly, but here two iPhones (a 6 and a 6s) are now continuously flipping between away/present . They were stable for months!

I have been playing with the settings in Homey for both iphones, but it is still not stable. 

Does anyone here have setting for a iPhone 6 that do work?
  • here iPhone 6s and iPhone 8 are not stable with this app anymore. a few month ago it wored nearly 100%